mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd Automatic Startup Upon Ubuntu Startup [solved]

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

OK, you’re going to start to hate me πŸ™‚

I did not compile with –enable-avahi. So I just tried, and I got this:

checking for AVAHI_CFLAGS...
    checking for AVAHI_LIBS...
    configure: error: Package requirements ( avahi-client >= 0.6 ) were not met.
    Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the AVAHI_CFLAGS and AVAHI_LIBS environment variables
    to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man page for
    more details.

And that’s over my understanding. I’m really new to Linux, but I feel that this is more a Linux issue than Firefly issue. So I apologize for that, and I’m really thankful if you are still up to help me.

(I don’t want to troll, but the installation was much easier on Windows :P)

Oops, you’ll probably want avahi-devel, or avahi libs… Once I get the nightlies settled out again, I’ll work on binaries for edgy.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

well, banshee and rhythmbox need the avahi-daemon to be able to support DAAP (client/server, both).

Also, when you install the avahi-daemon, you probably have to hack up /etc/rc.local and add “avahi-daemon -D”.

its a dirty hack, but thats how i’ve gotten it to work in my ubuntu 6.10.

Oh, and inspite any further issues you might get:
    Link /bin/sh to /bin/bash πŸ˜‰

onedotseven
    Participant

So… I re-compiled, re-installed.

I used the SVN 1489 Tarball. I didn’t forget to include –enable-avahi. I made sure that I had avahi-devel… I added mt-daapd to rc.local, with avahi-daemon.

Firefly seems to work and startup upon Ubuntu startup. Yay!

But… I can’t access my music with Rhythmbox. The strangest thing is that I can access it with iTunes on my Windows machine.

Link /bin/sh to /bin/bash

That means that I change “/bin/sh -e” to “/bin/bash” on the first line of the rc.local, right?

It’s never-ending πŸ™‚ Any idea?

fizze
    Participant

regarding /bin/sh, no.

Just do a

sudo rm /bin/sh
    sudo ln -s /bin/sh /bin/bash

There were some changes made to Ubuntu 6.10, one of which changed the default shell from bash to dash. so some scripts stopped working. This can be VERY tricky. Dash is supposedly faster, but breaks compatibility.
    Some compile / make scripts for instance, just dont work without doing the above step. If you want to reverse it, just do

sudo rm /bin/sh
    sudo ln -s /bin/sh /bin/dash

anytime πŸ˜‰

Do you have music sharing enabled in Rhtythmbox?
    To see any daaap/iTunes shares, use the “Zeroconf Service Discovery” applet (if you run gnome, its deffo there). That will list all services, like iTunes servers, and so on. It also depends on avahi-daemon. So just make sure that daemon is running.

onedotseven
    Participant

Yes I have sharing enabled in Rhythmbox, yes I see the daap service on in avahi browser, yes avahi-daemon is running.

@fizze wrote:

Just do a

sudo rm /bin/sh

Well, now Ubuntu won’t start. Saying something like sh cannot be found. I’m going to do some research in Ubuntu Forums.

Sounds like, so far, 6.10 did more bad than good… Since I was kind of messing around with this system, I haven’t any critical data to lose doing a format / re-install (if that is the only solution). If I have to do that, I’ll probably wait for the Edgy binaries for Firefly before trying again.

Too bad that there’s no walkthrough installation doc available for 6.10 (like this guy did for 6.06). It seems that a lot changed in the latest version of Ubuntu, and this is affecting how Firefly is to be installed and how it works. Too bad, because Ubuntu seems to be a successful Linux distro.

I’m learning, but it’s a painful process! πŸ™‚

rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

Yes I have sharing enabled in Rhythmbox, yes I see the daap service on in avahi browser, yes avahi-daemon is running.

@fizze wrote:

Just do a

sudo rm /bin/sh

Oof. That’s:

sudo rm /bin/sh
    sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

Not the other way ’round. The other way ’round makes ubuntu not boot.

Sounds like, so far, 6.10 did more bad than good… Since I was kind of messing around with this system, I haven’t any critical data to lose doing a format / re-install (if that is the only solution). If I have to do that, I’ll probably wait for the Edgy binaries for Firefly before trying again.

You can probably hit “e” at the boot menu (assuming it’s grub), go down to the line that has the kernel parameters and add an ” init=/bin/dash” to the end of the line (not including the quotes), Hit escape, then b to boot, and you should get dropped into a shell. Then do:

cd /bin
    rm /bin/sh
    ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh

Then do a shutdown and reboot. (/sbin/shutdown -rf now). Should probably come up.

Too bad that there’s no walkthrough installation doc available for 6.10 (like this guy did for 6.06). It seems that a lot changed in the latest version of Ubuntu, and this is affecting how Firefly is to be installed and how it works. Too bad, because Ubuntu seems to be a successful Linux distro.

Well, once we’re done, then that’s what this thread will be. We’ve already learned about how not to wipe out /bin/sh. :-/

I’m learning, but it’s a painful process! πŸ™‚

Ultimately worthwhile, I hope. πŸ™‚

I always seem to learn my best lessons by breaking things.

onedotseven
    Participant

Awesome, I’m going to try the rescue mission πŸ™‚

Thanks so much Ron for the help! I’ll be back when I’m done (or when I’ve completely destroyed everything).

fizze
    Participant

Well, now Ubuntu won’t start. Saying something like sh cannot be found. I’m going to do some research in Ubuntu Forums.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Terribly sorry. But you should be able to “rescue” the install simply by booting from the install/Live-CD thingy.
    It should detect the ubuntu install and automatically mount it.

Then you should be able to issue the correct symlink command, to link /bin/sh -> /bin/bash.
    You probably want to check its right by doing a

ls -al /bin/sh

the path will be something like /media/hda3/bin/ though, not /bin.

onedotseven
    Participant

Ok, I’ll try all that. I just haven’t had the time to mess with it yet.

Meanwhile, I was just reading about XFCE and the new release (4.4). There’s something called Autostarted Applications where you can add a command that will be triggered upon startup. Exactly what I would want! “mt-daapd -y” should be OK, right?

Do you know if that kind of feature exists in Gnome?

rpedde
    Participant

@onedotseven wrote:

Ok, I’ll try all that. I just haven’t had the time to mess with it yet.

Meanwhile, I was just reading about XFCE and the new release (4.4). There’s something called Autostarted Applications where you can add a command that will be triggered upon startup. Exactly what I would want! “mt-daapd -y” should be OK, right?

Do you know if that kind of feature exists in Gnome?

Yes, but gnome calls it sessions or something. There is an editor for it somewhere in the preferences maze. So short answer is “yes, but I don’t know where”. :/

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.