RSP vs DAAP…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dave.B
    Participant

I’m toying with the idea of buying another SoundBridge, but I will be limited to a Pinnacle one as far as I can see.

I was playing around with the Plugins this morning as none were specified in the config file. I added the path to the plugin dir, and “rsp.so” to the plugins box, and after reatarting I get 2 music servers shown on my Roku Soundbridge.

I realise that this is expected behaviour, and a Pinnacle SoundBridge would only show the RSP one, but having both shown on the Roku box seems a bit silly, especially when they are both called “NSLU2 Music”.

How do I tell the difference between them?
    Which is better, RSP or DAAP?
    And is it possible to hide one of them on the Roku box?

I’m just testing the water at the moment. I will probably remove the plugin until I need it.

rpedde
    Participant

@Dave.B wrote:

I realise that this is expected behaviour, and a Pinnacle SoundBridge would only show the RSP one, but having both shown on the Roku box seems a bit silly, especially when they are both called “NSLU2 Music”.

Newer soundbridge firmware should suppress one of them. Strange that it doesn’t.

How do I tell the difference between them?

I’m not sure you can… I used to do name mangling so one would show up as “Servername (rsp/1.0)”, but they changed the stuff on the roku side and name mangling doesn’t work anymore — it just displays the server name.

Which is better, RSP or DAAP?

They should be exactly equivalent, except that rsp should be *much* faster.

And is it possible to hide one of them on the Roku box?

That’s a firmware issue, but as I said, I thought the lastest firmwares hid the daap one if the rsp one was present. Next nightly will make the daap server a module as well, so you can choose to load one or the other.

— Ron

Dave.B
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Newer soundbridge firmware should suppress one of them. Strange that it doesn’t.

I’m running 2.5.171. I believe there is a 173? Maybe that’s it, but I thought the differences were very few.

@rpedde wrote:

Next nightly will make the daap server a module as well, so you can choose to load one or the other.

That sounds like the best solution.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave.B
    Participant

Weird stuff going on…
    I had two servers listed, each with the same name. After restarting the SoundBridge this morning, I now only have one, which I guess is correct. Howvever, the one I have now behaves differently, in that when loading songs, it displays the number of songs as they load, which it didn’t before. Does this mean I’m now using RSP instead of DAAP?

A big downer is that it won’t now play for longer than 2-3 songs without requiring a restart of the SB. Firefly appears to be running fine though.

I’m going to remove the rsp plugin and see if that helps.

fizze
    Participant

Well, it seems that your soundbridge firmware is outdated.
    Also, what version of firefly / mt-daapd are you running ?

I can just second Ron. RSP is *much* faster. I have a roku SB and use firefly for a few months now to stream music to my SB, works like a charm (most of the time, anyway) 😉

Try to check your SB for firmware updates, or to do the beta firmware thing, if there is any.

Dave.B
    Participant

I checked, 2.5.171 is the latest release. There is 2.5.173 available as a beta if I register my MAC address with Roku. The only difference according to RokuMike is the ability to play iTunes radio station playlists.

My SB just played for over two hours before stopping. When it does, it stops mid song and just disappears from my network, not respnding to pings or serving up it’s web config pages.

I’m running svn-1359, but I’m not sure that it’s a Firefly problem, so I’m probably straying too far from the original subject.

rpedde
    Participant

@Dave.B wrote:

I checked, 2.5.171 is the latest release. There is 2.5.173 available as a beta if I register my MAC address with Roku. The only difference according to RokuMike is the ability to play iTunes radio station playlists.

My SB just played for over two hours before stopping. When it does, it stops mid song and just disappears from my network, not respnding to pings or serving up it’s web config pages.

I’m running svn-1359, but I’m not sure that it’s a Firefly problem, so I’m probably straying too far from the original subject.

The *soundbridge* disappears? that’s strange. Wireless or wired? I sure don’t see that. I don’t do them all the time, as I usually do stress or memory leak tests with a python test client, but I occasionally do stress tests with real soundbridges, and the last time I did one (probably around the 1359 timeframe), I served a couple soundbridges for several days before I moved to the next nightly.

— Ron

Dave.B
    Participant

Yes, it just disappears from my network completely. It’s not there right now. If I ping it, the request times out. If I try to access the web page it times out also.

If I restart the SoundBridge, it will connect straight away and will work fine for between 2 minutes and several hours.

All the time, Firefly is working fine, which makes me think it’s a SoundBridge problem, not Firefly… but you know best obviously.

It’s wirelessly connected, but has been working fine for months. No other changes have been made, just switching to this RSP thing, although it has been dropping its connection much less regularly for the last month or so now.

I will try and remove the RSP plugin, and I will generate a log, but I’m a bit busy at the moment.

rpedde
    Participant

@Dave.B wrote:

All the time, Firefly is working fine, which makes me think it’s a SoundBridge problem, not Firefly… but you know best obviously.

I think you are right, it does sound like a sb thing. Maybe problems in error handling on rebuffering or something?

It’s wirelessly connected, but has been working fine for months. No other changes have been made, just switching to this RSP thing, although it has been dropping its connection much less regularly for the last month or so now.

I will try and remove the RSP plugin, and I will generate a log, but I’m a bit busy at the moment.

I understand that. If possible, could you drop something in the roku forums about this? I think this is something the Roku guys would like to hear.

— Ron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.