mt-daapd suddenly disappears from iTunes / FreeBSD 6.2

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd suddenly disappears from iTunes / FreeBSD 6.2

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@foging wrote:

On feisty it’s probably a problem with using two different multicast daemons. I’d guess that feisty is probably using avahi, and you may be using a different one on your workstation.

How did you compile it, or where did you get the package from?

I did:
    >apt-get install mt-daapd

it installed just fine, I could log into the web-page but the service didn’t show up in iTunes. After some searching here I restarted the avahi-daemon and mt-daapd started showing up in iTunes. It seems to work as long as I play music, but when its not used it disappears after a while.

How do I know if I’m running multiple multicast daemons?

If you got it from the etch repository, then you are fine — it’s using avahi. If it shows up when you start avahi and then goes away after a half hour or so, then it’s a firewall issue. I think your feisty box has a built-in firewall. You’ll need to add an exception for multicast, but that’s a question better asked on the ubuntu forums, I think.

— Ron

foging
    Participant

Not getting any closer, but, when i did >sudo mt-daapd -f I got:

Starting rendezvous daemon
    *** WARNING *** The programme ‘mt-daapd’ uses the HOWL compatiblity layer of Avahi.
    *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
    *** WARNING *** For more information see
    Starting signal handler
    Signal handler started
    Initializing database
    Starting web server from /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
    Registering rendezvous names
    Serving 14543 songs. Startup complete in 3 seconds

This makes no sense to ne, I thought I was using just Avahi, not HOWL? Am I just completely daft or have I installed HOWL in my sleep? Suggest I wanted mt-daapd to stop using HOWL and just use Avahi, how would I go about?

p.s. Installed mt-daapd via apt-get install mt-daapd

foging
    Participant

Did some more fixing and apparently broke it further more:

foging@basil:/etc$ sudo mt-daapd -f
    Starting with debuglevel 2
    *** WARNING *** The programme ‘mt-daapd’ uses the HOWL compatiblity layer of Avahi.
    Starting signal handler
    Signal handler started
    Initializing database
    Query: vacuum
    Error: unable to open database file
    Aborting
    foging@basil:/etc$ Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    Aborting

Aaargh! Running mtdaapd 0.2.4+r1376-2, and I have both sqlite and sqlite3 installed. I have also opened port 5353 from 224.0.0.251 and 3689 incoming from everyone (is that one necessary?)

rpedde
    Participant

@foging wrote:

Not getting any closer, but, when i did >sudo mt-daapd -f I got:

Starting signal handler
    Signal handler started
    Initializing database
    Serving 14543 songs. Startup complete in 3 seconds

This makes no sense to ne, I thought I was using just Avahi, not HOWL? Am I just completely daft or have I installed HOWL in my sleep? Suggest I wanted mt-daapd to stop using HOWL and just use Avahi, how would I go about?

p.s. Installed mt-daapd via apt-get install mt-daapd

Avahi has a howl compatibility mode. That’s what this is using. Its still using avahi, but mt-daapd thinks its using howl. Sometime after 1376 native avahi bindings were added.

So this is normal, and nothing to worry about.

rpedde
    Participant

Aborting
    foging@basil:/etc$ Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    Aborting

Aaargh!

premissions on the /var/cache/mt-daapd directory (or the db file itself) are probably not writable by the “runas” user.

Running mtdaapd 0.2.4+r1376-2, and I have both sqlite and sqlite3 installed. I have also opened port 5353 from 224.0.0.251 and 3689 incoming from everyone (is that one necessary?)

Yes. Both are necessary. 5353/224.0.0.251 is the mdns stuff, the 3689 is the admin web page as well as the daap server.

— Ron

foging
    Participant

Edited the /var/cache/mt-daapd and the files withing with chmod a+rx. It looks like this now:

drwxrwxr-x 2 nobody root 4096 2007-05-17 13:54 mt-daapd

When I run mt-daapd i get this:

Initializing database
    Aborting
    Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    Aborting

Are the permissions still wrong? The runas user is mt-daapd. If i set it to root it will start but I still can’t see anything in iTunes.

rpedde
    Participant

@foging wrote:

Edited the /var/cache/mt-daapd and the files withing with chmod a+rx. It looks like this now:

drwxrwxr-x 2 nobody root 4096 2007-05-17 13:54 mt-daapd

When I run mt-daapd i get this:

Initializing database
    Aborting
    Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    Aborting

Are the permissions still wrong? The runas user is mt-daapd. If i set it to root it will start but I still can’t see anything in iTunes.

The permissions up there are broken up into three sections — owner, group, everyone.

Right now the permissions are set to owner rwx, group rwx, everyone r-x. In the case, the directory is owned by nobody, with group root. So “nobody” has write access to the folder, anyone in the root group has write access to the folder, and everyone else (including mt-daapd) has read-only access to the folder.

Hence not being able to write to it.

Try changing the owner of the folder to mt-daapd. That would work. Or make it world writable, which is probably the wrong thing to do on a multi-user system.

— Ron

foging
    Participant

Ok, done. Seems to start just fine using

:~$ sudo mt-daapd -f
    Starting with debuglevel 2
    Starting signal handler
    Signal handler started
    Initializing database
    Serving 14543 songs. Startup complete in 2 seconds

Still no go though 🙁

Is there any way I can post extracts from my firewall config? I’ve done all the settings using Firestarter in Ubuntu, so I have no clue where to find the conf-files.

rpedde
    Participant

@foging wrote:

Is there any way I can post extracts from my firewall config? I’ve done all the settings using Firestarter in Ubuntu, so I have no clue where to find the conf-files.

Fixes for firestarter are detailed here: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5505

foging
    Participant

Wohoo! It works, it works! Now I’m just going to idle it for a days or so and se if it still works.

Thank you so much for your help and patience!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.