Replaygain support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Derek

Hi.
    I just recently discovered mt-daapd, and I must say at the outset that I am probably not a typical user, in that I neither own an ipod nor use iTunes. My music is almost all in ogg format, with some mp3. I stream with mt-daapd from a Linux box (FC4) and list with Rhythmbox on FC5 (either 0.9.3.1 or cvs). This works very well, and I am generally happy. The only problem is that this setup is ignoring the replaygain tags on all my ogg files. Is it possible to support this with DAAP? The replaygain tags are just comment tags afaik, so if they get sent, I presume Rhythmbox will honour them? It works fine when the files are local to the box playing them. If I am misunderstanding any of this, please enlighten me. 🙂

Derek

rpedde
    Participant

Yeeeees. Sorta. iTunes does have a dmap atom for something like replaygain. (asrv – song.relativevolume, iTunes calls it).

I don’t think they are expressed in the same terms though. Might take some experimentation to get it right, but it’s doable.

The only problem with that is that it would take a db schema update, and I can’t do that until I get my db upgrader done. So it’s stacked behind another ticket. I will open a ticket for this, though, just to have it done.

obtw, are you transcoding? If not, then I would have thought your client would honor the settings from the tag. Unless it doesn’t read tags from streamed songs.

ticket http://trac.mt-daapd.org/index.cgi/ticket/30 here, if you want to rss it or something.

Post edited by: rpedde, at: 2006/03/29 23:26

Derek

Excellent, thanks for considering this Ron. I am not transcoding, just streaming the oggs directly to Rhythmbox, so yeah, if the tags are sent in the stream, maybe rb is just ignoring them. Is there any way to check whether they are actually present in the stream? Perhaps I should ask the Rhythmbox guys.

FYI, I am using mt-daapd 0.2.4.

Cheers.

rpedde
    Participant

Well, if you are streaming it, then it’s moving across the network byte-for-byte. If the tags are in the original file, they move across as part of the stream.

Now it might be that rhythmbox will read the info from the dmap block and honor that even if it doesn’t honor the tag info in the streamed file.

So I’ll give it a shot, and maybe it works, maybe not.

–Ron

Mike
    Participant

I too welcome our even volumed overlords. Seriously though, I’d like to see replaygain support across the whole of mt-daapd. My collection is mostly mp3’s, but they’ve been collected from a number of sources, and the volume levels can vary quite wildly. I believe the majority of my files actually contain replaygain values, from a little adventure with scripting a few years ago.
    As for transcoded files, wouldn’t that actually be a matter for the transcoding script, and getting whatever is decoding the .ogg or .flac or whatnot to recognize the replaygain values?

rpedde
    Participant

I’m not sure that adjusting the waveform on the transcode side is the “right” thing to do. Surely it should be the player that should read the dmap tags and decide to apply replaygain. I’m *sure* iTunes would do it that way.

Maybe the thing to do would be to implement something and see how it works empirically. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.