DPAP Features…

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@greenleaf wrote:

If I was any good at programming i’d write something myself and give it a php-based front-end, but I couldn’t do much more than creating the database to hold the information, and that would be pretty much limited to Postgres, not the sqlite that seems to be preferred for Firefly development.

Maybe I’m just rambling here, and need to go hire myself a web programmer to make it happen. Anybody have a better idea how to share albums of photos across my network between disparate operating systems?

Php Gallery?

http://gallery.menalto.com/

— Ron

greenleaf
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Php Gallery?

— Ron

I looked at that, and it looks interesting, except right now iPhoto is already storing all the photos on the linux server I’d be using to serve them over web protocols.

I guess we mere consumers weren’t meant to use our own photos that we have taken with our own cameras however we ourselves see fit. I think it’s a sad day when I can more easily share music that someone else created more easily than I can photos that I myself created.

I guess for now I’ll just keep dealing with my photos the way I have been and just wait and hope that DPAP sharing makes its way into either Firefly or another similar server program, because what Firefly does for music is exactly what I would like to do for my photos, since my wife and I have multiple computers and multiple operating systems that all need access to the same photos.

rpedde
    Participant

@greenleaf wrote:

I guess we mere consumers weren’t meant to use our own photos that we have taken with our own cameras however we ourselves see fit. I think it’s a sad day when I can more easily share music that someone else created more easily than I can photos that I myself created.

That seems not quite right — you aren’t restricted from using them any way you want, so long as you have the wherewithal to make it happen. It’s not like DRM or something where your actual ability to use the items has been removed. What’s standing in your way is time, essentially. There aren’t any artificial roadblocks to your making a nifty photo publishing or sharing application.

I guess for now I’ll just keep dealing with my photos the way I have been and just wait and hope that DPAP sharing makes its way into either Firefly or another similar server program, because what Firefly does for music is exactly what I would like to do for my photos, since my wife and I have multiple computers and multiple operating systems that all need access to the same photos.

I think you’ll still have problems, though, as the only dpap clients I know of are iphoto and appletv. So you still won’t have a windows client. Unless there is a windows dpap client I don’t know about.

I think web based is the most portable application you’ll likely find.

— Ron

greenleaf
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@greenleaf wrote:

If I was any good at programming i’d write something myself and give it a php-based front-end, but I couldn’t do much more than creating the database to hold the information, and that would be pretty much limited to Postgres, not the sqlite that seems to be preferred for Firefly development.

Maybe I’m just rambling here, and need to go hire myself a web programmer to make it happen. Anybody have a better idea how to share albums of photos across my network between disparate operating systems?

Php Gallery?

— Ron

Thanks for pointing me to Gallery for my photo sharing. After some tweaking I finally got it almost behaving exactly how I want it to. Now if I could only make it scan for new photos the way Firefly does for music I’d be set. But at least I figured out how to share my photos with everyone in the house.

flyn

I have resumed work on the GObject-based libdmapsharing library and have been working on adding server-side support for the DAAP and DPAP protocols. Once this is complete, I hope to write a DAAP / DPAP server that uses libdmapsharing. The libdmapsharing library is available at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/libdmapsharing/.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.