SQLite Prob on NSLU2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    POI

Hello, maybe somebody can help me with this, it’s driving me nuts. I can’t get the daemon to start at all and I’ve never dealt with SQLite. Below is a sample log with the problem in bold. About all I’ve tried is to get rid of the songs.db file and restart but it doesn’t help.

2005-05-09 08:09:16: Starting rendezvous daemon
    2005-05-09 08:09:16: Starting signal handler
    2005-05-09 08:09:16: db_sqlite_open: malformed database schema – unable to open a temporary database file for storing temporary tables /opt/var/mt-daapd/songs.db)
    2005-05-09 08:09:16: Aborting
    2005-05-09 08:09:16: Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
    2005-05-09 08:09:16: Aborting

Any takers? I would really appreciate it!

-POI

rpedde
    Participant

I think that means that the “runas” user doesn’t have write permission to /opt/var/mt-daapd.

Double-check your permissions — try “chown user /opt/var/mt-daapd” where user is the user specified in your “runas”.

POI

Ok, I tried that with a user of ‘guest’ and of ‘nobody’ and still get the same error. Also, after I changed the owner, I deleted the db file before trying to start up. I’m really lost here. The perms look right to me.

# ls -l
    -rw-r–r– 1 nobody nobody 0 May 9 09:04 songs.db

rpedde
    Participant

Not the .db file, but the directory it’s sitting in (/opt/var/mt-daapd).

If the “runas” user can’t create files in /opt/var/mt-daapd, that’s when you get the error described.

So check to see that /opt/var/mt-daapd is owned by the user that is the “runas”, and delete the songs.db file. Then start it and see where you get.

— Ron

p.s. you can check this interactively by doing “su guest”, then changing to /opt/var/mt-daapd and see if you can create a file.

slug:/# su guest
    slug:/$ cd /opt/var/mt-daapd
    slug:/opt/var/mt-daapd$ touch test.fil
    slug:/opt/var/mt-daapd$

if that won’t work, then mt-daapd won’t work either.

— Ron

POI

Ok, I verified all that and can create a file in that dir no problem. This is a strange one.

rpedde
    Participant

what about /tmp? That should be world writable.

POI

Yay! /tmp was it, the write bits were missing for group and user. Now the server starts up ok and I can navigate the admin pages. It’s not registering the songs in the directory yet for some reason but I’ll poke around a bit and see what might be causing that. But just getting it started and having iTunes see it is fun enough for tonight.

Thanks for your help.

rpedde
    Participant

Again, that’s very likely permissions. Check that your permissions on the mp3 files are readable by the runas user.

I think it’s probably got correct permissions if it’s running as guest.

POI

I’m a little new to Linux perms and I’m still having probs with startup. It says that it “scanned 0 songs in 3 seconds”.

Do these perms look ok to you? Seems like they might even be too loose but I wanted to eliminate any problems.

drwxrwxrwx 2 guest everyone 4096 May 11 22:18 music

velociped
    Participant

Those permissions are as liberal as they can get — though a little overkill. IME, 755 is sufficient for use with mt-daapd.

That said, if you are seeing “scanned 0 songs in 3 seconds” you may want to ensure that the library path (“mp3_dir”) in the configuration file is accurate. On a slug it should be something like /share/hdd/data/…/.

Herman

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.