Newbie question about using firefly on Maxtor mss+

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Newbie question about using firefly on Maxtor mss+

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    anton90125
    Participant

Hello,

Looking at the various treads I think this has been solved.

I want to stream music (flac) from my NAS Maxtor MSS(2.6.2-openmss1-rc2) + to my Roku M1000.

I have looked at twonkymedia and (from various comments in their forum) it appears that there are problems transcoding flac files on a nas (not enough processing power) using their flac plug-in.

The Firefly community seems to have solved this problem though as a green newbie it is not clear how.

Can someone please describe in clear steps the processes required to get firefly installed and working transcoding flac. Assume correctly my very limited knowledge of UNIX.

Anton ๐Ÿ˜•

rpedde
    Participant

@anton90125 wrote:

Hello,

Looking at the various treads I think this has been solved.

I want to stream music (flac) from my NAS Maxtor MSS(2.6.2-openmss1-rc2) + to my Roku M1000.

I have looked at twonkymedia and (from various comments in their forum) it appears that there are problems transcoding flac files on a nas (not enough processing power) using their flac plug-in.

The Firefly community seems to have solved this problem though as a green newbie it is not clear how.

Can someone please describe in clear steps the processes required to get firefly installed and working transcoding flac. Assume correctly my very limited knowledge of UNIX.

Anton ๐Ÿ˜•

I’ve started a wiki to try and build a manual for firefly. The first page is now the “Installing Firefly on the MSS” page. It’s kind of terse, but here’s a walkthrough:

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MSS_Installation

It’s really a “fattened up” version of this post: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5102

— Ron

anton90125
    Participant

Brilliant!

This is exactly what I am after.

Thanks

Anton

deanm

I (hope to) have exactly the same setup, streaming via a Linksys WRT54GS AP and have followed the details on the wiki (at least one of the three attempts must have been correct ‘:)’).

Everything goes swimmingly until I try to execute /opt/etc/init.d/S60Mt-daapd at which point I get /opt/lib/ld.so.1: not found.

Following some of the other thread I tried the following:

# /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -d9 -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf -f
    with a result
    /opt/lib/ld.so.1: not found

I had a hunt around and found ld.so.1 to the /lib directory so tried

# /lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -d9 -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf -f
    and this time got
    Found 1 tokens in /share/hdd/data/public/mp3
    Token 1: /share/hdd/data/public/mp3
    Expanding precomments to 2048
    Expanding precomments to 4096
    Found 2 tokens in rsp.so,ssc-script.so
    Token 1: rsp.so
    Token 2: ssc-script.so
    Checking existence of /opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
    Checking existence of /opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
    Checking existence of /opt/var/mt-daapd
    Checking existence of /opt/var/mt-daapd
    Checking existence of /opt/share/mt-daapd/plugins
    Checking existence of /opt/share/mt-daapd/plugins
    Loading new config file.
    Firefly Version svn-1433: Starting with debuglevel 9
    Attempting to load plugin /shares/mss-hdd/__opt/share/mt-daapd/plugins/out-daap.so
    SIGSEGV

I’m not sure whether this is something missing, a version mismatch or just me being dumb!

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Dean

rpedde
    Participant

@deanm wrote:

Any suggestions?

Did you do the “ipkg install mss-libhelper”?

The ld.so.1 library should be a part of that package. I’ll double check it.

— Ron

deanm

Yes, installed mss-libhelper without problem.

BTW/ version svn-1433 was the version installed (maybe I just missed 1441)

Dean

rpedde
    Participant

@deanm wrote:

Yes, installed mss-libhelper without problem.

BTW/ version svn-1433 was the version installed (maybe I just missed 1441)

Dean

Okay. I’ll double-check that package.

— Ron

Iris
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I’ve started a wiki to try and build a manual for firefly. The first page is now the “Installing Firefly on the MSS” page. It’s kind of terse, but here’s a walkthrough:

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MSS_Installation

— Ron

Okay, I telnet into the device and started entering the commands. Well, the first line – cat src nslu2 …. I get a file not found error. ๐Ÿ˜•

Use my browser to check the link I went to http://ipkg-us-dyoung.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/mss/cross/unstable/ and I see a list of files. I also checked the post you mentioned where a lot of this came through and couldn’t see a similar command. What am I missing here. I did try it twice checking my syntax!

Iris

rpedde
    Participant

@Iris wrote:

Okay, I telnet into the device and started entering the commands. Well, the first line – cat src nslu2 …. I get a file not found error. ๐Ÿ˜•

D’oh!

That should be: echo “src nslu2…

Not cat. Fixed the web page. Sorry. And after my exhortation to type everything EXACTLY they way it said, and I bungled it. Dumb.

Sorry about that.

BTW: I’m sitting in #mt-daapd on freenode, if anyone needs more help with this.

– Ron

Iris
    Participant

Well I’m going to hang around! Back to the instructions…

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.