Mt-daapd, NSLU2 and Unicode

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

yeah, I am thinking of that too.
    I just got me a pinnacle showcenter 200 and currently stream it off the same nslu as mt-daapd and other stuff.
    Swisscenter is a no-no, but there are other progz floating around.
    Anyhow, I think unslung 6.8 has extremeley poor file-I/O performance, as I get less than 1MByte / sec via FTP and a bit less still via SMB transfer. Writing to the Slug, that is.

It is enough for streaming HD content, though. Barely.

Ron what do you get with your debonaras?

This is getting interesting. I am also looking for my next mt-daap enabled NAS solution. I do have a buffalo Tera Pro but it is just for storage for the time being.

Would love to see Raid disk,Debian and Mt-daapd for my next NAS.

How about the Thecus N2100?

fizze
    Participant

gigabit LAN? 😯

What are you planning to do? hehe πŸ˜‰

Well, I’d be all for more slugs, if the I/O and net I/O performance is decent. and I dont mean to stream a DVD off it in 5secs. I mean ‘decent’ for every day use. I really do hope my ‘problems’ there are software based.

nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

gigabit LAN? 😯

What are you planning to do? hehe πŸ˜‰

Well, I’d be all for more slugs, if the I/O and net I/O performance is decent. and I dont mean to stream a DVD off it in 5secs. I mean ‘decent’ for every day use. I really do hope my ‘problems’ there are software based.

I am looking for a big box to store all my media files and stuff in a protected matter. Plus serving a few soundbridges and the MB100 from pixelmagic…..

Slug is already doing most of it, just missing the raid and some performance

fizze
    Participant

Yeah, I considered the MB100 too, but went for the showcenter 200 as its kinda nicer, bang-for-buck wise πŸ˜‰

I have packed my slug far away, and connected it wirelessly, and watching HD content through a 802.11g link is sweet. πŸ™‚
    So I donno what server software the MB100 would be able to use.

But I tell you, I’ve been having my Showcenter for 2 days, and boy. If you think setting up the slug and firefly is fun, then setting up a fully fledged media-server sure is for you πŸ˜€

nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Yeah, I considered the MB100 too, but went for the showcenter 200 as its kinda nicer, bang-for-buck wise πŸ˜‰

I have packed my slug far away, and connected it wirelessly, and watching HD content through a 802.11g link is sweet. πŸ™‚
    So I donno what server software the MB100 would be able to use.

But I tell you, I’ve been having my Showcenter for 2 days, and boy. If you think setting up the slug and firefly is fun, then setting up a fully fledged media-server sure is for you πŸ˜€

MB100 just need CIFS or NFS to my terastation…..rather stright forward.

My home setup is running 802.11a(avoiding 2.4ghz radio) for the AV stuff (SB and MB100)…while having 802.11b/g for other stuff like Wii/NDS/PSP/Notebooks

fizze
    Participant

Sweet πŸ™‚

The MB100 isnt capable of “more” ?
    Through Oxylbox or swisscenter for example, the Showcenter is capable of rendering web pages, displaying info off IMDB for a given movie entry, showing a view Pic-of-the-days, showing weather, RSS, etc.

Technically the Wii can do it too, but Opera ain’t there yet πŸ˜‰

nivlacckw
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Sweet πŸ™‚

The MB100 isnt capable of “more” ?
    Through Oxylbox or swisscenter for example, the Showcenter is capable of rendering web pages, displaying info off IMDB for a given movie entry, showing a view Pic-of-the-days, showing weather, RSS, etc.

Technically the Wii can do it too, but Opera ain’t there yet πŸ˜‰

To be frank, don’t have any expectation for MB100…….Do check out the official forum before buying…

http://www.pixelmagicforum.com/forum/index.php

8) Playing Wii while waiting for opera…….

mas
    Participant

Well, doesnt a NSLU have only 10 Mbit Ethernet???

Given that 1 MB/sec streaming performance is quite good and close to the maximum. The theoretic max. of a 10 Mbit Ethernet is 1.2 MB and thats without overhead!!!

And then theres the USB issue. I am not sure if the ports are USB2 on the slugs…

So I would not assume that more than 1 MB/sec is possible without exchanging most of the device.

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.