Mt-daapd, NSLU2 and Unicode

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    nivlacckw
    Participant

Hi,

This might be a little bit off topic, however I wonder if there are users in here having the similar issue.

I have been using firefly/mt-daapd on NSLU2 with unslug 6.8 for quite a while. It has been my show stopper to move my itune library with unicode filenames from my Windows PC to the NSLU2.

I can only be able to use Unicode filenames in the Samba – but not in the telnet/ssh session. Whenever a double byte file is copied to NSLU2, the filename is changed to weird characters when viewing from telnet/ssh session.

My current workaround for this is to copy the media files from my ipod to the nslu2 via Samba. Since the filename has been changed to a more “friendly” style for NSLU2. It works fine, however this seems to be duplicated effort.

itune library on PC->sync to iPOD->copy to NSLU2.

May I know if it is possible to enable Unicode support in the NSLU2? So that I can change the itune library locatiion

itune library on NSLU2 ->sync to iPOD

fizze
    Participant

unicode?

well, you just need to load the appropriate kernel-module.

the filenames itself dont really matter.
    I can just recommend that you use a tool like mp3tag to adjust your filenames. but that probably messes up the iTunes XML / LIB.

I dont use iTunes for that, so *shrug* πŸ™„

nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

unicode?

well, you just need to load the appropriate kernel-module.

the filenames itself dont really matter.
    I can just recommend that you use a tool like mp3tag to adjust your filenames. but that probably messes up the iTunes XML / LIB.

I dont use iTunes for that, so *shrug* πŸ™„

I have no idea about the kernel-module 😳

Is that available via ipkg? I was wondering if this is different among various NSLU2 OS -(Unslug/SlugOS/DebianSlug)

Thanks

fizze
    Participant
    nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UnslungLanguageSupport
    has everything you need. πŸ™‚

Thanks. It seems that the instructions applies for cp850 only. Should I look for UTF-8 kernel module instead?

nivlacckw
    Participant

@nivlacckw wrote:

@fizze wrote:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UnslungLanguageSupport
    has everything you need. πŸ™‚

Thanks. It seems that the instructions applies for cp850 only. Should I look for UTF-8 kernel module instead?

Moved to DebianSlug and got UTF-8 enabled. Thanks.

fizze
    Participant

sweet. is debianslug any hard to install?
    Or do you see any major performance/stability etc. improvements?

I’ve always vowed to move to Debian, as soon as I get a few days off…

nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

The new debianslug is very stright forward, complete instructions are below. Should be the 2nd easiest – 1st go to Unslung of course.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

The only issue with this version is little-endian mode. Not sure if the current nighties of the debian arm package works or not.

I am so happy that all UTF-8 locale is installed by default. It took me about 10mins to get all my works done after the Debian installation – enable UTF-8 support in the terminal and Samba , plus getting the mt-daapd package installed via apt-get. πŸ˜€

Traditional Chinese and Japanese files are now storing properly in unicode within the slug. I could never get this done on Unslung 6.8.

rpedde
    Participant

@nivlacckw wrote:

@fizze wrote:

The new debianslug is very stright forward, complete instructions are below. Should be the 2nd easiest – 1st go to Unslung of course.

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

The only issue with this version is little-endian mode. Not sure if the current nighties of the debian arm package works or not.

I am so happy that all UTF-8 locale is installed by default. It took me about 10mins to get all my works done after the Debian installation – enable UTF-8 support in the terminal and Samba , plus getting the mt-daapd package installed via apt-get. πŸ˜€

Traditional Chinese and Japanese files are now storing properly in unicode within the slug. I could never get this done on Unslung 6.8.

I’m running debonaras (armeb debian), and that’s the packages I have. But the other-endian version is officially supported by debian, so there are real official debian packages in etch right now, so those are always available.

Might have to get me *another* slug for little-endian debian. :0 My wife will love that.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

yeah, I am thinking of that too.
    I just got me a pinnacle showcenter 200 and currently stream it off the same nslu as mt-daapd and other stuff.
    Swisscenter is a no-no, but there are other progz floating around.
    Anyhow, I think unslung 6.8 has extremeley poor file-I/O performance, as I get less than 1MByte / sec via FTP and a bit less still via SMB transfer. Writing to the Slug, that is.

It is enough for streaming HD content, though. Barely.

Ron what do you get with your debonaras?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.