Wiki

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kellyharding
    Participant

Right, I’ve made a (albeit so far small) start on updating/transfer old wiki (wiki.mt-daapd.org) to new wiki (wiki.fireflymediaserver.org).

So, if anyone has content they’ve found useful on the forums? or other stuff, post it here so I can find it and I’ll update the wiki.

More there is thats in a readable format (best I can at least anyway) will give people a better first place to look and will improve the packaged
    documentation too perhaps.

Of course, it is also obviously fine for people to edit the wiki too πŸ™‚ but I don’t mind doing it if people provide information.

Ron, is there any content on the old wiki that shouldn’t be transferred?

Should there be seperate sections on the wiki relating to stable and nightlies?

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

Right, I’ve made a (albeit so far small) start on updating/transfer old wiki (wiki.mt-daapd.org) to new wiki (wiki.fireflymediaserver.org).

Nicely done, sir.

Ron, is there any content on the old wiki that shouldn’t be transferred?

Not really. The tunneling stuff needs to be there most of all, and anything that’s a recurring support question should really go in the FAQ, but no.

Should there be seperate sections on the wiki relating to stable and nightlies?

I think not. I keep hoping I’m merging toward a stable release soon, and I want the documentation to document that. So really, that should be documentation that is current for nightlies.

The old wiki I guess could sort of stay until a new stable, and then we can get rid of it. I’d like to keep the firefly one as the reference for the new one.

I almost have a script to turn that page into docbook. Maybe I’ll work on that today and finish it up. Then we can see how the doc is really going to look.

— Ron

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Nicely done, sir.

Miss, not sir πŸ™‚

Not really. The tunneling stuff needs to be there most of all, and anything that’s a recurring support question should really go in the FAQ, but no.

OK, I’ll work through it, if you notice anything thats not relevant, etc, just pm me or something?

I think not. I keep hoping I’m merging toward a stable release soon, and I want the documentation to document that. So really, that should be documentation that is current for nightlies.

The old wiki I guess could sort of stay until a new stable, and then we can get rid of it. I’d like to keep the firefly one as the reference for the new one.

I almost have a script to turn that page into docbook. Maybe I’ll work on that today and finish it up. Then we can see how the doc is really going to look.

— Ron

Right I’ll get what I can across and then work to check it is all relevant to the nightlies.

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Nicely done, sir.

Miss, not sir πŸ™‚

Erp. My bad. 😳

Sorry about that. I’ll let you know when I have the docbook script done. I think one can take docbook and turn it into windows .chm files, so that would be nice to include in the windows build.

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@kellyharding wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Erp. My bad. 😳

It’s ok, no offence taken πŸ™‚

Sorry about that. I’ll let you know when I have the docbook script done. I think one can take docbook and turn it into windows .chm files, so that would be nice to include in the windows build.

That’d be pretty cool. .chm, .pdf, .txt files would be about covered on all bases really. No need for .html as the wiki provides that in effect.

Kelly

kellyharding
    Participant

Copied more over now.

Will do the Linux install stuff later on if I get time.

There seems to be a lot of items in the contents of the new wiki that don’t exist on the old?

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

Copied more over now.

Will do the Linux install stuff later on if I get time.

There seems to be a lot of items in the contents of the new wiki that don’t exist on the old?

Kelly

Ya, new stuff that we were making for nightlies was all on the “new” wiki.

kellyharding
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Ya, new stuff that we were making for nightlies was all on the “new” wiki.

If you’ve got stuff for the wiki you’ve not had time to add, etc send it by email/pm and I’ll sort it out when I get time.

I don’t mind helping where I can πŸ™‚

Besides, I see it as a way of saying thanks for the work you’ve put into (and continue to put into) firefly, as it works pretty well for me πŸ˜€

Kelly

rpedde
    Participant

@kellyharding wrote:

If you’ve got stuff for the wiki you’ve not had time to add, etc send it by email/pm and I’ll sort it out when I get time.

I don’t mind helping where I can πŸ™‚

Okay… here’s a first stab at converting the wiki to docbook, and thence to pdf/html.

You can download the output of it at http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/Firefly-Manual.tar.gz

I don’t have everyone properly credited, and the author block stuff is wrong (and will reflect contributions by everyone), but it’s a first pass.

You can see what stuff is problematic — the big tables in some of the entries, and there isn’t intro text written for all the sections.

But you can see where this is going to go.

— Ron

jamiew
    Participant

The FreeBSD install page (which was never linked from the frontpage) is missing! Went ahead and added it, will copy the page over soon

Been doing lots of hacking w/ SSH tunnels that I’d like to add info on, as well as a copy of fairly thorough smart playlist.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.