streaming playlists and win32

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BillyBuck
    Participant

Are streaming playlists only supported on Linux? I’m not having any luck on Windows.

As per the Wiki, I created a file named “radio.url” that includes this line:

64,KUT – NPR Austin,http://pubint.sc.llnwd.net:9005/

I added .url to my extensions list and rescanned.

Station does not appear anywhere in playlist.html

I then tried creating an m3u file containing this text:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:0,KUT
    e:radioradio.url

My config is set to scan m3u files. The url and m3u files are in my scan path.

The playlist appears on playlist.html but it shows 0 entries.

I also tried creating a dynamic playlist where type includes “URL” and it also shows zero entries.

The only Windows-related issue I can think of is that it treats files with the url extension as shortcuts, but when I open the file in a text editor it still shows the correct format. It also correctly shows as radio.url when I do a dir from the command line.

sonichouse
    Participant

If it helps I have the following on my SLug

brmb.m3u

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:0,BRMB
    /public/mp3/brmb.url

and
    brmb.url

64,BRMB Radio,http://mediasrv.musicradio.com/BRMB

I too added the .url extension.

Did you restart your firefly after changing the configuration ?

BillyBuck
    Participant

Yep, did restart service after changing extension configuration.

I should mention this is with 1450, though I had the same problem with 1441 so I think it’s probably operator error and not the software.

rpedde
    Participant

@BillyBuck wrote:

Yep, did restart service after changing extension configuration.

I should mention this is with 1450, though I had the same problem with 1441 so I think it’s probably operator error and not the software.

And disconnect and reconnect? And are you using a either iTunes or a Soundbridge as a client? Because as much I know this answer sucks, “it works for me”.

Not sure what I’m doing differently, though. The things I can think of are the fact that I edited the file from dos, and that might be something. .url is a special file type on windows, and it might get treated differently. In fact, it might have a hidden “.lnk” at the end of it or something. Who knows.

Might be worth looking at the file in dos to make sure it’s named what you think it is — sometimes (often?) the gui tools lie.

BillyBuck
    Participant

Yes, did a disconnect/reconnect on the Roku SB. In fact, rebooted it.

I also confirmed that the actual filename is radio.url by going to a dos prompt and doing a “dir”

The m3u file shows up on firefly’s playlist.html, but it says it contains 0 entries. Same thing if I create a dynamic playlist where type contains url.

The url file and m3u file are in the same folder, both in my scan path.

rpedde
    Participant

@BillyBuck wrote:

Yes, did a disconnect/reconnect on the Roku SB. In fact, rebooted it.

I also confirmed that the actual filename is radio.url by going to a dos prompt and doing a “dir”

The m3u file shows up on firefly’s playlist.html, but it says it contains 0 entries. Same thing if I create a dynamic playlist where type contains url.

The url file and m3u file are in the same folder, both in my scan path.

http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/kut.zip

These are the files I used, and work.

1. Double check you have the “.” in “.url” in your extensions list.
    2. Make sure the file isn’t named something like “foo.url“. That’ll get you.
    3. Check using iTunes or Soundbridge as a client.

The web playlist interface shows 0 artists, 0 albums, 0 genres, but it does show the “song” in the song list, so make sure you check there, or with a real client.

— Ron

BillyBuck
    Participant

Got it. Just before I saw your post I deleted songs.db and rescanned. Also selected “file system is case sensitive: no” Then tried your files and they worked. Not sure which of these made the difference. The only difference between my files and yours was that your url file had a couple of returns at the end of the file. Does the parser look for n as EOF?

I also found in the DB that url files are being assigned type pls, which is why they weren’t being added to the dynamic playlists.

This is a really great feature! I love being able to build playlists with more than the Roku’s limited presets, and not having to change to a different library.

I sort of created my own genre by naming the streams and url files [genre] – [station name] so they get sorted by genre alphabetically.

rpedde
    Participant

@BillyBuck wrote:

Got it. Just before I saw your post I deleted songs.db and rescanned. Also selected “file system is case sensitive: no” Then tried your files and they worked. Not sure which of these made the difference. The only difference between my files and yours was that your url file had a couple of returns at the end of the file. Does the parser look for n as EOF?

I also found in the DB that url files are being assigned type pls, which is why they weren’t being added to the dynamic playlists.

This is a really great feature! I love being able to build playlists with more than the Roku’s limited presets, and not having to change to a different library.

I sort of created my own genre by naming the streams and url files [genre] – [station name] so they get sorted by genre alphabetically.

It’s kind of hackish, but I like the fact that it makes each item a file, which makes it easier to do playlists and smart playlists as well. I think I could hack up (now) pls support, and I probably will have to at some point, but I kind of like this implementation.

I do want to get more metatags for it. Comment and genre at least. Had a discussion with someone interested in implementing something like that. We’ll see how it goes.

— Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.