Runtime Error with Firefly 1519 on XP SP2 with VC support

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback Runtime Error with Firefly 1519 on XP SP2 with VC support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hans.t
    Participant

Unfortunately, I get the same error message (Runtime error R6034 while start fireflyshell.exe – attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly).

Ron, in one of the earlier posts you mentioned a redistributable VC package that would solve the problems. I installed it (downloaded it from Microsoft), restarted the PC, reinstalled the application but again – same error.

I go back to 1498 which works fine. If I can be of any help let me know

fizze
    Participant

Most interesting. Ron you switched to Visual Studio 2005 recently, didn’t you?

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Yes. As soon as you stop using 2003 or decide to write for vista, it’s no longer a simple executable. It’s manifests and side-by-side activation, and blech.

Unix solved this problem with major/minor library versions something like 25 years ago. Those that don’t understand unix are condemned to re-implement it, obviously.

WRT to not being able to start the shell app, check for a “fireflyshell.exe.manifest” in the firefly directory. If it’s there, delete it. I think that might work.

— Ron

hans.t
    Participant

When I delete the file fileflyshell.exe.manifest I get an error message that the application can not be started because the configuration of the application is wrong. Reinstallation might solve the problem

hans.t
    Participant

Problem solved (at least this one – I get a whole bunch of other problems in return but I will start a new thread on that). Apparently I got an old VC redistributable so a complete uninstall and than reinstall did the trick.

Thanks for the help! Up to the next issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The application being distributed is probably being built in Debug mode instead of release mode. A debug build won’t run on a machine without Visual Studio installed.

fizze
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@fizze wrote:

Yes. As soon as you stop using 2003 or decide to write for vista, it’s no longer a simple executable. It’s manifests and side-by-side activation, and blech.

Unix solved this problem with major/minor library versions something like 25 years ago. Those that don’t understand unix are condemned to re-implement it, obviously.

WRT to not being able to start the shell app, check for a “fireflyshell.exe.manifest” in the firefly directory. If it’s there, delete it. I think that might work.

— Ron

Wow, so much for my plans to switch to 2005 at work. Any options there to leave Vista completly out? like a “Sanity-mode” ? 😉

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Wow, so much for my plans to switch to 2005 at work. Any options there to leave Vista completly out? like a “Sanity-mode” ? 😉

Well, I think I pooched myself — I could have just used sxs the cheap way, by tossing the dlls in the directory, but I was putting the wrong version (non sp1 versus sp1) and so I was tripping over a couple different problems. Dumb on my part.

Still, though, I find it very microsoft to build a grotesque and baroque solution to what’s fundamentally a simple problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.