streaming to pocket pc :(

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hello,
    this may be in the wrong section sorry if it is! and has maybe been covered already , i have searchd and found nothing really.
    i am a little bit of a novice to this networking/server stuff and these abbreiviations i have done some research and , i have a little knowledge of PPC’s and things.

my setup is a laptop with music on (itunes) , a wireless router and a mda vario. i am trying to stream audio from my laptop to a windows mobile device, from itunes so i can plug in to my hifi. i am struggling to connect to the firefly server through my mobile device, i am fairly new to streaming and stuff.

i do not wish to control itunes with the vario i can do that through my iphone (remote.app),
    i have posted on other forums and had no joy, so thought this would be the best place to post! 😛

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks ben

EVILRipper
    Participant

Your setup doesn’t use firefly.

But let’s see if I know a solution anyway.
    You’re playing music on iTunes, and want to reroute it wirelessly to a hifi.
    Really, you don’t need a windows mobile device for that. I think it would make it even more difficult.
    My first google for “wireless audio” gave me lots of satisfying results.

Unless ofcourse you want to do more than just transfer your music wirelessly, which is why you picked WindowsMobile.
    If so, let me know. I’ll see if I can find another solution. 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

well all i had done so far was install firefly, and it is listed in itunes, i was hoping firelfy would let me just connect to it through using the ‘go to url’ in windows media(mobile), the main reason for the pda is i thought it would be adequate and fairly straightforward 😳 to do i have the ppc spare and havent got a use for it, and the cost of the soundbridge is around 100 and the airport express is around 60, so i thought i could save some pennies and utilise the ppc, i seem sadly mistaken,

thanks for the fast reply really appreciated. 🙂

EVILRipper
    Participant

Um. OK. I have misunderstood your situation a little.

You can indeed have iTunes to list firefly and play from it. You can use your iPhone as remote control. (If it simply skips songs, etc)
    However, each client can listen to it’s own music using 1 firefly server.
    The fact is, firefly starts a thread for each song requested. It doesn’t go like “currently the server is playing this song” like shoutcast has for example.
    So you cannot remote control the music played by one client using another client. (At least, that’s what I understood you wanted to do)

Next to that. There is no client that works with firefly for windowsmobile that I know of. Yet?

Hope this helps.. 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

you are a star thank you very much ! looks like i will have to ospend the cash on an airport express..

i was just underther misguided impression i could ‘connect’ the music being played in the itunes/firefly thing.

last question 😛 . . . . .

is there any other program that can do this, shoutcast i shall investigate. . . . .

thanks ben 😀

EVILRipper
    Participant

I don’t really know many alternatives, but I’ve heard something about slimserver.
    A quick google led me to the following site: http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html

Supposedly it does what you wanted:
    – Web Interface—control the player and manage playlists from a web browser
    – Supports multiple synchronized players

It used to be the free open source slimserver. Now it’s been taken over by Logitech to feed their overpriced music clients with music.
    I think it has the same idea of firefly and a soundbridge, but the software plays 1 song which is sent to all clients, which firefly doesn’t (can’t?) do.

But you’re not the first person I’ve seen that misunderstood that.
    Maybe an idea for a feature to switch between those types of functionality..

vdb_peter

Hi- all is not lost.

But I couldn’t figure how to do it with Firefly Server/mt-daapd unfortunately (would have been my preferred configuration- Anyone?)

Same scenario as you: WiFi PDA & stereo. I already have a Roku Soundbridge connected to my primary sound system, but rather than buy a 2nd, see what was around for PDAs.

I have successfully had a IPAQ 4700 using both WM5 & WM6 (2 different devices) using GSPlayer on the PDA but with- dare I say- Icecast & EZstream running on a linux server. Works a dream. Set your playlist in the server, and away you go.

I’m now working on a getting a Firefly client that I’d like to run on the same PDA. Now, that seems to be a bit of a challenge too. But all good fun 🙂

Regards
    Peter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.