transcoding from flac to mp3 instead of wav?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion transcoding from flac to mp3 instead of wav?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jloiselle

I want to run my DAAP server at home through an SSH tunnel/Rendezvous proxy to my office, but WAV is too hefty to transport. Is it possible to transcode from FLAC to MP3? Or does wavstreamer have to be involved?

rpedde
    Participant

@jloiselle wrote:

I want to run my DAAP server at home through an SSH tunnel/Rendezvous proxy to my office, but WAV is too hefty to transport. Is it possible to transcode from FLAC to MP3? Or does wavstreamer have to be involved?

Doesn’t have to be. There are patches around to do just that (search the forums), but I won’t add them until I have a way to choose when to transcode to mp3 or when to transcode to wav. Until then, I’ll just refer everyone to the patch that’s out there.

— Ron

jloiselle

is this the patch?
    http://www.mt-daapd.org/components/com_simpleboard/uploaded/files/transcodefix.patch.txt

i couldnt seem to find any other patches searching for “mp3 patch”

jloiselle

i still cant seem to scour out this transcoding to mp3 patch? does anyone know where this is located? TIA.

rpedde
    Participant

@jloiselle wrote:

i still cant seem to scour out this transcoding to mp3 patch? does anyone know where this is located? TIA.

Hrm… I can’t find it either. I thought it used to be here, but maybe it didn’t live through the migration to the new forums.

jloiselle

i thought i read on this forum that you are planning to implement this type of functionality in the future.. what is the estimated arrival date on such an excellent feature… is this something donations would speed along? 😉

herr klang

okay, yeah, just another query to see if this patch exists anywhere. i use mt-daapd over a vpn to get at my home music. wav streaming over a 600kbps dsl link really just doesn’t cut the mustard, and my half-hearted hackin’ attempts have failed. won’t someone please show me the light? thx.

EDIT: i figured it out. i missed one other location where i had to change ‘wav’ to ‘mp3’ in the source code. i feel bad that the internet has record of me once being unable to figure this out, but i would also feel bad for removing it. okay!

barnseyboy
    Participant

can you give some details as to how you patched it – i have the same streaming to work over dsl issue, and wavstreaming isnt cutting it.

ignasigarcia

I’m also in the same situation. Isn’t there anybody who has used those patches that nobody finds and share them with the rest of us?

TIA

Ignasi

joeyo

Hi Guys,

I’m using [a|the] transcoding patch. I include alink to it below, however please note a few caveats:

1. It is a patch against cvs-20060317. This is old. Really really old. Your chances of getting it working on anything newer are probably pretty slim– I haven’t even bothered trying as a lot of code has changed in the meanwhiles.

2. It doesn’t seem to transcode ogg properly. I haven’t bothered looking into this as I mostly use it for flac->mp3.

3. I cannot provide support for this patch. Sorry.

http://plik.net/~joey/mt-daapd/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.