Running Two Copies of Firefly on a Single NSLU2

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Running Two Copies of Firefly on a Single NSLU2

  • This topic has 24 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #4891
    RickV
    Participant
    foo@slug:~$ cd /opt/var/mt-daapd

    If I give this command, from the root-directory, I receive the the following error:

    # foo@slug:~$ cd /opt/var/mt-daapd2
    foo@slug:~: not found

    You said:

    You’ll have to do that as root, probably, and then chown everything back to guest.

    Sorry, I’m not very familiar with the OS on the MSS. How do you do it as root, and what files has to be chown back to guest? The songs.db and the index-file?

    #4892
    sonichouse
    Participant

    @RickV wrote:

    foo@slug:~$ cd /opt/var/mt-daapd

    If I give this command, from the root-directory, I receive the the following error:

    # foo@slug:~$ cd /opt/var/mt-daapd2
    foo@slug:~: not found

    You said:

    You’ll have to do that as root, probably, and then chown everything back to guest.

    Sorry, I’m not very familiar with the OS on the MSS. How do you do it as root, and what files has to be chown back to guest? The songs.db and the index-file?

    you need to type

    cd /opt/var/mt-daapd2

    followed by

    sqlite songs.db

    and then the SQL commands

    #4893
    RickV
    Participant
    cd /opt/var/mt-daapd2
    sqlite songs.db

    This results in:

    sqlite: not found

    Probably a path-problem resulting in not finding the sqlite.

    As in the installation guide I tried the following:

    cd /opt/var/mt-daapd2
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /opt/bin/sqlite songs.db

    I don’t know the exact functionality of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (if someone can explain it some more it would be very nice).

    When issueing this command there is no error but the following resonse:

    # LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /opt/bin/sqlite songs.db
    SIGSEGV
    #4894
    rpedde
    Participant

    @RickV wrote:

    As in the installation guide I tried the following:

    cd /opt/var/mt-daapd2
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /opt/bin/sqlite songs.db

    I don’t know the exact functionality of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (if someone can explain it some more it would be very nice).

    The issue on the mss is that the mss is broken. Maxtor hasn’t released the source code and everything that someone needs to be able to compile a binary that works on the mss. People have used development tools that make binaries that will run on that architecture, but they are incompatible with the libraries and stuff that already run on the mss.

    I’m not sure what’s up with that, it seems like a gpl violation to me, but I haven’t really looked very closely at it. To work around it, people make replacement libraries and put them in /opt/lib. So long as programs use the libraries in /opt/lib and not the libraries in /lib, then stuff runs. Stupid situation, but that’s how it is, I guess.

    When you set a LD_LIBRARY_PATH, that basically inserts a path at the top of the library search path. So libraries get looked for in the directory specified in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Normally that works for applications, but if they fork, or otherwise manipulate the environment variables, it’s possible that it could lose that variable, and then the right libraries can’t be found, and then it doesn’t work any more. Gack!

    That’s what’s happening to you.

    Seems like this:


    /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/bin/sqlite /opt/var/mt-daapd2/songs.db

    works better, as (I think) it uses the /opt loader to load libraries, and so it can’t forget to load the libraries from /opt/lib first. Or something. Not entirely sure myself why that works.

    In any event, try that, using the path that you have specified for your db_param to find the songs.db you want to add the index for. You should do that with the program not running, then start it afterwards.

    — Ron

    #4895
    RickV
    Participant

    Hey Ron,

    That did the job. Although the sqlite interface is awfull (no response on what is going on, and I had to use putty again) the index was made and now the browse-failed message is gone.

    I think adding this to firefly as standard functionality will be a good thing. I mean that the songs-database is automatically set up with indexes on the browsing columns (ie artist, album, genre). With a full scan I think the best thing to do is: first drop the index and then re-create it again. Then the actually full scan. With the normal-scan I think you can leave the index as it is, it will be updated because of the updated mp3-directory content.

    I will try if the browse functionality is also working if I put the MP3-directories together. I will let you know if that’s working too.

    #4896
    rpedde
    Participant

    @RickV wrote:

    With a full scan I think the best thing to do is: first drop the index and then re-create it again. Then the actually full scan. With the normal-scan I think you can leave the index as it is, it will be updated because of the updated mp3-directory content.

    That’s how it currently works.

    I will try if the browse functionality is also working if I put the MP3-directories together. I will let you know if that’s working too.

    I’d be interested to hear. I really didn’t want to have to have a jillion different indexes, but I guess there really isn’t a way around it if rowscans are that slow.

    Guess that’s what I’ll do.

    #4897
    fizze
    Participant

    Well, I added the index on Artist to my DB too 😉

    With about 8K songs (and many artists) the browsing on the SoundBridge is considerably faster, once an Artist is selected and it displays all tunes by that.
    Just as expected.
    I didnt notice any other ill side-effects though.

    #4898
    RickV
    Participant

    I did put the two music-directories in one songs-database by adding another music-directory in the web-interface. After a full scan I created the index on artist.

    Unfortunately the browse-error was there again. So even an index doesn’t solve the problem, arghh…

    I did have some difficulties to remove the second music-directory again. I removed it from the web-interface and then started a full scan again. After this was finished still approx 23K artist were shown, it should have been approx 10K.

    I did issue the VACUUM command on the SQLite and then again a full scan. After that the correct number of songs was displayed.

    #4899
    Anonymous
    Inactive

    I wonder if you guys can help.

    I’ve followed the steps outlined by rpedde but I keep getting a -3260 error which mentions a possible problem with the firewall and the port I have used for the 2nd config file.

    I’ve used port 3690 for the file mt-daapd2.conf and port 3689 for my original mt-daapd.conf file. If I swap the port numbers around I still get an error on the mt-daapd2.conf file but the main conf file will happily use port 3689.

    I can see the second shared library in itunes so that seems to be broadcast correctly just errors when I click on it and no music shows up.

    I think the permissions are correct on all the folders but I’m no Linux expert so that maybe the issue.

    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

    #4900
    rpedde
    Participant

    @pixelvapour wrote:

    I wonder if you guys can help.

    I’ve followed the steps outlined by rpedde but I keep getting a -3260 error which mentions a possible problem with the firewall and the port I have used for the 2nd config file.

    I’ve used port 3690 for the file mt-daapd2.conf and port 3689 for my original mt-daapd.conf file. If I swap the port numbers around I still get an error on the mt-daapd2.conf file but the main conf file will happily use port 3689.

    I can see the second shared library in itunes so that seems to be broadcast correctly just errors when I click on it and no music shows up.

    I think the permissions are correct on all the folders but I’m no Linux expert so that maybe the issue.

    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

    Sounds like the server died. Check your syslog for any errors.

    Also, make sure you have set up a different database directory for the second one (db_params) and that the directory is world-writable (or at least writable by the run_as user).

    — Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.