QNAP TS209 pro and firefly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jimbob2
    Participant

I have been running firefly on a mac for the past year and been very pleased with it. I bought a NAS box (QNAP 209 pro) so I could turn off the mac, but using the installed twonky server is very slow at listing albums etc and it does not show the itunes playlists.

Has anyone installed firefly on a 209 before? if so is it fast and how do you do it? and what version of firefly do you need?

Any help appreciated. I have been searching forum after forum for some info on this but no luck.

rpedde
    Participant

@jimbob2 wrote:

I have been running firefly on a mac for the past year and been very pleased with it. I bought a NAS box (QNAP 209 pro) so I could turn off the mac, but using the installed twonky server is very slow at listing albums etc and it does not show the itunes playlists.

Has anyone installed firefly on a 209 before? if so is it fast and how do you do it? and what version of firefly do you need?

Any help appreciated. I have been searching forum after forum for some info on this but no luck.

Chrooted debian seems most likely from this post:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OpenTurbostation/message/863

But it may be that someone has optware already ported. Anyone know?

jimbob2
    Participant

Thanks for the info rpedde, but you have lost me there.

Are there any instructions anywhere which show how to install this? Complete linux novice, but I have managed to telnet into the 209.

Is firefly also know as mt-daap, is it the same thing?

rpedde
    Participant

@jimbob2 wrote:

Thanks for the info rpedde, but you have lost me there.

Are there any instructions anywhere which show how to install this? Complete linux novice, but I have managed to telnet into the 209.

I don’t see anything for the 209 that’s really at the novice state right now. Or even in the “novice but willing to hack about a bit” state. It looks like (from just a brief google browse) that it’s still pretty hard core.

I imagine at some point someone will release a full firmware release or something, and the bar will be significantly lowered, in terms of linux knowledge.

Is firefly also know as mt-daap, is it the same thing?

Yup, that’s the old, non marketing-friendly name.

— Ron

The Highlander
    Participant

I was looking for a QNAP too.
    In the datasheet I can find that an iTunes server is preinstalled.
    Does that mean mt-daap is now installed?

rpedde
    Participant

@The Highlander wrote:

I was looking for a QNAP too.
    In the datasheet I can find that an iTunes server is preinstalled.
    Does that mean mt-daap is now installed?

Almost certainly. Although most of the hardware vendors (except hp) are using 0.2.4 rather than nightlies, so most of the device out there that advertise iTunes compatibility won’t work with pinnacle devices, since they are the old stable.

— Ron

The Highlander
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

… most of the hardware vendors (except hp) are using 0.2.4 rather than nightlies …
    — Ron

OK, that’s not what I expected 🙁

But which HP device has a current FireFly version installed?
    Do you speak about the Media Vault?
    If yes, which version is installed?

rpedde
    Participant

@The Highlander wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

… most of the hardware vendors (except hp) are using 0.2.4 rather than nightlies …
    — Ron

OK, that’s not what I expected 🙁

But which HP device has a current FireFly version installed?
    Do you speak about the Media Vault?
    If yes, which version is installed?

No, I was speaking of the MediaSmart server – the windows home server based server. It’s running from the stable-aspl-free branch, which is somewhere around svn 1359 or so.

— Ron

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.