What Hardware can play music streams?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion What Hardware can play music streams?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    maddes.b
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I’m wondering if there is other hardware than the Roku/Pinnacle Soundbridge that can play streamed music from a NAS without a PC/Mac?
    Is there something available from Apple or another company? If so, is it FireFly-compatible?

Your information is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Maddes

fizze
    Participant

The probably most similiar device is the SqueezeBox by Slim Devices Inc. but its inferioe, because its just a dumb client and requires a smart server. Software is available for NAS though, as well.

They aim more to the high-end audiophile market with very sophisticated DACs.

Not quite up to the challenge of RoKu I think, but still a nice design and anice piece of hardware, if you use their server software.

rpedde
    Participant

@maddes.b wrote:

Hi everybody,

I’m wondering if there is other hardware than the Roku/Pinnacle Soundbridge that can play streamed music from a NAS without a PC/Mac?
    Is there something available from Apple or another company? If so, is it FireFly-compatible?

Your information is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Maddes

Sonos has some really nice stuff. Out of my price range, though.

S80_UK
    Participant

@maddes.b wrote:

Hi,
    In addition to my two SoundBridges I also have a Roberts WM-201 which I use mainly for Internet Radio listening.
    http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/pages/wm201.html
    It will play media from a shared drive (NAS box) and will also work with UPNP although not with Firefly sadly. Media playback is currently not gapless, but on the plus side it includes FLAC and Real Audio support.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.