Running Firefly on Mac OS X w/o the pref-pane

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Running Firefly on Mac OS X w/o the pref-pane

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    moep
    Participant

Hello guys,

I recently purchased an Apple-TV and I’m pretty happy with it.
    I’m now tooling around with various modifications and replaced the 40 GB drive with a 160 GB drive – the next step would be to install firefly/mtdaapd on it so I can sync my iTunes library to the apple tv (through backrow)) and then and stream music from firefly to a bunch of other computers in this network.

So far I have disabled the watchdog and set up ssh and vnc.
    I’m able to launch various apps through the cli and can control them through vnc already.

The problem i’m facing now is that the apple tv has no Finder.app per se so the Systems Preference-Window doesn’t exist either.

Since the latest nightly of Firefly is available as a prefPane only I’m not sure how to continue.

Is there a way to compile Firefly from the SVN as a regular application that doesn’t rely on the Finder’s System-preferences?
    Or do I have to install Xcode and Fink on the little machine to get mt-daapd to run?

Any input is welcome. thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@moep wrote:

Hello guys,

I recently purchased an Apple-TV and I’m pretty happy with it.
    I’m now tooling around with various modifications and replaced the 40 GB drive with a 160 GB drive – the next step would be to install firefly/mtdaapd on it so I can sync my iTunes library to the apple tv (through backrow)) and then and stream music from firefly to a bunch of other computers in this network.

So far I have disabled the watchdog and set up ssh and vnc.
    I’m able to launch various apps through the cli and can control them through vnc already.

The problem i’m facing now is that the apple tv has no Finder.app per se so the Systems Preference-Window doesn’t exist either.

Since the latest nightly of Firefly is available as a prefPane only I’m not sure how to continue.

Is there a way to compile Firefly from the SVN as a regular application that doesn’t rely on the Finder’s System-preferences?
    Or do I have to install Xcode and Fink on the little machine to get mt-daapd to run?

Any input is welcome. thanks!

Yes, the way to compile it would be on an intel mac, and the move the binary over without the prefs pane stuff. I have a hacked appletv right in front of me, I’ll get it all set up and post a zip file of the stuff you’ll need. Hold tight, I’ll have it later tonight.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I’ll get it all set up and post a zip file of the stuff you’ll need. Hold tight, I’ll have it later tonight.

— Ron

It’s on the nightlies page at http://nightlies.mt-daapd.org. There is a link to the short walkthrough on installing it.

— Ron

moep
    Participant

incredible, thanks a lot.

I’ll install it as soon as I’m home.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.