Temporary files created during transcoding?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Temporary files created during transcoding?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Abacus77

Hi,

I have had my NSLU2 for two weeks now, with uNSLUng 6.8, svn-1359 and a Roku (to be precise, Pinnacle) Soundbridge, and I’m really excited! Great stuff, many thanks to Ron for the fantastic work!

I have two questions:

(1) So far, I’ve been streaming MP3 only, but I would like to stream OGG as well. This needs transcoding, which works perfectly.
    However, are there any temporary files produced during transcoding?
    I guess yes, because I see the stick access LED blinking almost all the time when I play OGGs. To which directory are these files written, and (how) can I reroute these files to another destination?
    I’m asking because my uNSLUng runs on a flash stick which has – as we all know – a limited number of write cycles. If temporary files are produced, the best thing to do would certainly be to reroute them to the hard disk.

(2) If I want to upgrade to a new nightly, do I have to uninstall the current version first, or can I just “ipkg install ” over the old one?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,
    Abacus77

rpedde
    Participant

@Abacus77 wrote:

However, are there any temporary files produced during transcoding?
    I guess yes, because I see the stick access LED blinking almost all the time when I play OGGs.

The transcoding is done by the “mt-daapd-ssc.sh” script in /opt/sbin. For ogg files, it transcodes directly to stdout to wavstreamer, which does nothing but streams it straight to the client. Nothing on the mt-daapd side is creating any files.

To which directory are these files written, and (how) can I reroute these files to another destination?
    I’m asking because my uNSLUng runs on a flash stick which has – as we all know – a limited number of write cycles. If temporary files are produced, the best thing to do would certainly be to reroute them to the hard disk.

Possible it’s oggdec doing it. I can’t imagine anything writing to anywhere other than /tmp. That’s the only directory thats even probably writable by the user that mt-daapd runs as.

Actually, now that it think about it — maybe the shell actually creates temp files for redirection. If so, I imagine it would do it in /tmp.

(2) If I want to upgrade to a new nightly, do I have to uninstall the current version first, or can I just “ipkg install ” over the old one?

You can safely just install right over the top.

— Ron

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.