WMA on NSLU2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Is it possible to serve WMA lossless to my M1001 from Firefly/NSLU2 ?

Or is there an other lossless format reconize/recomanded for Firefly/NSLU2 ?

Thanks in advance ….

fizze
    Participant

I doubt that there is a codec that works sufficiently on the slug. The w32-codecs or FFmpeg really depend on an FPU.

stretch
    Participant

@talisker wrote:

Or is there an other lossless format reconize/recomanded for Firefly/NSLU2 ?

FLAC

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks,

Thanks for answering.

I don’t really understand, what’s wrong with WMA. The M1001 regonize natively the following format : WMA, AAC, MP3, WAV et AIFF.
    In my point of you, it will be easier for the server to serve WMA lossless files, there are just pack (with a sort of zip process) than a MP3 file with complex computation.
    The footprint on the server should be smaller with a lossless format than a compressed one.
    And WMA is natively read by the M1001 so It should works, that’s the case when a wma file is serve from a regular PC.
    If I use .flac, I need to set the server to make a conversion before sending the file to the SB, and I think in this case, I will be face to a lake of horse_power on the slug.

🙁

fizze
    Participant

Your point is true with regular WMA (not lossless). However, lossless WMA is transcoded to WAV above a certain bitrate, and as the WMA codec is closed source, there is no integer-only implementation AFAIK.

For ogg vorbis, or flac, and the likes however, chances are there’s a suitable codec working on the slug. IIRC flac to wav transcoding is currently working on the slug.

S80_UK
    Participant

Correct – FLAC to WAV works very well on the slug, even serving more than one SoundBridge with different streams at the same time. As far as I know it is the closed-source status of WMAL which limits its availability on non-Windows platforms. If needed, dBpoweramp can be used to batch convert a library of WMAL files to FLAC while preserving tags.

EVILRipper
    Participant

Heh. But transcoding WMA to FLAC to WAV would be rather overkill if you ask me. But if what you say is correct, it is possible.

stretch
    Participant

@EVILRipper wrote:

Heh. But transcoding WMA to FLAC to WAV would be rather overkill if you ask me. But if what you say is correct, it is possible.

The WMAL to FLAC conversion is a one time process. You can delete the WMAL files when done.

The trigger point in a SoundBridge for having WMA transcoded to WAV is 400bps and as Fizze already pointed out, the SB can’t play WMAL.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Sound’s good for me, go for FLAC.
    I will transcode few files with my favourite tool (Foobar2K). It preserv the tags as well.

But what I need to do on the server side (NSLU2) ?
    Which package I need to install with Firefly to transcode FLAC on WAV ?
    Is it only a setting or a plugins ???

fizze
    Participant

If you use a fairly recent version (like svn-1586) you don’t need anything 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.