Synology CS-406 and Pinnacle (Roku) SoundBridge M1001

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Synology CS-406 and Pinnacle (Roku) SoundBridge M1001

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    SydneyGuy
    Participant

G’Day,

It’s been a wild few days for me. I recently bought a Pinnacle SoundBridge M1001 and was hoping to play music on it from my Synology CS-406 NAS. I enabled the “Multimedia Service” on the CS-406 and the SoundBridge saw my music collection and I was able to play it. But there were a few shortcomings with the Multimedia Service that may be fixed one day but I’m trying to sort out a workaround in the meantime.

I started reading forums and ended up with a bad case of information overload. But I pressed on and came to the decision that I probably needed to run either Twonky (media or music) or Firefly on my CS-406. Twonky seemed like the easier of the two so I gave that a go last night and after a while I got it working. It’s currently in 30 day trial mode and it will cost me A$50 to register it.

Now given that Firefly is free and is seemingly well supported by Roku I thought I better have a look at it too. Unfortunately I haven’t really been able to come up with a definitive answer as to whether it will run on my CS-406. I’ve seen a few cryptic installation instructions for a DS-106 but that’s about all.

So my main two quesitons are …. can Firefly run on a Synology CS-406 and if so what do I need to download and then do to get it installed? Hopefully someone has already done this and can put together a simple list that I, and hopefully any others in the same situation, can follow easily.

I look forward to trying it out and comparing it Twonky. Hopefully the zero cost option will win out!

rpedde
    Participant

@SydneyGuy wrote:

G’Day,

It’s been a wild few days for me. I recently bought a Pinnacle SoundBridge M1001 and was hoping to play music on it from my Synology CS-406 NAS. I enabled the “Multimedia Service” on the CS-406 and the SoundBridge saw my music collection and I was able to play it. But there were a few shortcomings with the Multimedia Service that may be fixed one day but I’m trying to sort out a workaround in the meantime.

I started reading forums and ended up with a bad case of information overload. But I pressed on and came to the decision that I probably needed to run either Twonky (media or music) or Firefly on my CS-406. Twonky seemed like the easier of the two so I gave that a go last night and after a while I got it working. It’s currently in 30 day trial mode and it will cost me A$50 to register it.

Now given that Firefly is free and is seemingly well supported by Roku I thought I better have a look at it too. Unfortunately I haven’t really been able to come up with a definitive answer as to whether it will run on my CS-406. I’ve seen a few cryptic installation instructions for a DS-106 but that’s about all.

So my main two quesitons are …. can Firefly run on a Synology CS-406 and if so what do I need to download and then do to get it installed? Hopefully someone has already done this and can put together a simple list that I, and hopefully any others in the same situation, can follow easily.

I look forward to trying it out and comparing it Twonky. Hopefully the zero cost option will win out!

This is the second request I’ve had for this, but I haven’t been able to find any optware-enabled firmware for it, or even any info on a compiler toolchain for it.

Have you run across anything like that?

SydneyGuy
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

This is the second request I’ve had for this, but I haven’t been able to find any optware-enabled firmware for it, or even any info on a compiler toolchain for it.

Have you run across anything like that?

I’m afraid I am no expert in the UNIX field. I learnt a bit of it back at university in the early 80’s but that’s it. I’ve seen the term optware but have no idea what it is. I know what a compiler is but don’t know where you would find one for the CS-406. Having said that, the CS-406 is a Power PC based machine. I have seen some forum posts of people running this on the Synology DS-106 which I believe is also Power PC based so maybe there is commonality there that we can make use of.

I’d really love to help you sort this out as it would obviously help me as well. I’m reading a few different forums at the moment trying to work out the best way to go. If I come across anything that I think will help I’ll definitely post it here.

I hope I don’t have to run custom firmware on the CS-406 but I am not averse to loading additional software. I managed that last night to enable telnet and to get Twonky running. At least I could remember ls -al, cd and chmod …. not bad from almost 30 years ago!!!

rpedde
    Participant

@SydneyGuy wrote:

I have seen some forum posts of people running this on the Synology DS-106 which I believe is also Power PC based so maybe there is commonality there that we can make use of.

Seems here is an optware enabler for the ppc synology machines — isn’t firmware, just the bare libraries and stuff you need to install:

http://www.mobileforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=491

Once that’s done, then you’d need a ppc version of firefly. I don’t have that in ipkg form right now, but I’ll look for a ds-106 build chain and see if I can put it together.

I’ll look around a bit.

— Ron

edit: http://oinkzwurgl.org/diskstation looks to be a good reference, and even includes info on the build chain. I’ll see what I can do with this.

SydneyGuy
    Participant

Good stuff! I certainly can’t complain about the level of support especially what I am paying for your software.

I’ve got 29 days of the Twonky trial to go so don’t bust yourself to get it done tonight ….. sometime tomorrow will be fine ๐Ÿ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@SydneyGuy wrote:

Good stuff! I certainly can’t complain about the level of support especially what I am paying for your software.

We’ll make it work or double your money back. ๐Ÿ™‚

— Ron

SydneyGuy
    Participant

It’s a shame you aren’t in Australia or I’d at least buy you a beer.

I’m downloading the optware stuff now. It will give me something to play with when I get home from work tonight.

SydneyGuy
    Participant

OK well the first part was easy. I just installed Optware on my CS-406 and from what I can tell everything went well.

Now I hope you can create a ppc version in ipkg format. Sounds easy to me ๐Ÿ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@SydneyGuy wrote:

OK well the first part was easy. I just installed Optware on my CS-406 and from what I can tell everything went well.

Now I hope you can create a ppc version in ipkg format. Sounds easy to me ๐Ÿ™‚

Hopefully I’ll have something this weekend. Stay tuned.

— Ron

SydneyGuy
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Hopefully I’ll have something this weekend. Stay tuned.

That’s great. We installed Firefly on the PC last night and we had it streaming my son’s iTunes collection to the SoundBridge. Hopefully it will work just as well on my CS-406 with my music collection.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 54 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.