Stream to AppleTV?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    volatile.memory
    Participant

Anyone had any luck streaming directly to AppleTV? I’ve tried the latest stable version, and one of the nightlies.. I can see everything fine via iTunes (on Mac and PC), but I can’t get anything directly to AppleTV.

Anyone? Anyone? 🙁

v.m

rpedde
    Participant

@volatile.memory wrote:

Anyone had any luck streaming directly to AppleTV? I’ve tried the latest stable version, and one of the nightlies.. I can see everything fine via iTunes (on Mac and PC), but I can’t get anything directly to AppleTV.

Anyone? Anyone? 🙁

v.m

Won’t go. Uses PKI to authenticate with the iTunes client, and looks to take more mojo than I have to make it work. Plus, even if you did manage to tease out a certificate from iTunes, apple would just make it invalid next firmware update to the appletv.

Basically, it looks like they don’t want to stream from third-party apps. So any attempt at trying to do so will just break every software update. Not worth chasing, IMHO. Look at the hymn project for evidence of that.

I think the best idea is a plug-in on the appletv side. I’ve played around a bit with the plugin stuff, but haven’t really had time to sit down and play seriously with it.

Anybody out there a good cocoa programmer? Probably wouldn’t be too tough to hack out a client for it.

sansp00
    Participant

I have a stupid question … Can you just mount the drive containing the media (music, video, photo) and make the ATV think its local, thus bypass the streaming ?
    I know that pics are copied, not streamed, but can you do the same with other media ?
    Thanks
    Patrick S.

rpedde
    Participant

@sansp00 wrote:

I have a stupid question … Can you just mount the drive containing the media (music, video, photo) and make the ATV think its local, thus bypass the streaming ?
    I know that pics are copied, not streamed, but can you do the same with other media ?
    Thanks
    Patrick S.

Yeah, you can do that, but you have to install the local files hack. But yeah, that will work. I’ve played with it that way some.

Only thing its missing is being able to play an .iso or video_ts directly.

sansp00
    Participant

If its just that one hack, it ain’t that bad … Thats what most media player do today anyway. It’s really to bad for the streaming, cause it would have been sooooo much simpler that way.

Another idea that pop up was to replace backrow with frontrow … Is this feasible or not ?
    Patrick S.

rpedde
    Participant

@sansp00 wrote:

If its just that one hack, it ain’t that bad … Thats what most media player do today anyway. It’s really to bad for the streaming, cause it would have been sooooo much simpler that way.

Another idea that pop up was to replace backrow with frontrow … Is this feasible or not ?
    Patrick S.

Probably. Really, all one needs to do is replace Finder.app (which is really backrow), with some task switcher app. I expect people will have something for that soon, to be able to run CenterStage, FrontRow, MythFE, etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.