SSC is awesome

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    joshk

Hey, I just started using SSC with the nightlies and it is pretty great.
    Would it be possible to take it to the next level and allow the SSC script to return an encoded mp3 to stdout and serve it to the iTunes client as MP3, instead of WAV, to save (local network) bandwidth?

Thanks for a great feature regardless!

rpedde
    Participant

The only other thing would be that you would have to change the file size and bitrate.

Seems like that’s about all. Some clients get unhappy when they don’t have an accurate file size. I think you’d have to calculate it based on CBR, but it’s doable.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

Yup, but I’m not going to even touch that until the configuration is in the database.

I don’t want to invest the time in making the config file parser smarter when I know it’s just going to get put in the database anyway.

It’s something that’s on the list.

rpedde
    Participant

If it removes the .wav transcoding in favor of .mp3 transcoding, then no, I don’t need it. I intend at some point to have multiple transcoding backends, and have preferences selectable by connecting ip address, or client type, or something else, but if it’s just to remove .wav in favor of .mp3 without a way to select between them, then no, I won’t commit it.

You can send it to me, and I’ll post it somewhere where others can get it, but I won’t commit it unless there is a way to select which backend you want.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

Cool. I have some ideas on how I want to do transcoding backend in the future, but this might be a good enough solution to last for some time.

I appreciate the help. I’ll take a look at the patch.

Thanks.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

I think the fault is in the streaming program — it doens’t notice the broken output pipe and sigstops.

Probably I could do something on that, but it’s just a simple popen, and I don’t think I can get the underlying pid to sigkill it.

I could fix it by doing a fork + exec and tracking the open pid numbers, and probably will end up doing that at some point, but for the encoders supported in the script that ships, it works, so haven’t done it yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.