Suppression of Duplicates

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cstern
    Participant

Maybe this already exists – but if not:

It would be nice to be able to suppress duplicates, i.e. if the same song exist two or more places, only one of them should be shown or even go into the database. For instance, I had an album with Texas in two different places on my server, and when I browse Artists and select the album, all songs come up twice (which is the behaviour FF should show normally). However, It is a little annoying to have to listen to all songs twice.

This example can of course easily be resolved by deleting one of the copies of the album.

Another perhaps more relevant example is if a song both is in a compilation and in a separate album. If the compilation has the tags such that the songs show the original album instead of the name of the compilation then the same problem would happen again.

PS. My Synology diskstation is still running smoooothly with Firefly – Thanks Ron for a nice program. At some point I will attempt to install it on my XScale based Intel SS4000-E NAS.

blamm
    Participant

I have a related requirement. My library contains songs that are encoded as FLAC, MP3 or both. Currently I have to keep the dupes [that are both] separate which makes synchronisation difficult. It would be cool if Firefly would only serve the FLAC if there was also an MP3 with the same file name in the same folder.

fizze
    Participant

Well, this should be rather easy by using a “distinct” or “group by” on the SQL backends. (difficult on gdb however)

The catch is, on what to specify the “distinct” ? I’d say artist || album || song for a start, but this has to be thought out cleverly with NVLs for the various file-types.
    Filename without extension might be a candidate too.

rpedde
    Participant

@blamm wrote:

I have a related requirement. My library contains songs that are encoded as FLAC, MP3 or both. Currently I have to keep the dupes [that are both] separate which makes synchronisation difficult. It would be cool if Firefly would only serve the FLAC if there was also an MP3 with the same file name in the same folder.

That’s maybe possible.

The parent issue though seems harder. It seems like it’s looking for a dwim implementation of tag handling, and I’m not sure I can do that in a way that everyone likes.

I’ll have to think on that more though. Might be something that can be exposed in scripting.

I appreciate the douglas adams reference though, mas. Nice.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.