Server name disappears from iTunes

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Server name disappears from iTunes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Spiral Scratch
    Participant

Hi There…

This is a fine piece of software. Thank you.

Rebuilt my Linux homeserver with a new distro (Mepis 3.3) last weekend. Running the latest nightly the server appears in my Windows iTunes client but disappears after a variable amount of time.

Remembering that this could be caused by having multiple mdns responders running I checked and sure enough Howl had been installed by default. Uninstalled Howl, but the problem remains.

Any ideas anyone? Does anyone know if I could use something like Netstat to see what is running on which port?

Spiral Scratch
    Participant

I discovered last night that Guarddog was installed by default in the new distro. Turning it off seems to have stopped the problem.

rpedde
    Participant

It turns out there is a less drastic way to do that.. the thing it’s blocking is multicast traffic, which is traffic to 224.0.0.251 on port 5353.

If you could find a way to enable just that traffic, it would work.

Sadly, I found Guarddog to be so byzantine as unusable, at least for me. I find it curious that one could build a graphical interface more complex and unintuitive than the command-line commands it replaces. IP tables is straightforward and clear to me. Maybe it’s just me.

But if you could find a way to enable that traffic, it would work.

— Ron

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.