mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

gnome does calll it sessions. under ubuntu its under preferences – sessions, iirc.
    or under administration – sessions.
    Anyhow, this is only executed after logon, and only if its within THE session you’re loggin in with.

rc.local is a lot nicer since its execute during the machine booting up.

IOW you don’t need to be logged on to enjoy your music.

onedotseven
    Participant

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been pretty busy and I had some problems with my partitions that led me to re-install completely my system.

So here’s what I did for Ubuntu 6.10:

– Install all the packages that Firefly needs (do not forget sqlite…), build-essential, libahavi-client-dev, libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 (not sure if this is actually required).

– edit /etc/default/avahi-daemon: AVAHI_DAEMON_START = 1

– In System > Administration > Services: enable Mulitcast Service DNS Discovery

# apt-get update
    # apt-get upgrade
    # cd /usr/local/src/
    # wget http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org/dl.php?FILE=mt-daapd-svn-1489.tar.gz
    # tar zxvf mt-daapd-svn-1489.tar.gz
    # cd /usr/local/src/mt-daapd-svn-1489
    # ./configure –prefix=/usr –sysconfdir=/etc –enable-sqlite –enable-oggvorbis –enable-flac –enable-avahi
    # make
    # make install
    # cp /usr/local/src/mt-daapd-svn-1489/contrib/mt-daapd.conf /etc/

– edit your /etc/mt-daapd.conf

# update-rc.d mt-daapd defaults

– edit /etc/rc.local and add: mt-daapd start

TA-DAH! It works, and it starts all by itself ๐Ÿ™‚

Well… OK, I still have a (small) problem. Firefly works fine, I can see the music in iTunes on a Windows PC and in Banshee on my system. But for some reason I can’t see anything in Rhythmbox. That’s too bad, cause I prefer it.

… Any ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

Well… OK, I still have a (small) problem. Firefly works fine, I can see the music in iTunes on a Windows PC and in Banshee on my system. But for some reason I can’t see anything in Rhythmbox. That’s too bad, cause I prefer it.

… Any ideas? ๐Ÿ™‚

The rhythmbox daap stuff is in a separate package — rhythmbox-daap or something. Did you install that?

onedotseven
    Participant

The version that I have is the one served with the default install of Ubuntu 6.10. And I don’t think daap is a plugin with the latest versions (it is a plugin for Banshee), and there’s nothing similar to rhythmbox-daap in the repos.

This is weird… If I start Banshee, Rhythmbox and Itunes at the same time (and Firefly working as well), I see all 3 shares in Banshee and iTunes, but I only see iTunes’ share in Rhythmbox! It seems like Rhythmbox is not seeing/looking for shares on the system it is installed.

Still googling for more info.

rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

The version that I have is the one served with the default install of Ubuntu 6.10. And I don’t think daap is a plugin with the latest versions (it is a plugin for Banshee), and there’s nothing similar to rhythmbox-daap in the repos.

This is weird… If I start Banshee, Rhythmbox and Itunes at the same time (and Firefly working as well), I see all 3 shares in Banshee and iTunes, but I only see iTunes’ share in Rhythmbox! It seems like Rhythmbox is not seeing/looking for shares on the system it is installed.

Still googling for more info.

Might be that it only looks for them on the default port. Some program do tat. Not sure why.

fizze
    Participant

Well, Rhythmbox’s DAAP implementation is buggy, anywho.
    It doesnt suppotr browsing by artist, album, etc anywho, it can just list all songs.

Playlists seem fudged too, so I consider Rhythmbox’s DAAP support to be beta. Server-Side, that is.

Client-side seems more mature, but also staggeringly unstable, connection-wise.

I’d probably resort to a different player, if I had to rely on DAAP under *IX.

onedotseven
    Participant

I didn’t really find any valuable info…

I could use Banshee, but it’s slow, buggy, doesn’t let me browse and doesn’t correctly read the ID3 tags. And the last.fm plug-in is broken.

@fizze wrote:

I’d probably resort to a different player, if I had to rely on DAAP under *IX.

What would you use? I only know Rhythmbox and Banshee. Does Amarok have a DAAP client plug-in? (And is it working well in Gnome?).

onedotseven
    Participant

Just found the information. It’s a known, confirmed bug. Local DAAP shares are not listed if their user owner is the same than the one running Rhythmbox:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/55045
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342655

onedotseven
    Participant

I added “Solved” for this topic. Thank you guys for helping me, and I hope this thread will be useful! ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.