SoundBridge finds wrong server

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ccomley
    Participant

I realise this is a SB config issue not a Firefly issue, but teh Roku forums are off line and I hope someone here can help.

I have a SB running 2.5.171, and Firefly running over XP.

These work perfectly together

EXCEPT

I also have a Mac G4 on the network.

Whenever I reboot the SB, *if* the Mac is on, then the SB says it has found incompatible servers, and won’t go any further. I have to take the mac off the network, reboot the SB, wait until the SB finds the Firefly server and connects to it, then reconnect the Mac.

Which is really psising me off.

I even tried moving the SB and Firefly to a totally different IP subnet but still the SB whinges. And I’ve been into iTunes on teh Mac (which I never use anyway – crap software IMHO) and made sure the Share My Music box is un-checked.

Anyone know if this bug is fixed in the new firmware? Or can be worked around sensibly in the current firmware without having to unplug the Mac every time?

👿

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

I even tried moving the SB and Firefly to a totally different IP subnet but still the SB whinges. And I’ve been into iTunes on teh Mac (which I never use anyway – crap software IMHO) and made sure the Share My Music box is un-checked.

Anyone know if this bug is fixed in the new firmware? Or can be worked around sensibly in the current firmware without having to unplug the Mac every time?

I don’t have a firm answer, but I do know that there were lots of fixes for how it handles daap versus rsp stuff at about that time frame. (172, I think. 173 fixed playlists, 174 added the WPA. I think that’s right).

If you are using nightlies, you can probably help the soundbridge by taking the daap module out, and only loading rsp. That might help it some, too.

— Ron

ccomley
    Participant

Thanks for the input.

No, I tend to sitck to “released” code, I have enough trouble with beta-testing stuff during the day! 🙂

I’ll see if I can grab a later version without going all the way to the new beta.

Thanks for the input.

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

No, I tend to sitck to “released” code, I have enough trouble with beta-testing stuff during the day! 🙂

lol… can’t blame you for that.

– Ron

ccomley
    Participant

Well, I’ve tried later released software and I’ve tried the beta software.

I’ve tried re-starting Bonjour/Firefly on the XP box (Firefly GUI claims bonjour is stopped even when it is shown as running in the Services list) but to no avail.

Is there a tool I can run on a PC (or even on the mac) which will sniff out any and all media servers and give me info on them, so perhaps I can work out what the SB is seeing? Or not seeing?

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

Is there a tool I can run on a PC (or even on the mac) which will sniff out any and all media servers and give me info on them, so perhaps I can work out what the SB is seeing? Or not seeing?

On the mac, you can use “Bonjour Browser”. Don’t know who wrote it, it’s googleable. Don’t know anything like it on the PC side.

The firefly server name and the mac share name aren’t the same, are they? That might be confusing the soundbridge.

ccomley
    Participant

Nope – anyway the Mac’s unplugged so shouldn’t be visible. No wireless card in it either.

ccomley
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@ccomley wrote:

On the mac, you can use “Bonjour Browser”. Don’t know who wrote it, it’s googleable. Don’t know anything like it on the PC side.

Grabbed that and… nothing. It installs OK, I double-click the new icon, I get the “whoosh” of a new window opening… but… no new window, no new dock item, and when I do a “ps aux” no sign of the application running.

ccomley
    Participant

OK, by process of elimination – literally unplugging devices from the network switch and rebooting the SB – I have narroed down the machine which is showing up the “incompatible” server(s) that the SB is complaining about.

It’s the XP machine which is hosting the Firefly server.

I’ve been through the config and de-installed (windows media connect – installed when trying to get Roku to see Windows library) or disabled (Slim Server – also installed when trying to set up the SB, and any obvious iTunes/iPod related tools – installed when I was trying to get SB to see Itunes-for-windows) and I’ve even rebooted the box to make sure it’s clean.

And with ONLY this box on the network with the SB, the SB says “incompatible servers found”. And if I take this box off the network, the SB says “no servers found”.

What the eff? Note, this is the only box I’ve ever used as a media server so it *has* worked both as a MMJB server (I was happy with that until I couldn’t get playlists working) and with Firefly up until now.

It may or may not be releveant that this box is installed with XP Media Centre Edition, though none of the special bits are used as it doesn’t have WMCE compatible sound or video cards, or a TV tuner. (Yet – but may never have!)

This box ALSo runs our in-house mail software which is “mailgate” (http://www.mailgate.com) that listens on port 25, 110, 21 and 8080 (the last two coz it acts as a proxy server).

Over to you?

rpedde
    Participant

@ccomley wrote:

Over to you?

I can only think of two test points.

One would be trying both wired. If the sb is wireless, try (for testing) a wired connection and see if it goes.

The other would be to get a new nightly at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org and installing it. Go into the plugins folder (c:program filesfirefly media serverplugins) and delete (or move) the daap.dll.

Then start it as normal and see what that does. If it says “no libraries found”, then it doesn’t see the rsp for some reason (router?). If it sees the library, then something strange with the sb.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.