Stablest Nightly?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Boring
    Participant

Hi,

I am running the stable mt-daapd on Ubuntu 6.06 and enjoying it very much. But I took a look at the Firefly 1.0 distributed by Roku on my Windows machine, and I really like the look of its playlist management.

Which nightly is most stable for now? Also, can anyone show me some info on installing one of the those tar.gz files? I have zero experience with compiling. (Is that what this would require?)

Thanks for any help in advance.

-E

fizze
    Participant

well, I had svn-1400 running for like 60 days on my NSLU2.
    Cant really say much about 1433 or what it is now – it has been running since 1400 crashed and I updated ๐Ÿ˜‰

the reason for the crash was a full disk, btw ๐Ÿ˜‰

rpedde
    Participant

@Eric Boring wrote:

Hi,

I am running the stable mt-daapd on Ubuntu 6.06 and enjoying it very much. But I took a look at the Firefly 1.0 distributed by Roku on my Windows machine, and I really like the look of its playlist management.

Which nightly is most stable for now? Also, can anyone show me some info on installing one of the those tar.gz files? I have zero experience with compiling. (Is that what this would require?)

Thanks for any help in advance.

-E

I think 1450 has some memory leaks. svn-1359 is what the 1.0 is, and that’s pretty stable.

Eric Boring
    Participant

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but if I went to a nightly, would it use the same config file I’m using for the stable release?

Would I just install the debian package and that would overrite the current install, or should I install the stable version first?

Are there other steps to take to get the nightly running in stead of the stable?

Thanks again for any advice.

-E

rpedde
    Participant

@Eric Boring wrote:

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but if I went to a nightly, would it use the same config file I’m using for the stable release?

The config file is a bit different, so you’d probabl do well to uninstall the current, make sure the /etc/mt-daapd.conf got deleted, and install the nightlies.

Are there other steps to take to get the nightly running in stead of the stable?

That’s about it, although there are new dependancies. On Ubuntu, it’s probably libsqlite0, libflac, and libvorbis. I think that’s it. Otherwise, just start with a fresh config, edit to taste, and you should be in business.

Eric Boring
    Participant

If I install from debian, are those dependancies included in the .deb file? Or do apt-get them?
    (Still pretty new to Linux here….)
    Thanks.
    E

Eric Boring
    Participant

OK, so I took the plunge and installed the latest nightly (1463) from debian. Easier than I thought.
    So far so good, although it seems a little touchy about the web admin page and building playlists while music is playing. That seemed to crash the server. I will leave that alone and see how the music handles going to just one device at a time for a while.

One thing is for sure, though: Roku flips though the browse categories _much_ faster than it did under the stable release. That’s kind of cool.

Thanks for the encouragement with this. Pretty fun to muck around on the bleeding edge ๐Ÿ˜‰

-E

EDIT:
    I should clarify: Whatever problems I had came about mucking about the static playlist page. I’ve been building smart playlists on the fly with the available tab and wizard, and haven’t had any problems yet. Very, very cool. This is fun!

rpedde
    Participant

@Eric Boring wrote:

I should clarify: Whatever problems I had came about mucking about the static playlist page. I’ve been building smart playlists on the fly with the available tab and wizard, and haven’t had any problems yet. Very, very cool. This is fun!

That’s breakage that was reported and fixed a couple days ago. Next nightlies will have a fix for it.

– Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.