mt-daapd suddenly disappears from iTunes / FreeBSD 6.2

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues mt-daapd suddenly disappears from iTunes / FreeBSD 6.2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    madkiss
    Participant

Hi all,

i am encountering a very strange problem with mt-daapd: Running on FreeBSD 6.2, while compiling mt-daapd and installing and starting it works flawlessly, the mt-daapd-entry just disappears randomly from iTunes. While mt-daapd is still running (the process, i mean), nothing else but restarting it will work to make iTunes see it again. This happens (more or less) reproducibly with the current stable as well with current snapshot versions that i tried.

is this a known problem and is a fix available possibly?

m.

rpedde
    Participant

@madkiss wrote:

Hi all,

i am encountering a very strange problem with mt-daapd: Running on FreeBSD 6.2, while compiling mt-daapd and installing and starting it works flawlessly, the mt-daapd-entry just disappears randomly from iTunes. While mt-daapd is still running (the process, i mean), nothing else but restarting it will work to make iTunes see it again. This happens (more or less) reproducibly with the current stable as well with current snapshot versions that i tried.

is this a known problem and is a fix available possibly?

m.

Sounds like your fbsd box is blocking incoming multicast. Allow udp port 5353 from 224.0.0.251, or see if there is a way to allow all local multicast.

— Ron

madkiss
    Participant

that indeed fixed it, thank you very much! just if you have a little bit of free time, can you quickly explain why upon restarting mt-daapd, iTunes first saw it but then lost it a bit later? I mean … if the firewall blocks things, then it should block it right away and always, shouldn’t it? so iTunes should never have been able to see it …

i’m a bit mixed up by that. anyway. thank you.

m.

rpedde
    Participant

@madkiss wrote:

that indeed fixed it, thank you very much! just if you have a little bit of free time, can you quickly explain why upon restarting mt-daapd, iTunes first saw it but then lost it a bit later? I mean … if the firewall blocks things, then it should block it right away and always, shouldn’t it? so iTunes should never have been able to see it …

i’m a bit mixed up by that. anyway. thank you.

m.

When it starts, it sends out a multicast to “pre-cache” the mdns resolvers on locally connected networks. So probably that was going out (permissive firewall — allows all outbound, stops unsolicited inbound). But it has an associated TTL. So after that TTL (somewhere around a half hour), machines tart querying the network for the device. But it doesn’t see the queries (firewall), so it doesn’t respond, so it gets dropped off the browse lists.

So “shows up when starting, drops off after about a half hour” is textbook for not seeing mDNS requests.

— Ron

jellyfish
    Participant

I too have this same problem on freebsd.

Can you please tell me what command you ran/file you edited to resolve this?

Thanks

jellyfish
    Participant

I am not running any firewall rules on this freebsd box in question. Do I have to explicitly allow that port with a firewall rule? I don’t see how that would change anything..

madkiss
    Participant

This line in pf.conf fixed the problem for me:

pass in proto { tcp, udp } from any to 224.0.0.251 port mdns keep state label “mdns”

cheers.

m.

foging
    Participant

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem as mentioned above, but I have not activated any firewall on my Ubuntu Feisty installation. What could be the problem if it isn’t a firewall issue?

Ubunty Feisty: Running firefly
    Powerbook 10.4.9: Playing music

Any suggestions?

rpedde
    Participant

@foging wrote:

I’m experiencing exactly the same problem as mentioned above, but I have not activated any firewall on my Ubuntu Feisty installation. What could be the problem if it isn’t a firewall issue?

Ubunty Feisty: Running firefly
    Powerbook 10.4.9: Playing music

Any suggestions?

On feisty it’s probably a problem with using two different multicast daemons. I’d guess that feisty is probably using avahi, and you may be using a different one on your workstation.

How did you compile it, or where did you get the package from?

foging
    Participant

On feisty it’s probably a problem with using two different multicast daemons. I’d guess that feisty is probably using avahi, and you may be using a different one on your workstation.

How did you compile it, or where did you get the package from?

I did:
    >apt-get install mt-daapd

it installed just fine, I could log into the web-page but the service didn’t show up in iTunes. After some searching here I restarted the avahi-daemon and mt-daapd started showing up in iTunes. It seems to work as long as I play music, but when its not used it disappears after a while.

How do I know if I’m running multiple multicast daemons?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.