Transcode to mp3 on Windows version

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bernt
    Participant

Hi!

Is there or will there be a way to transcode flac to mp3 on the Windows version of Firefly?

I have searched the forum but can’t find any clear information about it.

Something like this, maybe? http://www.jinzora.org/pages.php?pn=products&sub=transcoding

Kind Regards
    /Bernt

rpedde
    Participant

@bernt wrote:

Hi!

Is there or will there be a way to transcode flac to mp3 on the Windows version of Firefly?

I have searched the forum but can’t find any clear information about it.

Something like this, maybe? http://www.jinzora.org/pages.php?pn=products&sub=transcoding

Kind Regards
    /Bernt

There has been high demand for it, and I think probably it will appear but I don’t have a real timeline for it.

Some of it also depends on how much people bug me for it, so you just helped he cause some. 🙂

bernt
    Participant

Ok, thanks. Looking forward to it. 😀

I can live with two media directories while I wait.

One for flacSlimserverSqueezebox and one for mp3FireflyiTunes.

Kind Regards
    /Bernt

Maxi

Where exactly is the problem with sending a transcoded flac file to the device such as a Roku soundbridge. I do this over a wireless connection and have yet to encounter a problem. My server is a low end P4 running Windows Server 2003 with extra apps for virtual machines, emule, utorrent along with the firefly server.

Transcoding to mp3 just defeats the purpose of having a flac file IMHO.

I have played both wave files and mp3 files (same set of songs) through a Roku Soundbridge M2000 and I can definetly hear a difference in quality of sound between the two standards. I will stick with flac transcoded to wave. If the tanscoding to mp3 feature becomes available I hope that the current feature of transcoding flac to wave is still available.

Regards
    Maxi

rpedde
    Participant

@Maxi wrote:

Transcoding to mp3 just defeats the purpose of having a flac file IMHO.

Yeah, that was my opinion too, but some folks are trying to listen to it at work from across a cablemodem connection or something. So it would be nice if you could set up rules that say transcode to .wav when sending to my soundbridge over the local network, but transcode to .mp3 at 128K when I’m listening via my cellphone or from work. (by user-agent, or by ip address range, maybe).

But yeah, transcoding to wav will still be the default method of transcoding, just that there might be situations where it actually did make sense to transcode to mp3.

— Ron

Maxi

For all the effort of trying to get music to be sent from home to else where it would sound like an ipod or having a duplicate set of music at work is eaiser. I actually have a duplicate set of music at work since the rules for allowing various content through the firewall at work is changed on regualr basis when the Administration council decides that extra site or groups should be blocked or an updated firmware or software gets applied and changes the firewall settings unexpectedly.

The added bonus of having a duplicate set elsewhere is a perfect backup, especially when a lot of effort goes in to making sure that the tag info is just the way you want it.

Maxi

belu
    Participant
    rpedde wrote:
    If the connection to the soundbridge is poor, wavs/flacs are unusuable due to permanent rebuffering, while mp3s may still work.

Eeek. True. Wireless considered harmful.

One day they’ll get that whole wireless thing working.

— Ron

mas
    Participant

Well, 802.11b is fast enough to play wavs. It works here over 10 m distance and 1 wall easily.

Its all a matter of how good the connection is and how good the wlan compounds work together…

failed assertion

I found that 802.11b works for transcoded files *if* your server isn’t on WiFi. With my PowerBook and the SoundBridge on the same WiFi network, I got constant rebuffering. Less of an issue now (I’ve got a dedicated Linux fileserver and everything’s wired), but yeah. 802.11b might be fast enough, but it’s pushing it.

mas
    Participant

With a medium good connection the 802.11b is fast enough. It works here with the transcoding streaming to a HomeMusic Roku that is located on a different floor than the router even. Connect is medium. 3-4/5 stars on a computer in similar distance.

But it can be a problem if the connect goes bad.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.