Various problems using NSLU2 and Amarok

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Various problems using NSLU2 and Amarok

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    MrE
    Participant

HI,

I’m running v0.2.4 on a NSLU2. The server itself is running fine, it scans my folders OK etc. however I have got a few, probably small, problems.

MP3 related:

1. Some MP3s do not display their bitrate, showing a question mark instead. Is this because they are in VBR?

2. When I drag song onto Amarok’s playlist, the tag information is read and displayed correctly, however on some songs the track title changes to a number, which I found out is the file name of the MP3 being streamed. Example, ‘Slowcar to China’ by Gary Numan will display ‘Slowcar to China’ in the Title column when the playlist is being populated but as soon as Amarok starts playing the track the title changes 7929865; this corresponds to daap://192.168.0.77:3689/1/7929865.mp3 (as per Amarok’s Track Info dialog).

3. Changing tracks while one is playing (either by double clicking on another track in the playlist or by using the ‘skip track’ buttons), causes Amarok to stop playing and then display the following error message

Error Loading Media
      No suitable input plugin. This often means that the URL's protocol is not supported. Network failures are other possible causes.
      http://localhost:55824/daap.mp3

where the port number displayed after localhost appears to be completely random. The track I’m trying to skip to will play fine after starting it again.

Ogg related:

1. It appears that the tags of my Ogg files do not get read until the track starts playing. This is a real problem because all my Ogg files (which make up around half of my 19,000+ tracks collection, so significant) appear in Amarok’s Shared Media list at the very bottom, without Artist and Album name, showing only the actual file names in ascending order.
      When loading those Ogg files in the playlist, the file name is shown as the track title, but once the track starts playing, all tag information gets read and displayed correctly. The Ogg files also play without problems.

2. Oggs suffer from the same track skipping problem as the MP3s (see above)

FLAC related:

1. FLACS, while being offered (I did add the flac extension to mt-daapd.conf), do not play at all. When trying to play a FLAC file, Amarok displays the usual ‘connecting to stream source’ message followed by ‘Buffering xx%” but then nothing happens, not even an error message. After something like 10 seconds Amarok simply moves on to the next track in the playlist.

2. Like with Ogg, the playlist does not display any of the FLAC tags, showing only the filename as the track title. When Amarok (attempts to) starts playing the track, it still does not load the tags correctly (whereas Ogg does, see above) but instead replaces the track title with a number, which, just like the MP3 problem described above, corresponds to the streaming filename.

Amarok does not have any problems playing those same tracks from my local hard disk (I’m using my Slug to backup all my music files and then subsequently share out those backed up files using Firefly); tags for MP3, Ogg and FLAC alike are read correctly, both in the collection and in the playlist.

I hope someone can help me shed a light on these issues. I’d like all of them to be solved but the most important one is the Ogg file tags not being read as this makes it impossible to find any Ogg encoded artists/albums.

My apologies for the lengthy post!

Cheers

fizze
    Participant

Nice to see a well written post. 😉

Ok, first and foremost, 0.2.4 is way outdated. I strongly suggest that you upgrade to the latest nightly. Look around at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org

Yes, your first problem is related to VBR files. If mt-daapd is set to scan at level 0 it will display no or errnous info for VBR files. A scan at level 1 or 2 does take considerably longer though. Especially on a slug.

If you upgrade to the latest nightly, be sure to have your config file overwritten with the default one. The format and many other things changed, so the 0.2.4 file is not compatible anymore.

Other than that, you’ll find that mt-daapd has grown a lot 😉

MrE
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have Just followed your advice and installed the latest nightly; wow, that’s quite a jump in version number! The slug is grinding away at the moment populating the SQL database 🙂

I noticed a couple of extra things already, such as a dependency installation of the flac library, oh, and to my surprise bash too! Does that mean I can actually run bash as my shell instead of busybox? Busybox is all nice and light and all that, but it made me realise how hard command line life is without autocomplete and why pwd is not such a useless command after all 😀

I’m not too bothered about seeing the bitrate of a streaming track, however the track length is something I would like to see. First let’s see what the effect of this new build is on my problems. After that I may go wild and set the scan level to 2 before going to bed 😆

I’ll post the results of the upgrade here, even if it’s only to say ‘it’s all good now!’

fizze
    Participant

Did you even discover the “new” webinterface yet?
    No more need to tinker with the config file manully 😉

Yes, just type “bash” to start it. If you set it in /etc/passwd it will load the bash, however it doesnt properly load the .bashrc and whatnot thats required to actually make good use of bash. (at least not for me)

But yeah, bash sure is nice to have on the slug. 🙂

MrE
    Participant

Wow, some significant improvements here, most notably with the speed!! Skipping between songs is almost as fast as with local tracks, cool! Well, when it works, that is…
    And yes, the new web interface is great,

Not all problems have disappeared though…

The Gary Numan track described in my initial post no longer changes its title tag to a number once the track is being played and the same goes for the other tracks that showed this behaviour.
    However, instead the track number disappears from the playlist for each of the tracks the moment it is played. None of the other MP3s I have tried so far have done this.
    I just noticed that with different albums it ‘removes’ different tags from the playlist; for example whereas with Gary Numan’s ‘Dance’ album it removes the track number tag, with Burzum’s Hlidskalf it removes the album tag.

Both Ogg and FLAC tracks now appear correctly in the Shared Media list, sorted by artist/album and the tags display correctly when dragging them onto the playlist. However, the problem where the streaming filename (a number) becomes the title tag, and wiping the other tags (from the playlist, that is) once you play the track now occurs with certain Ogg files (it didn’t before) and also affects FLAC.

The ‘no suitable input plugin’ error when skipping tracks still occurs a lot, although complete at random it seems.

I fully appreciate that as this is a nightly build, not everything may work as designed, but is there anything else to configure that could solve these problems? Are other people seeing the same symptoms?

Cheers

fizze
    Participant

Well, all this still using Amarok? Latest version I suppose?
    Do you happen to have some other DAAP clients you could try to tinker with to rule out that possibility?
    Banshee or Rhythmbox for example?

I mostly use the Soundbridge to stream, rhythmbox, or winamp with ml-daap occasionally. I do have some ogg files, but havent noticed that problem….

MrE
    Participant

I’ll give Banshee a try to see if it helps, but I’m starting to suspect there’s something wrong with Amarok’s database…

I have an album called ‘Mein Flügelschlag’ by the Austrian 🙂 band Dornenreich, however when I do a search in Amarok for that album I get 29 other albums by that name but by completely different artists! Upon checking the tags for each of these albums, I found that the album tag still contains the original title and not ‘Mein Flügelschlag’; this indicates a problem with one of the tables in the database…

Being a MySQL noob, I now have to figure out how to either repair the database or to create a new one 😕

This raises another question: will Firefly’s SQlite database be OK handling 19,000+ songs? I switched from Amarok’s SQlite database to MySQL because of performance issues (which haven’t really disappeared but that may be because of some other performance issues my Kubuntu install is suffering from).

fizze
    Participant

well, the bottleneck there really is the slug. sqlite scales very well.
    I donno what the biggest DB in terms of songs running on a slug is.

You did de-underclock your slug though, didn’t you?

MrE
    Participant

I’ve got one of the recently manufactured slugs which ships clocked at 266MHz.

I was kinda disappointed about that (in a geeky way) as there’s something exciting about overclocking (or de-underclocking, as is the case here) hardware to make it run faster 😆
    I’m glad though I didn’t have to irreversibly void my warranty!

rpedde
    Participant

@MrE wrote:

However, instead the track number disappears from the playlist for each of the tracks the moment it is played. None of the other MP3s I have tried so far have done this.

It’s amarok that’s changing it, but I’m not sure why. I’m wondering if I’m reading the tags differently than amarok is, or what. Not sure.

I just noticed that with different albums it ‘removes’ different tags from the playlist; for example whereas with Gary Numan’s ‘Dance’ album it removes the track number tag, with Burzum’s Hlidskalf it removes the album tag.

I wonder if this might be tag reading issues. I’m using libid3tag, but it might be that the tag reading library that amarok uses reads the tags differently. Like, maybe it has unsynchronized id3v1 and id3v2 tags, and I’m using id3v2 by preference and amarok is using id3v1. Or something of that nature. Wonder if it would be worth stripping v1 tags off those.

Both Ogg and FLAC tracks now appear correctly in the Shared Media list, sorted by artist/album and the tags display correctly when dragging them onto the playlist. However, the problem where the streaming filename (a number) becomes the title tag, and wiping the other tags (from the playlist, that is) once you play the track now occurs with certain Ogg files (it didn’t before) and also affects FLAC.

This also seems to be an Amarok issue. I think.

The ‘no suitable input plugin’ error when skipping tracks still occurs a lot, although complete at random it seems.

I fully appreciate that as this is a nightly build, not everything may work as designed, but is there anything else to configure that could solve these problems? Are other people seeing the same symptoms?

Not with other clients like iTunes or other daap clients. In fact, the server is pretty stupid — all the display and such happens on the client, so most of the things you describe are client issues.

Now, that’s not to say that I’m not sending stuff that amarok doesnt’ understand, or that amarok expects something specific that I’m not providing, but strange.

You can try setting the “empty_strings” to yes in the web admin… That might help some, as it acts more iTunes like in regard to sending null strings. That’s about the only thing I can think that might be affecting it.

I’ll have to set up an amarok client and see if I can duplicate this.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.