NSLU2 and Firefly Setup Issues

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    cromei
    Participant

wierd,
    if you can telnet in and get to the directory, and use that as the music dir, the only thing left is to make sure that permissions are set to allow firefly to read the files using chmod…
    Craig

Anybody else have any ideas?

Donald

@cromei wrote:

wierd,
    if you can telnet in and get to the directory, and use that as the music dir,

Allow me to clarify a few things…

When I browse through the NSLU2 web interface via:

Home

User Log in (Private Data)

I see:

ADMIN 2 or (1) (with hand server icon folder)

public (with hand server icon folder)

music (no hand server icon – just normal folder)

I can telnet only into directories on DISK 1 (USB flash). I can’t CD or MKDIR into any directory beyond /share/hdd/data/ (there is nothing beyond that).

I’ve tried using:

chmod o+r -R /share/hdd/data/public/

and many other combinations of directory locations and names the end result being I can only get FIREFLY to see directories (and a few meager sample songs) on DISK 1.

When I fire up ftp through IE I see this listing:

08/08/2006 11:24AM Directory ADMIN 2
      08/08/2006 11:24AM Directory DISK 2
      08/08/2006 11:24AM Directory HDD_1_1_1

When I browse through ftp explorer I see these folders:

ADMIN 1 ADMIN 2 DISK 1 DISK 2

ADMIN 1 is populated with all the OS folders.

ADMIN 2 contains two folders:

lost+found and public

Thanks,

Donald

cromei
    Participant

ahhhh… I think I have an idea…
    telnet in and cd to share. Type ls.
    There should be two dirs there one for the flash drive and one for the HDD. USB Port 1 is hdd and port 2 is flash on my machine (I think… I am doing this from memory)
    the CD to the port with the HDD on it. type ls
    there should be a data dir, cd to it.
    type ls, you should now be at the root of your HDD.
    if you are then see if you can cd to your music_dir.
    if so, we can now rebuild the path that firefly needs by putting the string of cd commands together.
    Write back to tell us if you could get to the music dir from the telnet, and we can go from there, also I live in the phx area and see that you do to and maybe we can do some phone troubleshooting if needed.
    Craig

Donald

@cromei wrote:

ahhhh… I think I have an idea…

Write back to tell us if you could get to the music dir from the telnet, and we can go from there

# cd /hdd
      cd: can’t cd to /hdd

I don’t know why I can’t anymore – so I blindly issued:

chmod o+rw -R /share/hdd/data/

Then I was able to ftp to /share/hdd/data/ and make a new folder using ftp explorer.

Firefly recognized /share/hdd/data/music just fine, but the scan finds nothing…although there’s plenty on /DISK 2/music/ which seems to be mirrored in /ADMIN 2/public/music/ but mirrored nowhere else. Confounding.

-edit-

—Success—

It seems the /flash sub represents DISK 2. (and you all knew this….)

So I:

chmod uo+rwx -R /share/flash/data/

The hell out of it then created /public/music directories through ftp explorer then placed /share/flash/data/public/music/ inside the Music Folder configuration space in Firefly and in the few minutes it’s taken me to type this it’s scanned 1k of 2k songs on DISK 2. That’s all I wanted man – that’s all (snif).

Thanks cromei.

Donald

cromei
    Participant

if you unplug your HD from port 2 does

/share/hdd/data/ 

disappear from FTP?

if not I think hdd is pointing to your flash disk.
    Craig

Donald

@cromei wrote:

hdd is pointing to your flash disk.
    Craig

Craig.

Yes.

Fundamental ignorance of the share schema on the UNSLU2 OS led to my blundering into trying to set an untenable directory.

I was partially mislead by the ease of Firefly XP which allows any directory on or off the computer.

When installing Firefly into the NSLU2 I quicky removed the default Music Folder directory and then everything quickly fell apart.

Now back on track I’m going to monitor the HD for spindown and research FLASH USB longevity in the NSLU2.

Donald

cromei
    Participant

Cool!
    I’ve been thinking about going to the flash setup instead of 2 hdd as well…. Glad you are up and working!
    Craig

Donald

Update to my current Firefly setup:

@Donald wrote:

Now back on track I’m going to monitor the HD for spindown and research FLASH USB longevity in the NSLU2.

Donald

Until today I’ve been using a “free”, after rebate, USB enclosure which I couldn’t get to spin down.

I purchased a Maxtor OneTouch III today and attached it to my NSLU2 port 2 (port 1 has a 512MB flash drive) replacing the prior USB enclosure, and formatted using the Unslung interface.

Using information I got from:
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks
    I got:
    http://www.ext2fsd.com/

I connected the Maxtor to my XP machine and ran ext2fsd.

It worked great for allowing XP to see the new ext formatted drive and allowed me to run the Maxtor spindown utility and set the spindown time.

Better yet I was able to connect my old ext formatted drive to the XP machine and run ext2fsd on that drive then copy all my music and videos directly to the new drive now connected to the NSLU2! What a great program. I pretty much thought I had to copy all my data to a third drive and recopy to the new. What a relief.

And yes – the Maxtor spins down as programmed.

Donald

fizze
    Participant

I’d recommend http://www.fs-driver.org/ to ext2fsd on windows.

other than that: nice work, ‘grats 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Donald wrote:

@cromei wrote:

The hell out of it then created /public/music directories through ftp explorer then placed /share/flash/data/public/music/ inside the Music Folder configuration space in Firefly and in the few minutes it’s taken me to type this it’s scanned 1k of 2k songs on DISK 2. That’s all I wanted man – that’s all (snif).

Thanks cromei.

Donald

This worked for me, too! For some reason, Firefly is looking for FLASH in USB1 and HDD in USB2. My setup has the flash and hdd reversed. So in the web admin page, I just switched the path from:

/share/hdd/data/public/Music
    to
    /share/flash/data/public/Music

and it worked like a charm.
    Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.