Remote Streaming of iTunes: A Noob’s How To – Kinda…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Remote Streaming of iTunes: A Noob’s How To – Kinda…

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    GICarey
    Participant

I’ll post a proper write up if there is sufficient interest (post here), but just to say, I’ve got this working as follows:

At Home:
    * 8mbps broadband (512kbps upload).
    * Wired/Wireless Router – port 22 (SSH) forwarded to NSLU2.
    * UnSlung NSLU2 with 1gb stick, 300mb disk – running FireFly on 3689. Also running SSH server.

On office desktop:
    * PuTTY tunnelling over SSH (tunnel is L3689 to 127.0.0.1:3689) to home address
    * RendevousProxy looking at 127.0.0.1:3689 service type _daap._tcp
    * iTunes set to look for shared libraries

Similarly, on my MacBook:
    * ssh @ -L 3689:Localhost:3689 in a command prompt
    * Download and configure Network beacon as per RendevousProxy above.

And, wonder of wonders, it works marvellously, and is lovely and secure! Out of interest, I tried a connection over a GPRS mobile phone on the train. It works, but not usably!

Gav.

neptune
    Participant

@mgjohnson wrote:

Hi,

I heard that a beta of the ReadyNAS Firefly plugin is around somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

You can find it on http://www.infrant.com/download/addons/FireFly_1.0.0.bin

See the discussion on http://www.infrant.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8587 regarding user name, password and admin port usage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@GICarey wrote:

I’ll post a proper write up if there is sufficient interest (post here), but just to say, I’ve got this working as follows:

At Home:
    * 8mbps broadband (512kbps upload).
    * Wired/Wireless Router – port 22 (SSH) forwarded to NSLU2.
    * UnSlung NSLU2 with 1gb stick, 300mb disk – running FireFly on 3689. Also running SSH server.

On office desktop:
    * PuTTY tunnelling over SSH (tunnel is L3689 to 127.0.0.1:3689) to home address
    * RendevousProxy looking at 127.0.0.1:3689 service type _daap._tcp
    * iTunes set to look for shared libraries

Similarly, on my MacBook:
    * ssh @ -L 3689:Localhost:3689 in a command prompt
    * Download and configure Network beacon as per RendevousProxy above.

And, wonder of wonders, it works marvellously, and is lovely and secure! Out of interest, I tried a connection over a GPRS mobile phone on the train. It works, but not usably!

Gav.

Well your post may be more than 1 year old, but I’m definetely interested in knowing how you do that ? 🙂 Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.