Streaming Video

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    raymondh
    Participant

I have starting putting my DVD collection into the firefly directory so I can stream them.

I’m using svn-1586 running under opensuse 102 and connecting with itunes 7.4 on a mac.

I started with .mp4 files but itunes wouldn’t do anything when I tried to play them through the firefly share. itunes played them fine when I opened them directly from the drive.

I then changed the extension name to m4v. itunes will now play them off of the firefly share but I don’t think it’s streaming because it takes a long time to start playing, I think it may be copying the files then playing it.

Any ideas on how to get the files to stream? Right now it takes about 10-minutes to start a movie.

fizze
    Participant

I wouldn’t go about and use firefly for just that.
    There is plenty of media serving software out there that does a very nice job, even on resource-sensitive hardware like the slug.

raymondh
    Participant

I’m open to suggestions. I’m looking for something that will work with Front Row on mac. I’ve got several macs that I want to have access to the server.

rpedde
    Participant

@raymondh wrote:

I’m open to suggestions. I’m looking for something that will work with Front Row on mac. I’ve got several macs that I want to have access to the server.

It is indeed copying and playing. Not sure why though. Some files it seems to stream, others it seems to copy. I’m obviously not sending the metadata it wants, but I’m not sure why.

Clearly I need to check the metadata itunes sends more closely.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

@raymondh wrote:

Ah ok, well i guess fronz row kinda limits you to a DAAP-compliant server.
    Did you try http://www.snorp.net/log/tangerine or other DAAP implementations?

raymondh
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@raymondh wrote:

It is indeed copying and playing. Not sure why though. Some files it seems to stream, others it seems to copy. I’m obviously not sending the metadata it wants, but I’m not sure why.

— Ron

Yeah, as a work around I am just pointing frontrow to the shared drive (alias in my movies folder) and it works with the exception of the metadata.

Do you know how to get frontrow to display the cover and description of the movie files?

rpedde
    Participant

@raymondh wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

@raymondh wrote:

— Ron

Yeah, as a work around I am just pointing frontrow to the shared drive (alias in my movies folder) and it works with the exception of the metadata.

Do you know how to get frontrow to display the cover and description of the movie files?

Hrm… should Just Work.

If it doens’t, I don’t know how to make it. 🙂

Well, that’s assuming there is metadata and cover info embeeded in the file, that is.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.