SVN-1498 Soundbridge Problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Running NSLU unslung – serves up fine on iTunes client. My soundbridges however, have difficulty connecting. Once connected, “Browse Artists” fails with “Failed to Load Browse Data”. I have a large library (16,000 songs), so I tried several times to insure I wasn’t timing out. I’ve also created an index on artists to speed response time from sqlite.

CCRDude
    Participant

If I read that correctly, indexes will only help when browsing deeper (all albums of one artist), not the full artist list.

The only times I do experience such failures is when at the same time, I try to connect to the server in iTunes, somehow Firefly couldn’t handle multiple browsing connections in the last release. Are you trying to test the connection to iTunes at tthe same time you’re trying to browse?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CCRDude wrote:

If I read that correctly, indexes will only help when browsing deeper (all albums of one artist), not the full artist list.

The only times I do experience such failures is when at the same time, I try to connect to the server in iTunes, somehow Firefly couldn’t handle multiple browsing connections in the last release. Are you trying to test the connection to iTunes at tthe same time you’re trying to browse?

If sqlite behaves as other relational engines do, then the Artist list would be served up completely from the index in pre-sorted order without having to read the underlying table. It’s called “index covering” The performance improvements are quite large in large tables. While I have lots of experience with commercial relational engines, I have no experience with sqlite.

I only resorted to iTunes after my Soundbridge wouldn’t work. Actually, I tried it on 2 separate Soundbridges.

fizze
    Participant

oh, on the contrary, indices will also speed up browsing ALL artists, because they speed up sorting. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    But the improvement is more noticable, when browsing on ALL songs by a SINGLE artist.

I guess you are hitting a timeout. Did you deunderclock your slug?
    What does

cat /proc/cpuinfo 

say?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@fizze wrote:

oh, on the contrary, indices will also speed up browsing ALL artists, because they speed up sorting. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    But the improvement is more noticable, when browsing on ALL songs by a SINGLE artist.

I guess you are hitting a timeout. Did you deunderclock your slug?
    What does

cat /proc/cpuinfo 

say?

No, it’s not been de-underclocked. I’ve confirmed that it’s 133mhz. I may take a look at that. Though I also have to make serveral attempts to connect, which I didn’t have to do with the stable release I started with.

jheinitz
    Participant

Hi,

maybe there is a timeout problem in your environment. When you browse your library, could you please check if your FireFly Server is scanning the MP3 folder at the same time? Maybe the NSLU2 can not handle it all at the same time. I figured out that the whole NSLU2 become slow when the FireFly Server is performing a scan. I also discovered that setting the debuglevel to 9 increases the time to scan my MP3 folder. Actually it took longer than 10min and I configured the scan interval to be 10min so it scanned all the time.

It’s just to give you some ideas where the problem can come from.

Regards

Jens

CCRDude
    Participant

@pmorris wrote:

If sqlite behaves as other relational engines do, then the Artist list would be served up completely from the index in pre-sorted order without having to read the underlying table.

I guess that depends on the queries used? Doing a SELECT * FROM … wouldn’t have that advantage ๐Ÿ˜‰ But indeed, I just tested, and my Soundbridge can access the DB much faster now ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Shiny ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Anonymous
    Inactive

@CCRDude wrote:

@pmorris wrote:

If sqlite behaves as other relational engines do, then the Artist list would be served up completely from the index in pre-sorted order without having to read the underlying table.

I guess that depends on the queries used? Doing a SELECT * FROM … wouldn’t have that advantage ๐Ÿ˜‰ But indeed, I just tested, and my Soundbridge can access the DB much faster now ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Shiny ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Yes, you’re absolutely right. Thank you for making that clarification. I should have said that any query whose result set can be satisfied by an index will experience faster performance.

rpedde
    Participant

@pmorris wrote:

Running NSLU unslung – serves up fine on iTunes client. My soundbridges however, have difficulty connecting. Once connected, “Browse Artists” fails with “Failed to Load Browse Data”. I have a large library (16,000 songs), so I tried several times to insure I wasn’t timing out. I’ve also created an index on artists to speed response time from sqlite.

You might try fetching the list with firefox just to see if it parses right…

something lik:

http://server:port/rsp/db/1/artist

should give you an xml list of the artists. If it doesn’t parse right, that’s the problem. Otherwise, it must be time, but I can’t imagine it would take all that long.

Are you running on a particularly slow file system? Where is your /tmp mounted? If it’s on flash, can you try mounting a directory on your hard drive on tmp?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rpedde wrote:

@pmorris wrote:

You might try fetching the list with firefox just to see if it parses right…

something lik:

http://server:port/rsp/db/1/artist

should give you an xml list of the artists. If it doesn’t parse right, that’s the problem. Otherwise, it must be time, but I can’t imagine it would take all that long.

Are you running on a particularly slow file system? Where is your /tmp mounted? If it’s on flash, can you try mounting a directory on your hard drive on tmp?

That’s the strange thing: it’s serving up iTunes clients just fine. /tmp is mounted on a flash drive, but I don’t have any problem as long as I’m using iTunes to listen to music. I tried the URL you gave me and it works just fine: I get an xml list of the artists, though it takes a about 20 seconds. I suppose it could still be time; iTunes being more “patient” than Soundbridge.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.