Share Firefly directly from Mac Mini via Airport

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Share Firefly directly from Mac Mini via Airport

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kindvall
    Participant

Hi,

I just received mu SB M1001 and has started setting it up, but can’t reach all the way getting the SB to find the music library.

First of all, is there anything with the setup I have?
    I have a Mac Mini running OS X 10.4.8 and iTunes 7.0.1 connected directly to ADSL modem via Ethernet cable, and I want to share the music using Airport.

What I have done:
    * Installed Firefly and scanned the database. Scan seems to be OK and it has found the 16000+ songs I have.
    * Opened up port 1024, and set 1024 in the Firefly port option
    * Activated Internet sharing in OS X, creating an Airport network called Music that shares the Ethernet connection. Just for initial tests I have WEP turned off.

When I turn on the SB I can find the Music network and connect to it. Internet radio seems to work, but it can’t find any music library.
    If I open the Firefly web page from the Firefly dialog it says that bonjour and Firefly are running, but after a second or two it says that bonjour is stopped. Is this an issue?

I’m lost now, if anyone can shed some light on what to do next I’d be grateful!

Thanks in advance!

fizze
    Participant

bonjour needs a lot of weird network settings.
    one port just isnt enough. bonjour works with so called “multicasts”. And with some ports being closed, it probably shuts down itself.

the firewall settings for that have been posted in this forum a couple of times.
    So use the search function 😉

kindvall
    Participant

Tried searching before but didn’t come up with anything useful. I tried searching on firewall AND bonjour and came up with http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?p=5886#5886 which seems to be what you are referring to. I’ll try this.

As Fizze says, there are indeed a lot of strange settings for bonjour.

It may of course not be a firewall issue at all – can you switch your firewall off just long enough to see if the SB can see your server with no firewall? That would isolate the issue.

kindvall
    Participant

@falling_in2_infinity wrote:

As Fizze says, there are indeed a lot of strange settings for bonjour.

It may of course not be a firewall issue at all – can you switch your firewall off just long enough to see if the SB can see your server with no firewall? That would isolate the issue.

Will try this as well.

kindvall
    Participant

Rock’n’roll!
    Disabling the firewall did not make the library available, but the SB picked up new software (2.5.174 I think). After upgrading and re-starting, Firefly was found and the music is playing OK!
    I enabled the firewall and it still worked.
    Then I set up WEP encryption and restarted the SB to setup WEP, and everything is still rocking!

Awesome! Enjoy the music!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.