mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    onedotseven
    Participant

Hello,

First I’m sorry if this has been already answered or if it’s a dumb question. I’m a newbie and couldn’t find an answer (or at least an easy one).

I installed Firefly on my Ubuntu system. I think this was successful: if I type mt-daapd in a terminal session, Firefly starts up and I can then access my music collection in Rhythmbox, Banshee and even in iTunes on a Windows computer on the same network.

Now I would love to not have to start Firefly with a command line every time I log in my computer… Is there a way for mt-daapd to be automatically launch upon Ubuntu start-up? I checked into the Services Startup options, but couldn’t find anything.

Thanks for your help πŸ™‚

Oh, and thanks for such a great software! Next step will be to buy a shiny new SoundBridge πŸ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

I installed Firefly on my Ubuntu system. I think this was successful: if I type mt-daapd in a terminal session, Firefly starts up and I can then access my music collection in Rhythmbox, Banshee and even in iTunes on a Windows computer on the same network.

How did you install it, from a tarball, or a package.

If there is a file called “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd”, then you already have a startup script. As root, running “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd start” should start the server, and “/etc/init.d/mt-daapd stop” should stop the server.

If so, then you can just do something like:

foo@bar:~$ sudo update-rc.d mt-daapd defaults

… or I should say, that’s how one would do it on debian. I can only assume it’s the same with ubuntu.

If you don’t have a /etc/init.d/mt-daapd, then try saving this file as “mt-daapd” in /etc/init.d, and use the “update-rc.d” command above.

That shold get you blindly running.

For more info on how the startup system works, you can read here:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit

— Ron

onedotseven
    Participant

Ron,

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I installed Firefly (SVN 1463) from a Tarball. I should also have said that I use Ubuntu 6.10.

So, I tried this command

It seemed to work (the output was “added to startup script” or something like that). I restarted Ubuntu but mt-daapd didn’t start automatically. And now, if I start it in the terminal, it doesn’t work either (I get no error message).

Edit: I un-installed completely Firefly (including configuration files), re-installed and entered the same command: mt-daapd doesn’t automatically start upon Ubuntu startup, but can be started manually.

I didn’t find any error or anything related to mt-daapd in the logs (but I’m really not an expert) and if I enter once again the command, it outputs: “System startup links for /etc/init.d/mt-daapd already exist.”

Any ideas? πŸ˜•

rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

So, I tried this command

Is there actually a file in /etc/init.d called “mt-daapd”?

If not, copy the file linked above as /etc/init.d/mt-daapd.

That should probably do it.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

I installed the latest mt-daapd on ubuntu too, and there seems to be some problem with the (new) startup stuff in 6.10. Its not System V anymore, but something different.

Just blatantly edit /etc/rc.local and add the call to /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start to that file.

There seems to be an issue with some packages that wont totally work under 6.10. avahi-daemon for instance, refuses to start for me. I do the same rc.local trick/hack/cheat, which works.

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

I installed the latest mt-daapd on ubuntu too, and there seems to be some problem with the (new) startup stuff in 6.10. Its not System V anymore, but something different.

Wow. I hadn’t noticed that. It uses upstart rather than sysvinit. Neat.

I might have to play with that, as upstart looks pretty neat.

– Ron

onedotseven
    Participant

Is there actually a file in /etc/init.d called “mt-daapd”?

Yes Ron, I have this file.

Just blatantly edit /etc/rc.local and add the call to /etc/init.d/mt-daapd start to that file.

I will try that as soon as I’m back home and will let you guys know.

Thanks so much for the help!

onedotseven
    Participant

OK, I tried that, with not much success unfortunately… πŸ™

Checking the log, the daemon seems to fire up. But I cannot see Firefly’s share in Rhythmbox or in Avahi Zeroconf Browser.

Strange thing: I can access the web admin. It tells me that mt-daapd is running, but this isn’t the case for the “Bonjour Daemon”.

When I try to start Firefly from the terminal, it crashes:

mt-daapd[5142]: Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

OK, I tried that, with not much success unfortunately… πŸ™

Checking the log, the daemon seems to fire up. But I cannot see Firefly’s share in Rhythmbox or in Avahi Zeroconf Browser.

Strange thing: I can access the web admin. It tells me that mt-daapd is running, but this isn’t the case for the “Bonjour Daemon”.

When I try to start Firefly from the terminal, it crashes:

mt-daapd[5142]: Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.

When you compiled it, did you compile with “–enable-avahi”? That might help, as it uses avahi to announce itself. It might be that if you are running avahi it steps on the build-in mdns daemon.

onedotseven
    Participant

OK, you’re going to start to hate me πŸ™‚

I did not compile with –enable-avahi. So I just tried, and I got this:

checking for AVAHI_CFLAGS...
    checking for AVAHI_LIBS...
    configure: error: Package requirements ( avahi-client >= 0.6 ) were not met.
    Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the AVAHI_CFLAGS and AVAHI_LIBS environment variables
    to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man page for
    more details.

And that’s over my understanding. I’m really new to Linux, but I feel that this is more a Linux issue than Firefly issue. So I apologize for that, and I’m really thankful if you are still up to help me.

(I don’t want to troll, but the installation was much easier on Windows :P)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.