why won’t FLAC work?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    thefloyd
    Participant

I downloaded and installed Firefly primarily for the purpose of playing FLAC files on my Roku Soundbridge M1000. I am running Windows XP home and I installed Bonjour and Firefly, both downloaded from the links on Roku’s website. According to the roku site, Firefly is able to play FLAC, but when I configure Firefly, the only options I see are for MP3s. Firefly is unable to see FLAC files. In folders with only FLAC files, Firefly says that there are no songs. In folders with both FLAC and MP3s, all Firefly sees are the MP3s.
    Long story short, can Firefly serve FLAC files to my Soundbridge, and if yes, then what do I need to do to configure it to work. Any help would be greatly appretiated.
    Thanks.

rpedde
    Participant

@thefloyd wrote:

I downloaded and installed Firefly primarily for the purpose of playing FLAC files on my Roku Soundbridge M1000. I am running Windows XP home and I installed Bonjour and Firefly, both downloaded from the links on Roku’s website. According to the roku site, Firefly is able to play FLAC, but when I configure Firefly, the only options I see are for MP3s. Firefly is unable to see FLAC files. In folders with only FLAC files, Firefly says that there are no songs. In folders with both FLAC and MP3s, all Firefly sees are the MP3s.
    Long story short, can Firefly serve FLAC files to my Soundbridge, and if yes, then what do I need to do to configure it to work. Any help would be greatly appretiated.
    Thanks.

Ah, yeah. Sorry… by default flac isn’t indexed. The next version will have it by default.

Go into the web interface from the pushbutton on the tray icon, and hit the “config” tab. You might have to hit the “show advanced config” link as well. Find the config entry for “extensions”, and add “.flac” to the list.

Then, go back to the status page and hit the “scan” button.

Wait for it to index, then you should be good.

— Ron

thefloyd
    Participant

Thanks a lot. That took care of the problem.

bkaatz
    Participant

I tried this, can now see the tracks on SB, but they won’t play (file type not supported). Is it because i’m running svn-1523? If so, what should I be running on my iMac to make them play?

kellyharding
    Participant

Have you got the relevant files installed? ie for flac you need the flac tools installed or they won’t decode.

Kelly

kellyharding
    Participant

Interesting;y I’d not noticed it’d not scanned my .flac files, oops.

See what you learn when trawling forums ๐Ÿ˜€

Anyway, with iTunes 7.2 on OS X 10.4.x .flac streaming is working ๐Ÿ˜€

Would be nice if iTunes actually supported .flac etc natively so transoding wasn’t needed wouldn’t it.

Kelly

bkaatz
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

Have you got the relevant files installed? ie for flac you need the flac tools installed or they won’t decode.

Kelly

What are “flac tools” and where do i get them? Are you saying that “flac tools” are part of iTunes?

Can you confirm that I should be able to stream .flac files to my SB under OS X using FF?

Please excuse my apparent ignorance: I checked out of the FLAC on OSX conversation a while ago when Ron confirmed that it didn’t work yet.

kellyharding
    Participant

I mean, the flac tools on the server you’re wanting to transcode from.

For instance, on my debian server i need ‘flac’ package installed or the plugin cannot transcode it.

I’ve not got nor used aa SB unfortuately so can’t help there.

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@bkaatz wrote:

@kellyharding wrote:

Kelly

What are “flac tools” and where do i get them? Are you saying that “flac tools” are part of iTunes?

Can you confirm that I should be able to stream .flac files to my SB under OS X using FF?

Please excuse my apparent ignorance: I checked out of the FLAC on OSX conversation a while ago when Ron confirmed that it didn’t work yet.

It only works on OSX if you compile it from source with the relevant fink packages. The pre-built versions don’t do flac. If you want to try that, give a yell, and I can walk you through it.

— Ron

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

It only works on OSX if you compile it from source with the relevant fink packages. The pre-built versions don’t do flac. If you want to try that, give a yell, and I can walk you through it.

— Ron

If you do walk them through it, bung me the text and I’ll generate a wiki page for it ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.