Build firefly nightly on WL-500g

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    wouter
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been trying to get firefly working on my ASUS WL-500g router together with the Pinnacle-branded Roku soundbridge I’ve just bought, but I’m having tough luck up to now. I specifically bought the soundbridge because XBMC support in mt-daapd is tacky at best, but now I’ve found out that the 2.4.x series that are available in the wl500g unslung repository do not work with this version of the soundbridge. So I decided to install the nightly .ipk from here, but this doesn’t fly either, as it appears to be built for a different NSLU architecture (NSLU2 instead of OptWare or something like that). I’ve googled around but strangely it seems no-one has built an .ipk for OptWare/WL-500g yet….

So all pretty disappointing up to now, but I don’t give up easily. I’m about to try to cross-compile one of the nightlies myself, I’m already downloading the NSLU toolchain as we speak, and as programming on Linux is my daytime job, I guess i should be able to get somewhere with just a little help.

So, I can figure out how to install/patch the ASUS toolchain and the unslung cross-compilation environment, build the repository packages (including all mt-daapd dependencies) and get the firefly sources from SVN.

Now here’s where I could use a little help, so if someone (Ron?) could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. Suppose I have the complete toolchain running and managed to compile all mt-daapd dependencies succesfully, how would I go about cross-compiling a firefly SVN snapshot? I’ve browsed the SVN repository already, and apparently the build-system uses autoconf/automake. Is this also going to work with my cross-compilation setup, and if yes, how do I configure for an OptWare .ipk? Are there build instructions for NSLU2 somewhere already, like a description of the procedure you (Ron) use to build the mipsel .ipk nightlies on the download page? I’ve checked the toolchain already, and it appears as if compilation for a specific NSLU platform is controlled by a single switch in a makefile, that can also be set for the WL-500g. But I know absolutely nothing about creating .ipk’s from compiled sources, how to configure the build tree etc. All help is appreciated!

rpedde
    Participant

@wouter wrote:

Hi,

I’ve been trying to get firefly working on my ASUS WL-500g router together with the Pinnacle-branded Roku soundbridge I’ve just bought, but I’m having tough luck up to now. I specifically bought the soundbridge because XBMC support in mt-daapd is tacky at best, but now I’ve found out that the 2.4.x series that are available in the wl500g unslung repository do not work with this version of the soundbridge. So I decided to install the nightly .ipk from here, but this doesn’t fly either, as it appears to be built for a different NSLU architecture (NSLU2 instead of OptWare or something like that). I’ve googled around but strangely it seems no-one has built an .ipk for OptWare/WL-500g yet….

So all pretty disappointing up to now, but I don’t give up easily. I’m about to try to cross-compile one of the nightlies myself, I’m already downloading the NSLU toolchain as we speak, and as programming on Linux is my daytime job, I guess i should be able to get somewhere with just a little help.

So, I can figure out how to install/patch the ASUS toolchain and the unslung cross-compilation environment, build the repository packages (including all mt-daapd dependencies) and get the firefly sources from SVN.

Now here’s where I could use a little help, so if someone (Ron?) could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful. Suppose I have the complete toolchain running and managed to compile all mt-daapd dependencies succesfully, how would I go about cross-compiling a firefly SVN snapshot? I’ve browsed the SVN repository already, and apparently the build-system uses autoconf/automake. Is this also going to work with my cross-compilation setup, and if yes, how do I configure for an OptWare .ipk? Are there build instructions for NSLU2 somewhere already, like a description of the procedure you (Ron) use to build the mipsel .ipk nightlies on the download page? I’ve checked the toolchain already, and it appears as if compilation for a specific NSLU platform is controlled by a single switch in a makefile, that can also be set for the WL-500g. But I know absolutely nothing about creating .ipk’s from compiled sources, how to configure the build tree etc. All help is appreciated!

Here’s the start:

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5271

Basically, get set up to do regular unslung packages, as described in either the unslung docs, or the docs for the firmware you are using. (Oleg’s?) Then get it to the point where you can cross compile 0.2.4. Once you have that, then download the files in the topic above and go crazy.

Also, if you can point me to instructions on getting the toolchain set up, I’d be happy to set up a build tree to pump out nightlies. It’s easy to do once the toolset is setup, but I just need a concise explanation of how to get it set up.

— Ron

edit: Oh, and I’ve been working on xbmc. Seems like I’ve got it at least sort-of working. I’ll drop nightlies tonight.

wouter
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Here’s the start:

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5271

Basically, get set up to do regular unslung packages, as described in either the unslung docs, or the docs for the firmware you are using. (Oleg’s?) Then get it to the point where you can cross compile 0.2.4. Once you have that, then download the files in the topic above and go crazy.

Ok thnx! I’ve just got the ASUS toolchain running and compiled the 2.4.x mt-daapd .ipk with it, going to try the nightly now :cool:.

@rpedde wrote:

Also, if you can point me to instructions on getting the toolchain set up, I’d be happy to set up a build tree to pump out nightlies. It’s easy to do once the toolset is setup, but I just need a concise explanation of how to get it set up.

Turned out to be pretty easy :-). Get http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/gpl/GPL_1927.zip and follow these instructions (also on http://www.macsat.com/BuildEnvironment.php but somewhat modfied):

cd /opt
    svn co http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk optware

[..]

Besides the unslung stuff, we need to download the Asus GPL sources for getting the Asus toolchain (note that this is around 273 MB in size !):

cd /opt
    wget http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/gpl/GPL_1927.zip
    mv GPL_1927.zip GPL_1927.tar.gz
    tar zxf ./GPL_1927.tar.gz
    cp -R /opt/broadcom/opt/brcm

When using Olegs firmware versions equal to or above version 1.9.2.7-4, a patch for the Asus toolchain by Oleg is also needed.

wget http://oleg.wl500g.info/uClibc-0.9.19/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2

Theese are installed according to Olegs own instructions:

cd /opt
    tar -xjf hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full.tar.bz2
    rm -f /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc
    ln -s hndtools-mipsel-uclibc-3.2.3-full /opt/brcm/hndtools-mipsel-uclibc

Use your favourite editor to set the following line in /opt/optware/Makefile:

UNSLUNG_TARGET = wl500g

Now we just need a final step:

cd /opt/optware
    make directories
    make ipkg-utils

Testing / Building an ipk package
    A simple test is easy to perform:

cd /opt/optware
    make

I basically just did a ‘make mt-daapd’ after unpacking the toolchain and linking/copying the brcm stuff around, and it builds fine. A ‘make mt-daapd-ipk’ results in a nice .ipk, so that also seems to work fine. I also tried to apply the Oleg hndtools-uclibc patches (twice), but that screws up the environment so I left it out. AFAIK It’s only needed for building firmware anyway… If I manage to get a nightly building & running I’ll post a link, but feel free to take a shot at it as well :wink:. If you can wl500g packeges in your nightly builds would be great! It’s a pretty common router and especially the gP with 32MB is nice hardware for a firefly server, so the packages would probably be useful for others as well.

@rpedde wrote:

edit: Oh, and I’ve been working on xbmc. Seems like I’ve got it at least sort-of working. I’ll drop nightlies tonight.

Cool, good stuff :-). I’ll see if it works with if I get it running then![/url]

wouter
    Participant

Well I kind of gave up on this for now, getting a bit frustrated with the different build errors I’m getting on dependency packages. I already had to jump through a lot of hoops to get this far, partially because my (native) linux build environment was/is not really standard anymore, partially because I first used the unslung cvs instead of the svn (which appears to be out-of-date) and partially because of my own mistakes or because of errors in the unslung tree. Now I’m stuck at sqlite, the build fails on a syntax error in the configure script, so I’m guessing an autoconf version issue or something like that… Not really feeling like tracking this down atm, after 3 hours of fooling around with makefiles, C headers and configure scripts.

Maybe I’ll try again later, or if someone else has suggestions I’ll be glad to hear about it. Annoying fact is that a lot of packages build without any problems, except not sqlite, which AFAIK I need to build mt-daapd_svn…

wouter
    Participant

Ok, I fixed it, finally got a nightly built ok :cool:. Turned out to be a local libtool issue :shock:.

If someone else wants to build it: here’s how I did it, if your build environment is sane this should work fine. I’m running Ubuntu Dapper myself, make sure all the usual gcc & libc-dev stuff is installed. I had some problems with includes, probably because my own build environment was a bit screwed up, re-installing kernel-headers and kernel-sources fixed that. This was probably a local issue and not required otherwise.

NOTE 1: I installed everything in /opt (originally following the setup guide i referred to above), another path prefix would probably work fine but I didn’t test that.
    NOTE 2: I used svn snapshot 1498. The mt-daapd.mk I modified only works with this version, but just changing the version number in it should work ok.
    NOTE 2: I built a version with sqlite2 support, and nothing else (no ffmpeg, flac, ogg etc), as I don’t need or want that on my router. Adding these should be pretty straightforward by building the dependency packages and editing the mt-daapd.mk file and putting in the configure switches.

Hopefully I didn’t forget anything. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1] Get optware unslung tree from svn:

# cd /opt
    # svn co http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/optware/trunk optware

2] Download/rename/unpack ASUS tools:

# wget http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/gpl/GPL_1927.zip
    # mv GPL_1927.zip GPL_1927.tar.gz
    # tar zxf ./GPL_1927.tar.gz
    # mv -R /opt/broadcom/opt/brcm .

To save diskspace you can delete the /opt/broadcom/ directory after this.

3] configure unslung:
    3.1] in /opt/optware/Makefile set:

OPTWARE_TARGET ?= wl500g

instead of the default target (nslu2)

3.2] in /opt/optware do a:

# make directories
    # make ipkg-utils

4] make mt-daapd, sqlite:

# make mt-daapd
    # make sqlite2

5] install sqlite2 to /opt and copy the sqlite libs to the optware staging folder:

# cd /opt/optware/builds/sqlite2
    # make install
    # cd .libs
    # cp *.so *.a /opt/optware/staging/opt/lib/

This is only needed because the mt-daapd-2.4.2 .mk file I modified for the nightly doesn’t seem to put the sqlite2 libs in place properly, even though I added sqlite2 as a dependency. Also, the make install is just to keep the modifications to mt-daapd.mk convenient for me, a proper makefile would do all this automatically. I didn’t feel like figuring this all out so I did it manually.

6] copy modified mt-daapd.mk to /opt/optware/make

I put the .mk file on my local server, should anyone ever need it. Note that you need to change the version number in it if you want to build a different nightly build version. The file is here: http://bvb74.dyndns.org/~d-range/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.mk

7] Get the mt-daapd-svn_1498.tar.gz nightly and copy it to /opt/optware/downloads

8] do a ‘make mt-daapd’.:
    This will fail on a _tzset/_putenv linkage issue that can be fixed very easily by replacing these calls with tzset and putenv:

# cd /opt/optware/builds/mt-daapd/src
    # sed -ise "s/_tzset/tzset/" compat.c plugins/compat.c
    # sed -ise "s/_putenv/putenv/" compat.c plugins/compat.c

Not sure why this happens, it looks like a platform issue that should be fixed in the firefly sources.

9] do a ‘make mt-daapd’ again.
    This should work.

10] do a ‘make mt-daapd-ipk’.
    This should also work. The .ipk will be put in /opt/optware/builds, and is called mt-daapd_1498-2_mipsel.ipk

This is probably all a piece of cake for you Ron, but It took me a good 4 hours to get it building :lol:. Maybe this saves someone some time ;-).

Going to try installing and running the ipk later, I’ll update and post a link if it works ok.

Update:
    The package seems to work at least partially:-). Just finished scanning my library, web interface works! :cool:. My SoundBridge doesn’t see the share however, and the webinterface says: Bonjour: stopped. Also I had to link /opt/var/mt-daapd to /var/cache/mt-daapd and set guest permissions on it (on the wl-500g that is). The log says that the db-dir config option is deprecated but I don’t know how to set it to the right location so I did it this way. I put the package here if someone wants to test it: http://bvb74.dyndns.org/~d-range/mt-daapd/

Update 2:
    Apparently I need howl or avahi for bonjour support? No built-in bonjour? Neither of those 2 packages are in the optware repository so that would add another problem to fix… ๐Ÿ™„

rpedde
    Participant

@wouter wrote:

Update 2:
    Apparently I need howl or avahi for bonjour support? No built-in bonjour? Neither of those 2 packages are in the optware repository so that would add another problem to fix… ๐Ÿ™„

Ah, I had heard that. Actually, it *does* have built-in mdns, but I think the strange bridge + multiple vlan + multiple interfaces kind of messes with apples mdns stuff.

I’ll double-check and see if I still honor the “interface” parameter for bonjour. Maybe you can manually set he interface to advertise on.

— Ron

wouter
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@wouter wrote:

Update 2:

Ah, I had heard that. Actually, it *does* have built-in mdns, but I think the strange bridge + multiple vlan + multiple interfaces kind of messes with apples mdns stuff.

I’ll double-check and see if I still honor the “interface” parameter for bonjour. Maybe you can manually set he interface to advertise on.

— Ron

Hmm possibly… I checked with -d8 but I don’t see anything unusual. Only neither iTunes nor the Roku can see the share, though the webinterface & scanning works without a problem. Keeps saying Bonjour is not running. I configured with –enable-mdns btw.

Here’s the log:

Config entry general/db_dir is deprecated. Please review the sample config
    Loading new config file.
    Firefly Version svn-1498: Starting with debuglevel 8
    Starting rendezvous daemon
    Starting signal handler
    SetupInterfaceList
    mDNS_RegisterInterface: InterfaceID 10017000 192.168.2.100 not represented in list; marking active and retriggering queries
    Adding 10017010 (none).local. (Addr) to active record list
    Adding 100172BC 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) to active record list
    Not creating HINFO record: platform support layer provided no information
    SetupOneInterface: vlan1 192.168.2.100 Registered
    mDNS_RegisterInterface: InterfaceID 10019000 192.168.0.32 not represented in list; marking active and retriggering queries
    Adding 10019010 (none).local. (Addr) to active record list
    Adding 100192BC 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) to active record list
    Not creating HINFO record: platform support layer provided no information
    SetupOneInterface: br0 192.168.0.32 Registered
    Initializing database
    SendQueries: Sending 1 Question 0 Answers 1 Update on 10017000
    SendQueries: Sending 1 Question 0 Answers 1 Update on 10019000
    HostNameCallback: (none).local. (Addr) Name registered (0)
    HostNameCallback: (none).local. (Addr) Name registered (0)
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 9
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 9
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 9
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 9
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 2 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 2 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 8
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 8
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 8
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 8
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 2 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 2 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 7
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 7
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 7
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 7
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 6
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 6
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 6
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 6
    Starting web server from /opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
    Listening on port 3689
    Starting server thread
    Registering rendezvous names
    Adding 1001A670 Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) to active record list
    Adding 1001A91C Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) to active record list
    Adding 1001A118 _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) to active record list
    Adding 1001A3C4 _http._tcp.local. (PTR) to active record list
    Serving 1797 songs. Startup complete in 10 seconds
    Rescanning database
    ServiceCallback: Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) Name Registered (0)
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 9
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 9
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 9
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 9
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 4 Announcements, 1 Answer, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 4 Announcements, 1 Answer, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 5
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 5
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 8
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 8
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 8
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 8
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 5 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 5 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 7
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 7
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 7
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 7
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 4 Announcements, 1 Answer, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 4 Announcements, 1 Answer, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 5
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 5
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 1 Announcement, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 1 Announcement, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 6
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 6
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 6
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 6
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 4
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 4
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 5
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 5
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 5
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 5
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 5 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 5 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 4
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 4
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 1 Announcement, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 1 Announcement, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 3
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 3
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 4
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 4
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 4
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 4
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 3
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 3
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 3
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 3
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 3
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 3
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 5 Announcements, 1 Answer, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 5 Announcements, 1 Answer, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 2
    Announcing 100.2.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 2
    Announcing (none).local. (Addr) 2
    Announcing 32.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) 2
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (SRV) 2
    Announcing Wouter iTunes WL-500g._http._tcp.local. (TXT) 2
    Announcing _services._dns-sd._udp.local. (PTR) 2
    Announcing _http._tcp.local. (PTR) 2
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 6 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10017000
    SendResponses: Sending 0 Deregistrations, 6 Announcements, 0 Answers, 0 Additionals on 10019000
    Starting playlist scan
    Updating playlists
    Scanned 1797 songs (was 1797) in 109 seconds
    rpedde
    Participant

Hmm possibly… I checked with -d8 but I don’t see anything unusual. Only neither iTunes nor the Roku can see the share, though the webinterface & scanning works without a problem. Keeps saying Bonjour is not running. I configured with –enable-mdns btw.

mdns appears to be running on 192.168.2.100. vlan1, which should be the internal interface, right?

wouter
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

mdns appears to be running on 192.168.2.100. vlan1, which should be the internal interface, right?

Yes. The WL-500g connects to my ADSL modem via subnet 192.168.0.0/24, and all wired & wireless clients connect to the router on subnet 192.168.2.0/24. So it looks as if mdns is running on the right interface… I’m not sure if it would help, but if it’s possible I want to disable the 192.168.0.32 interface for bonjour. Maybe it screws up mdns. Note that mt-daapd 2.4.x ran OK with the exact same firewall/multicast/etc settings.

If I start iTunes or reboot the Roku while monitoring the log I see absolutely no activity at all, so something is definitely not right…

rpedde
    Participant

@wouter wrote:

So it looks as if mdns is running on the right interface… I’m not sure if it would help, but if it’s possible I want to disable the 192.168.0.32 interface for bonjour. Maybe it screws up mdns. Note that mt-daapd 2.4.x ran OK with the exact same firewall/multicast/etc settings.

On the same firmware version and everything?

Because it looks then like it’s firewalled or something…

Does this have a firewall.user?

Is it possible to just put a big unfirewall rule on the wan side interface?

iptables -i $WAN -j ACCEPT
    iptables -0 $WAN -j ACCEPT

Something like that?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 80 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.