Basic configuration question…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dave.B
    Participant

Hi, first post here, please go easy on me!
    I’ve spent the last week or so reading up on this before my NSLU2 arrived this morning. I put the latest uNSLUng 5.5 beta firmware on without any trouble, and eventually figured out how to install the latest mt-daapd nightly (svn_909-1). So all looks good so far. I have started mt-daapd and I can bring up the admin web page on port 3689, and both iTunes on my PC and my Roku Soundbridge can see “NSLU2” which is what I named the slug. The problem is that neither iTunes or the SoundBridge can see any music in the library (I have only put one album in there for now).

I have the music stored in disk1/public/mp3, and I have run chmod o+r -R /shared/hdd/data/public/mp3 (which returns “No such file or directory”).

Looking at the config page on the admin web page (port 3689) all the boxes are filled with things like @WEB_ROOT@ & @PLAYLIST@ etc… I have no idea whether I should change this or what to change it to!

Also, my Unix knowledge is non-existant, so when I am told to “edit the mt-daapd.conf” file, I have no idea how to do that (I’m Windows born and bred :rolleyes: )

A pointer in the right direction would be really appreciated. When it’s working, I will of course be making a donation.

Thanks in advance
    Dave.B

rpedde
    Participant

Ah. The config page is currently broken (and top of the “to fix” list).

The directory “/shared/hdd/data/public” corresponds to the share called “disk 1”.

If you make a directory directly under “disk 1” called “mp3”, *that’s* the directory it wants to share out of. So make that directory, copy some mp3 files in it, and go to the web admin. Hit the link on the status page to scan the directory, and then connect with iTunes or soundbridge, and you should be good.

Yell if this doesn’t get you anywhere.

— Ron

Dave.B
    Participant

Ron,
    Thank you for your reply. It seems to be working properly now! I knew it couldn’t be a big problem.
    thanks again
    Dave

Dave.B
    Participant

Right, me again.
    I copied 40GB of music from my PC to my external HDD this morning. Out of 5043 mixed MP3/WMA files, mt-daapd only sees the 1399 MP3 files.

I’ve already found info on this site about enabling WMA playback (my Soundbridge will play it, so mt-daapd just has to serve it up). The info I found here says to just add the WMA extension to the extensions part of the config file. How do I do that if the config page is currently broken? Is there a way to edit the config file directly? Or should I wait for the next nightly with a fixed config page?

Converting 3644 WMA files to MP3 isn’t the end of the world, but there must be a less tedious way!

Thanks again
    Dave

rpedde
    Participant

Oof. Okay… editing the config file. Probably the hardest part is getting an editor that you can use. crazy unix people use vi or emacs (emacs, really, because vi sucks. lol). An easier editor to use (one with a visible on-screen help system, for example) might be nano.

So first install nano with:

ipkg install nano

Once you have that, then do “nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf”. You’ll be editing the configuration file. Use the cursor keys to find the line about “Extensions”, and add “.wma” to the end of it.

Save it (using whatever the key commands are… ctrl-o, it looks like), then exit and restart mt-daapd. Probably best to stop it gracefully though the web interface, then do “/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd” to restart it.

That should do it.

— Ron

Post edited by: rpedde, at: 2006/04/02 21:59

Dave.B
    Participant

Ron,
    I appreciate your help, and I’m trying not to sound helpless, but something didn’t work.
    I installed nano correctly, but for some reason I can’t find the conf file, this is exactly what my Telnet session says now:

NSLU2 login: root
    Password:
    No directory, logging in with HOME=/

BusyBox v0.60.4 (2004.07.01-03:05+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    nano: No such file or directory
    #

I’ve tried a few different combinations of things, but I can’t figure out how to do a DOS style directory listing, so I can’t find the correct path to the mt-daapd.conf file.

Hopefully this is just one small, final hurdle before it’s up and running. I’m certainly impressed with the way it handles the mp3s so far.

Thanks again
    Dave

rpedde
    Participant

Check to see if there *is* an /opt/etc/mt-daapd directory… might look something like this:

foo@slug:~$ cd /opt/etc
    foo@slug:/opt/etc$ ls
    init.d mt-daapd openssh rsyncd.conf sudoers wgetrc
    libao.conf ntp profile rsyncd.secrets termcap
    foo@slug:/opt/etc$ cd mt-daapd
    foo@slug:/opt/etc/mt-daapd$ ls
    mt-daapd.conf
    foo@slug:/opt/etc/mt-daapd$ nano mt-daapd.conf

so “cd” is change directory, just like dos. “ls” is dir, with “ls -l” even more like dir — shows file length, etc.

There really ought to be an /opt/etc/mt-daapd, and it ought to have a mt-daapd.conf in it.

You could always fall back to something like:

find / -name "mt-daapd.conf"

which will search the whole file system for the conf file.

Dave.B
    Participant

Hmmm… strange things going on here. I can find the mt-daapd.conf file:

# cd /opt/etc/mt-daapd
    # ls -l
    -rw-r--r-- 1 guest root 8075 Apr 1 00:21 mt-daapd.conf
    #

but when I try to edit it:

# nano mt-daapd.conf
    nano: No such file or directory
    #

*Code snippets are cut & paste direct from Telnet session.

Thanks for your explanation of directory commands Ron – I don’t feel so “blind” anymore! But why can’t I edit the .conf file?

Post edited by: Dave.B, at: 2006/04/04 17:49

rpedde
    Participant

Ahh!

It’s not the *config* file that’s missing, it’s nano!

Did you have an error when you installed nano? Did you install it as root? As a worst-case, you can copy the config file to /data/share/hdd/public (DISK 1), and edit it on the windows side, then copy it back to /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf.

I’d still go the nano route, though, as you’ll eventually want to be able to edit files. A linux box you can’t edit files on is not the true linux box.

p.s. if I’m at my computer, you can find me on AIM as “rpedde68” — prolly faster that way.

— Ron

Dave.B
    Participant

Woo-hoo!
    Thanks for all the help Ron, it’s working!
    I went for the quick and dirty, edit the file in Windows approach, just to get it up and running. I’ll figure out why nano doesn’t work later. I did install it as root, and didn’t get any errors. If I do “ipkg install nano” again, it says “Nothing to be done”. Strange.

Oh well, I’m happy again, and I can get on with ripping CDs… 350 down, 800 to go 😛

Thanks again
    Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.