smart playlists not updating!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dfsuther
    Participant

I have a bunch of smart playlists written to exclude recently played tunes. I seem to recall that they once worked (some months back); now, they never update. I always have the same tunes at the head of each of them.

I can play a dozen tunes on my Soundbridge. Disconnect, reconnect — same dozen tunes at the head of the list. Connect from one of my Macs. Same dozen tunes at the head of the list. I read a post either here or over at Roku’s fora that you have to reconnect to see playlist changes, so I tried connecting the soundbridge to a different server, then reconnecting to FireFly
    . Same dozen tunes at the head of the list.

There must be some terribly obvious thing I’m doing wrong. What on earth is it?

fizze
    Participant

First of all, what version of firefly are you running?
    Second: How exactly did you set up your “smart” playlist?
    Does it come from iTunes.XML ?
    Did you specify it manually through firefly’s web-admin?

dfsuther
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

First of all, what version of firefly are you running?
    Second: How exactly did you set up your “smart” playlist?
    Does it come from iTunes.XML ?
    Did you specify it manually through firefly’s web-admin?

I’ll check the version when I get home.
    I set up the smart playlist through firefly’s web-admin. It should be using firefly’s internal last-played date (whatever the proper name was).

When I get home I’ll copy the exact syntax of the playlist expression into a reply to this message.

fizze
    Participant

That sure sould help. πŸ™‚

In other news, feel free to check against:
    http://trac.fireflymediaserver.org/wiki/SmartPlaylists

for all available date fields.

dfsuther
    Participant

I originally used that very reference when writing the smart playlist expressions. Thanks for the pointer, though, as I had lost the URL and had only my tattered paper copy.

dfsuther
    Participant

And here’s the actual information. I’m using Firefly version svn-1376. A sample smart playlist that doesn’t update is specified as:

genre includes "Jazz" AND time_played before 3 weeks before today

another is

genre includes "Classical" AND time_played before 5 weeks before today AND comment !includes "Holiday"

Neither of these playlists updates successfully.

I’d be perfectly happy to update to a different version of Firefly, or make whatever other changes y’all suggest, but I had some trouble figuring out which nightly would be be a better choice. πŸ˜•

rpedde
    Participant

@dfsuther wrote:

And here’s the actual information. I’m using Firefly version svn-1376. A sample smart playlist that doesn’t update is specified as:

genre includes "Jazz" AND time_played before 3 weeks before today

another is

genre includes "Classical" AND time_played before 5 weeks before today AND comment !includes "Holiday"

Neither of these playlists updates successfully.

I’d be perfectly happy to update to a different version of Firefly, or make whatever other changes y’all suggest, but I had some trouble figuring out which nightly would be be a better choice. πŸ˜•

If those are transcoded files, that might be the problem. At some point, there was a fix for updating last played on transcoded files. Other than that, I’m not sure. If you have a particular song that you can identify, you can try playing the whole song at -d9, and watch for the “update play_count, last_played” query in the logs.

If you dont’ see it, that’s the culprit.

But I’m kind of thinking now that it might be the transcoding thing, if they are transcoded.

— Ron

dfsuther
    Participant

Files are 160Kbps AAC files. I have plenty of files that get transcoded (from Apple Lossless), but these particular files aren’t.

Any suggestions of a reasonably-stable more-modern version to try?

rpedde
    Participant

@dfsuther wrote:

Files are 160Kbps AAC files. I have plenty of files that get transcoded (from Apple Lossless), but these particular files aren’t.

Any suggestions of a reasonably-stable more-modern version to try?

1498 is stable, and recent nightlies seem stable. Between those two, not so much. πŸ™‚

dfsuther
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

1498 is stable, and recent nightlies seem stable. Between those two, not so much. πŸ™‚

I’ve finally downloaded and installed 1498. It fixes my problem completely.

Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.