Startup script FC5

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    the_witness
    Participant

First of all, thanks ron for answering my previous questions!

Next up, I copied the init.d script for my fedora box, but once the machine boots, i don’t see the mt-daapd in my iTunes. A quick check and I notice that mt-daapd is only using one pid.

Is there something else I should have done?

rpedde
    Participant

@the_witness wrote:

First of all, thanks ron for answering my previous questions!

Next up, I copied the init.d script for my fedora box, but once the machine boots, i don’t see the mt-daapd in my iTunes. A quick check and I notice that mt-daapd is only using one pid.

Is there something else I should have done?

No, doesn’t seem so. What does syslog say? Did you try a higher loglevel? Does the log file tell you anything?

the_witness
    Participant

I’m not sure what I should be looking for in the syslog.

First off what file should I check?
    Then, what message?

rpedde
    Participant

@the_witness wrote:

I’m not sure what I should be looking for in the syslog.

First off what file should I check?
    Then, what message?

syslog generally writes to /var/log/messages, and if the server craps out fatally, it will leave a (helpful?) message in syslog saying why. It might be something obvious, like “this directory doesn’t exist” or something like that, so it’s always worth checking the syslog.

So what you would be looking for is something that explains why the server didn’t start.

As far as the logs go, you can set a “logfile” and a “loglevel” value so that you get more detailed logging. Try loglevel at 5, and then 9 if that doesn’t get you anywhere. And set the file to some path writable by the daemon. (I usuall use the PUBLIC share on my slug to dump logs, that way I can open them over smb to look at them).

They might give you a hint as to why it’s dying, too.

— Ron

the_witness
    Participant

Here is what the syslog shows

Sep 29 06:51:01 localhost mt-daapd[12715]: Starting with debuglevel 6
    Sep 29 06:51:01 localhost mt-daapd[12715]: Starting rendezvous daemon
    Sep 29 06:51:01 localhost mt-daapd[12716]: *** WARNING *** The programme 'mt-daapd' uses the HOWL compatiblity layer of Avahi.
    Sep 29 06:51:01 localhost mt-daapd[12716]: *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
    Sep 29 06:51:01 localhost mt-daapd[12716]: *** WARNING *** For more information see
    Sep 29 06:51:01 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Starting signal handler
    Sep 29 06:51:02 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Initializing database
    Sep 29 06:51:03 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Starting web server from /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
    Sep 29 06:51:03 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Registering rendezvous names
    Sep 29 06:51:03 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Serving 1707 songs. Startup complete in 2 seconds
    Sep 29 06:51:03 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Rescanning database
    Sep 29 06:52:20 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Got shutdown signal. Notifying daap server.
    Sep 29 06:52:21 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Error rescanning... bad path?
    Sep 29 06:52:21 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Scanned 1707 songs (was 1707) in 78 seconds
    Sep 29 06:52:23 localhost mt-daapd[12717]: Stopping gracefully

Then on the web server, although I can see my server in itunes, it says that “Bonjour” is stopped.

Also, as a sidenote, I put a .mp4 video file on the server. I can see it in itunes, but when I play it, nothing happens… hmmm……

PS: I decided to shutdown the server. That’s why it’s shutting down in the syslog.

rpedde
    Participant

@the_witness wrote:

Here is what the syslog shows

this look okay.

Then on the web server, although I can see my server in itunes, it says that “Bonjour” is stopped.

That’s a known issue that I need to track down.

Also, as a sidenote, I put a .mp4 video file on the server. I can see it in itunes, but when I play it, nothing happens… hmmm……

For some reason itunes copies the whole file locally, then plays it. So if it is a big file, it takes a long time before it starts.

Apparently it’s now showing up in iTunes?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.