WINDOWS ISSUES

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    chrisbrousseau
    Participant

When I implemented these instructions to access my music directory on a network shared drive — everything went swimmingly until step #2 – defining the network share. For some reason I have yet to uncover, the application would NOT recognize the share when setup through the firefly web admin page – but DID work when the same information was entered through the system tray icon.

I am not sure why the web admin did not stick, but I continued to give me the dreaded ‘ Error: 500general:mp3_dir’ message until I made the input through the system tray. Has anyone else encountered this?

rpedde
    Participant

@chrisbrousseau wrote:

When I implemented these instructions to access my music directory on a network shared drive — everything went swimmingly until step #2 – defining the network share. For some reason I have yet to uncover, the application would NOT recognize the share when setup through the firefly web admin page – but DID work when the same information was entered through the system tray icon.

I am not sure why the web admin did not stick, but I continued to give me the dreaded ‘ Error: 500general:mp3_dir’ message until I made the input through the system tray. Has anyone else encountered this?

That’s a sign that the user you are running the music server as isn’t a user that has access to the network share. Stop and start the server to make sure it’s logging in with the user account you specified then try again.

chrisbrousseau
    Participant

The user who created the share, is the ID used in the login. Additionally, the solution does work when I set the UNC through the system tray – which is using the same ID as well. The difference appears to be the way in which the share is entered, where the path through the system tray worked for me, but when entered through the web admin firefly would return the error mentioned above.

Firefly is working now, referencing the network share.

paulwa
    Participant

I’m using a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini, which is a new NAS device, and though it has Twonky Media Server embedded I’d still quite like to point Firefly at the disk as well – Twonky isn’t handling playlists and tags too well.

However Firefly (SVN-1498) isn’t picking up my songs when I do a scan. I’ve followed the advice in this thread – setting the Firefly service to start up with a user name, which is passworded. I’ve set the UNC location as \MusicservershareMusic – however still nothing.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

rpedde
    Participant

@paulwa wrote:

I’m using a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini, which is a new NAS device, and though it has Twonky Media Server embedded I’d still quite like to point Firefly at the disk as well – Twonky isn’t handling playlists and tags too well.

However Firefly (SVN-1498) isn’t picking up my songs when I do a scan. I’ve followed the advice in this thread – setting the Firefly service to start up with a user name, which is passworded. I’ve set the UNC location as \MusicservershareMusic – however still nothing.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Well, some steps to troubleshoot might be:

1. Log in as that user and password (if that’s not who you are already logged in as), and make sure you can see that share by going to start->run and typing “\musicservershareMusic” right in the “run” box. If it doesn’t pop up with the directories with songs, that’s the problem. I’d cut/paste the path right from the firefly config file, to make sure I didn’t miss a typo or something.

2. Verify you stopped and started the firefly server after you changed the username/password

3. Set the debuglevel to 9, and do a full scan. Then take a look at the logfile in “c:program filesfirefly media serverfirefly.log” and see if that gives you any helpful info.

— Ron

marktiedens

Still cannot seem to get Firefly to scan songs in dlink 323.

I have:
    1. from Admin Tools>Services found the Fireflly Media Server and have added a user with the same login/password used to login.
    2. Stopped and started the Firefly Media Server.
    3. Updated the the libary path to be UNC method ( \dlink-EE6382Volume_1My Music )

Have I missed something?

Still, the Roku sees firefly, but no songs appear in play list.

Any ideas?

rpedde
    Participant

@marktiedens wrote:

Still cannot seem to get Firefly to scan songs in dlink 323.

I have:
    1. from Admin Tools>Services found the Fireflly Media Server and have added a user with the same login/password used to login.
    2. Stopped and started the Firefly Media Server.
    3. Updated the the libary path to be UNC method ( \dlink-EE6382Volume_1My Music )

Have I missed something?

Still, the Roku sees firefly, but no songs appear in play list.

Any ideas?

check out the section on network drives:

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/FAQ

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

System:

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Philips Intel Core 2 Duo Laptop
    Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001

I am running a wireless network through a hub and I am able to find the Firefly Media Server on the Soundbridge, enter my username and password, and access the library.

My problem lies with the location of the library. When I Connect to Firefly through my Soundbridge, the library is completely empty.

I have pointed firefly to my music folder, which lies in a different place(C:UsersSeánMusic) to the suggested location. I ran Firefly Debug mode, and the software found no files, but it appeared to still be looking for them in the wrong place. It seemed to be looking for my music folder in C:/user/SeBn//documents/music (Note the ‘B’ is a German b which is sometimes shown instead of ‘á’ for a reason I don’t understand.) I have no idea why it’s putting the ‘documents’ part of the location in.

I tried changing my windows username to ‘Sean’ to solve this problem, however the name of the user folder (C:/users/Seán/music) did not change, so I copied the entire music folder to another folder called ‘C:/users/Sean/music’.

I change the location of my music folder in the Firefly Media Server to the new location, and run debug mode again. Firefly is still looking for the music collection in ‘C:/users/SeBn/documents/music’ and finds no files.

I was told I needed Firefly Media Server V. 1.1b, but I’m having trouble finding it. I downloaded and installed Firefly svn 1586 – is this the right version?

I read on the firefly forum that 1.1b was realeased on the roku website, but I can’t find it and it’s suppossed to be svn 1483 (which is a bad release on the firefly website, and undownloadable).

If you could walk me through the solution, that would be great.

Thanks.

rpedde
    Participant

@SAWS wrote:

I change the location of my music folder in the Firefly Media Server to the new location, and run debug mode again. Firefly is still looking for the music collection in ‘C:/users/SeBn/documents/music’ and finds no files.

How did you change it? From the tray icon? You’ll have to start and stop it again to make it go.

I was told I needed Firefly Media Server V. 1.1b, but I’m having trouble finding it. I downloaded and installed Firefly svn 1586 – is this the right version?

If you originally installed a non-vista version, though, then there will be vista cruft laying around.

Look in /users//AppData/Local/VirtualStore and see if you see folders for program filesfirefly media server. If so, delete them.

Then try starting it again.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay,

so that helped. I can now see that Firefly has found my music collection (found 4000-odd songs), but I’m now having problems playing the files with the soundbridge.

I can usually connect to firefly (sometimes it doesn’t work, but if I start and stop firefly, it will connect), but when I go to browse, search, or playlists, and under any of the headings I believe it says ‘media not found’ or words to that effect.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks for your help,

Seán

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.