How-to setup Firefly on a Synology disk station (powerpc)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues How-to setup Firefly on a Synology disk station (powerpc)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    cstern
    Participant

How to install Firefly Media Server on Synology Diskstation DS-107e (probably works on all powerpc based Synology boxes).

1) Start by setting up your DS-107e and update to firmware 518 or later (link).

2) Get the telnet patch from synology.com (link) and install it according to the instructions. Note: firmwares earlier than 518 do not support this patch

3) Using the web-interface, check the following:

a) Make sure that the admin account has a password, – if not make one.
      b) Stop the multimediaserver and iTunesserver from the network services menu (remove the check mark if set).

4) The DS-107e does not have any development tools or installation tools from the factory – it is running a rudimentary variant of linux called Busybox. So, in order to be able to install stuff we need a package manager:

a) Get the ipgk package tool from NSLU2-Linux (link). Be sure that the package is for powerpc – it is called ds101-bootstrap_1.0-4_powerpc.xsh
      b) Put the file on the DS in the public folder (e.g. from MS Windows: \diskstationpublic)
      c) Using telnet, log on to the DS107, with the username root and the password you set for admin in 3a
      d) type (note: case-sensitive!)

cd /volume1/public
      sh ds101-bootstrap_1.0-4_powerpc.xsh
      e) Wait for the installation to complete – it takes a few minutes
      f) Assuming you have a properly working TCP/IP setup on your DS107e, type

ipkg update
      g) This will update the list of packages ipkg can retrieve for installation later on.

5) Now we are ready to install Firefly:

a) get the latest installation package from mt-daapd.org (link) – it is called mt-daapd_svn-XXXX-1ds101g_powerpc.ipk, where XXXX is the current build number.
      b) copy it to the public folder on the DS.
      c) Telnet to the DS107e again (if yo closed the session in 4)
      d) type

cd /volume1/public
      ipkg install mt-da*.ipk
      e) Firefly will now install, and still provided internet access is available, retrieve and install all required supporting libraries.

6) The Synology indexing service has been reported to interfere with Firefly. And since you disabled the Multimedia service in 3 above, you don’t really need it anyway. So disable the indexing service by renaming the binary:

mv /usr/syno/bin/synoindex /usr/syno/bin/synoindex.old

Should you need the indexing service later, repeat the above command where you switch the two paths (rename synoindex.old to synoindex)

7) Finally you will have to modify the configuration file to point to the location where the music is. I assume this to be /volume1/music which is default for the standard setup of the DS107e.

You can either do this while you are in the telnet session, – then proceed to 8). Or you can use Firefly’s web-configuration interface – then skip to 10 and go through the rest of the steps incl. 14).

8) Type (follow the keystrokes literally, except the instructions in parantheses):

vi /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    / mp3_dir
    / mp3_dir

(use the right arrow key to place the cursor over the first slash after the = sign)
    (type x until all the characters after the = sign are removed)

a
    /volume1/music

(press ESC)

ZZ

9) If you make a mistake before you type ZZ, you can bail out by typing ESC followed by :q! Then start item 8 again.

10) Reboot the DS107e (use the DS107e web-interface, or just turn off and on power using the power button)

11) The restart may take a good while if you have placed a lot of music in the music shared folder.

12) Firefly needs to build the songs database first time you start the DS107 and, again depending on the amount of music, this can take very long time (from minutes to hours)

13) After a while you can access the Firefly web admin interface at http://IP-of-your-DS107e:3689, and it should be visible on the music clients. Note: the default username and password for the web-interface of Firefly is (blank) and mt-daapd.

14) If you didn’t configure the placement of the music directory in 8) above, you can do it now in the web-interface. Then repeat the steps from 10) to 13).

Links:
    http://www.synology.com/enu/support/download.php#DS107e
    http://www.synology.com/enu/support/download.php#Patches
    http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/ds101g/cross/stable/ds101-bootstrap_1.0-4_powerpc.xsh
    http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for undesired side effects of this procedure (including making your device defunct).

rpedde
    Participant

@cstern wrote:

How to install Firefly Media Server on Synology Diskstation DS-107e (probably works on all powerpc based Synology boxes).

I’m going to sticky this until I can get it ported to the wiki

Hilversum
    Participant

I just bought a DS107e and for some reason the iTunes server does not connect to both iTunes on my Mac and my Soundbridge Radio, so I decided to give it a try to install Firefly according the instructions in cstern’s post.

As I am a typical Mac user, all this technical stuff is a little difficult for me and I was quite happy to get as far as step 5d. The “cd /volume1/public” causes no problems. However, I get an error over here; after the command “ipkg install mt-da*.ipk” it says: “ipkg: invalid magic”. I also tried “ipkg install mt-daapd_svn-1696-1ds101g_powerpc.ipk” but this had the same result.

I’m kind of stuck here. I am used to funny icons, not to command line stuff. What do I need to do to get it working?

fizze
    Participant

So you did download he ipkg from the nightlies page to your DS-107?
    And you tried to execute the ipkg install command in the directory where the downloaded ipkg file is sitting?

What’s the exact filename of the ipkg?

Hilversum
    Participant

Thank you for your suggestion.

Originally I had downloaded the “mt-daapd_svn-1696-1ds101g_powerpc.ipk” file to my Mac and copied it to the DS107e, but now I have downloaded the file using the Download Manager of the DS107e, and this time installation went OK.

I still can not access the Firefly web admin interface at port 3689, so I hope he is still busy indexing. But there might be another problem; the DS107e’s own iTunes server did not work as well so it might be that the original Firefly server encounters the same problem. I wish I knew what is it is…

Hilversum
    Participant

Well, it does not work. De server is still not up & running, and it can’t have anything to do with the indexing. Om my Mac Firefly was ready in 67 seconds, so it should not have taken much longer on the DS107e. It’s going back to the shop tomorrow.

Thank you all for your support.

cstern
    Participant

Hi Hilversum,

I am by no means an expert, but

Did you disable the built-in iTunes server?

Have you checked for any errormessages? – Try to list the end of the messages file:

tail -100 /var/log/messages | more

Press enter several times to view all 100 last lines of the log file. output from Firefly is tagged by ‘mt-daapd[pid]:’ where pid is the process id.

On my DS107e the last entry is (preceeded by several ‘Updating playlists’ entries):

Nov 18 19:51:22 mt-daapd[721]: Scanned 22856 songs (was 22856) in 259 seconds

Also you could check that mt-daapd is running by typing

ps -ax | grep mt-daapd

Here you should see several lines referring to the version you have installed in /opt. This is what I have:

720 guest 76 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    721 guest 3928 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    848 guest 3928 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    849 guest 3928 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    932 guest 3928 S /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

Hilversum
    Participant

Hello cstern,

Thank you for your reply.

Code “tail -100 /var/log/messages | more” somewhere gives me an error on line 68.
    When I type “vi /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf” again (I am now probably viewing the Firefly configuration file) I see the following text (starting at line 68):

mp3_dir (required)
    #
    # Location of the mp3 files to share. This corresponds
    # to a folder called “mp3” in the “DISK 1” share.
    #

mp3_dir = /volume1/music

So it might be that something went wrong in following your example in step 7. I did not completely understand why / mp3_dir was listed over there two times. I assumed that “mp3_dir (required)” in the config file was just a header and that the only thing I had to adapt was the “mp3_dir = /volume1/music” line.
    Did I do something wrong here?

sonichouse
    Participant

@Hilversum wrote:

I assumed that “mp3_dir (required)” in the config file was just a header and that the only thing I had to adapt was the “mp3_dir = /volume1/music” line.
    Did I do something wrong here?

Comment out that line by inserting a # e.g.

#mp3_dir (required)
    cstern
    Participant

slash (/) in the vi editor just means “find”, so typing that twice should make the cursor end on the second appearance of the mp3_dir text, i.e. where the modification should go.

So, yes, insert a # in front of the first appearance. To do that, place the cursor on the first m in mp3_dir and type

i# (ESC) ZZ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 76 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.