synchronise clients

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    michaelh

Hello all, this is my first post to this forum so I’d just like to start by thanking Ron for this cool piece of software.

I am using mt-daapd-cvs-20050815 on FreeBSD 5.4 serving an iTunes client.

What I would like to be able to do is add another iTunes client and have a dynamic playlist which would let you listen to what the other client is listening to. The audio for the 2 machines would have to be synchronised so I’m thinking that the playlist would appear as a radio station.

Is this currently possible?

I am a software developer so if this requires any changes to the source code then please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

michael holligan

rpedde
    Participant

This really isn’t something easily done. Particularly if you want true synchronization. Different clients buffer at different rates, and I think it would take significant client support to be able to synchronize two clients — that is, if you really want them exactly synchronized, like for moving room to room and having the music being seamless.

If you just want close, then you can do something like parsing the log output for song play events and drop it into a m3u and rescan, or feed it to shoutcast or something.

I think if “close” is close enough, I’d do the second option — would only take a bit of perl, and would be close enough.

— Ron

volker
    Participant

Take a look an the Quicktimestreaming-Server. OK, it’s a different thing, but you can listen on two maschines to the same Musik.

greetings, volker

michaelh

Ron, is it possible to redirect the daap client using a http redirect header to a url?

What I’d like to do is instead of sending the user the mp3 file, use icecast to broadcast it and tell the client where to hear it.

I’m pretty confident about writing the code but don’t know the daap protocol so I’m not sure if the redirect will work.

I’m guessing that the change would be required in dispatch.c but I’d appreciate any pointers as to which parts of dispatch.c I should be looking at.

If it is possible then I would look at implementing Perl hooks into the code so that what I do could be used by others. I’d obviously implement this as a compile time option.

michael

rpedde
    Participant

You can do that, sort of. Look at the .url file handling — that’s nothing more than a pointer to a shoutcast style stream.

So yeah, you can do that, but the location of the URL is sent at the time the client connects, not when the user selects the stream.

What I’m saying is that when the client connects to the daap server, it feeds it the urls for all streaming resources.

Of course, that could be a pointer to a http stream that redirected somewhere else, but it wouldn’t be done on the daap side.

— Ron

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.