DPAP Features…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    nathanziarek
    Participant

I know there are a few threads already talking about this, and I apologize for polluting the forum with a new one. The other threads seemed to drift to DPAP sharing; I thought it would be beneficial to have a thread dedicated to it.

That said, I’d only really have a few things I’d really like to see in the server:

— Ability to read meta data (mostly date-driven, but exposure values, etc are nice)
      — Some sort of keyword ability, either through EXIF keywords or a separate XML file
      — Album file (either through iPhoto XML file import or some standard m3u-like method)
      — Smart Album creation that takes advantage of the meta data and keywords above

I’ve looked for Linux & Windows programs that can read DPAP shares and came up empty, so I can see that this might be a low priority 🙂 Still, I think it would rock 🙂

rpedde
    Participant

@nathanziarek wrote:

I know there are a few threads already talking about this, and I apologize for polluting the forum with a new one. The other threads seemed to drift to DPAP sharing; I thought it would be beneficial to have a thread dedicated to it.

Most importantly, though, what would the name of it be?

nathanziarek
    Participant

Hmm?

I have this sneaking suspicion that I am missing something — like you are being sarcastic and I’m not picking up on it. I hate that feeling.

Anyway, I would name it something cool, like “SUPERFLY.” Or, I guess you don’t want to over sell it. It is just picture sharing, right? mt-dpap has a nice ring to it.

So…

n

kellyharding
    Participant

I think only iPhoto can make use of it currently. One central DPAP located repository of all your photos, ala firefly would be great.

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

I think only iPhoto can make use of it currently. One central DPAP located repository of all your photos, ala firefly would be great.

But I can almost make an argument to shoehorn it into mt-daapd, as having a media library that includes pictures would be nice if one had a upnp front-end, so maybe upnp will be the driver for a dpap front-end.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

Well, that and Id really vouch for pluginifying such stuff 😉

greenleaf
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@nathanziarek wrote:

Most importantly, though, what would the name of it be?

How about Dragonfly? It fits with a theme of different types of flying insects, and it sounds cool. I haven’t been around this project long enough to know where the name Firefly came from for the project, so maybe I’m way off here. I do know that either adding DPAP sharing to Firefly or creating a new program to do DPAP sharing would fit a much needed role on my home network.

kellyharding
    Participant

@greenleaf wrote:

I do know that either adding DPAP sharing to Firefly or creating a new program to do DPAP sharing would fit a much needed role on my home network.

It would be very useful for me too.

Kelly

greenleaf
    Participant

It doesn’t look like much yet, but it looks like someone already started writing a DPAP server, and it looks to be open source, too!

http://search.cpan.org/~rclamp/Net-DPAP-Server-0.02/lib/Net/DPAP/Server.pm

I think it’s written in Perl? I’m no programmer, in fact I have trouble just writing shell scripts or batch files, but I’m sure someone else on this forum could expand on that script and make it work with albums and stuff.

greenleaf
    Participant

So I really want to find some sort of network photo sharing software, since nothing seems to be compatible between my wife’s Mac and my Windows and Linux systems that doesn’t involve browsing through directory structure to view files.

I was thinking that a database with a table for photo information (i.e. file location, date taken, camera model, etc), another table to list keywords associated with the photos, and possibly another table to hold the smart album information.

If I was any good at programming i’d write something myself and give it a php-based front-end, but I couldn’t do much more than creating the database to hold the information, and that would be pretty much limited to Postgres, not the sqlite that seems to be preferred for Firefly development.

Maybe I’m just rambling here, and need to go hire myself a web programmer to make it happen. Anybody have a better idea how to share albums of photos across my network between disparate operating systems?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.