OK, my apologies for the version confusion, I’m using the cvs-20050320 version. I used the ipkg package to install and I automatically assumed that was a stable version.
In case it helps, here’s some more info: I changed the files in question and removed the accents (Michael Bublé –> Michael Buble), deleted the songs.db database and did a new scan, but the problem remains.
It is only those files, actually – other songs with artist names including accented characters play fine.
Also noticed that if I run iTunes on a PC connected to the mt-daapd server, the songs are played fine – so maybe it’s a Soundbridge problem, not mt-daapd.