Problems ripping AAC with iTunes 7.5 & Quicktime 7.3?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Problems ripping AAC with iTunes 7.5 & Quicktime 7.3?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Soundbridge 3.0.44.
    mt-daapd 0.2.4.1 on NSLU2 (unslung)
    I recently upgraded to iTunes 7.5 (from 7.4).

I ripped a CD into AAC (same settings as always).
    When I try to play the new files SB says “unable to play song”.
    Re-ripped the CD as MP3, SB can now play the songs.

The only differences that I’ve found so far are:
    These play OK:
    – MP3s ripped with iTunes 7.5
    – AACs ripped with iTunes 7.4 & Quicktime 7.2

These won’t play:
    – AACs ripped with iTunes 7.5 & Quicktime 7.3

Anybody else have a similar problem?

rpedde
    Participant

@iemsley wrote:

Soundbridge 3.0.44.
    mt-daapd 0.2.4.1 on NSLU2 (unslung)
    I recently upgraded to iTunes 7.5 (from 7.4).

I ripped a CD into AAC (same settings as always).
    When I try to play the new files SB says “unable to play song”.
    Re-ripped the CD as MP3, SB can now play the songs.

The only differences that I’ve found so far are:
    These play OK:
    – MP3s ripped with iTunes 7.5
    – AACs ripped with iTunes 7.4 & Quicktime 7.2

These won’t play:
    – AACs ripped with iTunes 7.5 & Quicktime 7.3

Anybody else have a similar problem?

No, but these should probably be directed to the roku forums, as this sounds like a soundbridge issue.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

have a similar problem, so I think it’s a firefly problem. Here’s my system:

I’m currently running mt-daapd 2.4.1 on openSUSE 10.3. I use this server to hold my apple lossless files.

I make apple lossless files in a crazy way. I use Exact Audio Copy on my PC to rip the CD, I then convert to FLAC. I use XLD on the MAc to convert from FLAC to AAC. I have an issue with the two albums I have processed since I switched to Leopard.

mt-daapd runs properly and shows up in the newest version of iTunes. It streams the older ripped tracks just fine. The newest tracks it plays some and doesn’t others. When I click play iTunes sits at 0:00. If I hit fast forward, I get an exclamation point and it goes to the next song. It may or may not play. On an album with 12 tracks, it can play 3.

The entries in /var/log/messages doesn’t show any errors, or anything out of the ordinary.

I tried the latest nightly and I can’t seem to get it to run (it complains about not being able to open the database).

So it’s not the Roku because I’m using iTunes and have a similar problem.

I’m very willing to help debug if there is anything I can do.

Sheldon

rpedde
    Participant

@stokessd wrote:

mt-daapd runs properly and shows up in the newest version of iTunes. It streams the older ripped tracks just fine. The newest tracks it plays some and doesn’t others. When I click play iTunes sits at 0:00. If I hit fast forward, I get an exclamation point and it goes to the next song. It may or may not play. On an album with 12 tracks, it can play 3.

The entries in /var/log/messages doesn’t show any errors, or anything out of the ordinary.

That sounds like a regular non-fast start m4a problem, documented here:

http://www.rokulabs.com/support_sb_ts_playback.php

(under when I try to play certain aac files…). That also happens on iTunes though. I’d be happy to take a look at a file if you wanted to email it to me at [email protected], though.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

According to Roku’s site:

In order to play AAC files properly over the network, the AAC file must be optimized for “fast-start streaming”. All recent versions of iTunes do this automatically when creating AAC files. However, some other encoders (including Nero and FAAC) do not optimize the files for fast-start streaming.

I tried ripping the files in the newest version of iTunes directly to AAC. Same problem.

I can’t mail you a file as they are like 20 meg each. Do you have an FTP site that I can drop one?

Actually I think I didn’t explain my setup properly before. I’m streaming from mt-daapd 2.4.1 to iTunes. I use airport expresses to feed music to several systems around the house via airtunes. the issue is that Apple lossless files I’ve made using iTunes 7.5 play fine when residing locally, but when I move them to my server and use mt-daapd, they do not play on the came iTunes client. This hasn’t happened before, I’ve got like 800 albums of Apple Lossless files that mt-daapd is serving up nicely. It’s something that changed recently.

Sheldon

S80_UK
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

That sounds like a regular non-fast start m4a problem, documented here:

http://www.rokulabs.com/support_sb_ts_playback.php

If that is the problem, then I found that dBpoweramp (the batch converter for audio files) has a .m4a plug-in which includes a nice .m4a optimiser. That fixes the problem with AAC files encoded with tags / seek tables at the end of the file rather than at the beginning and solves the slow start (or won’t start) problem which it causes.

Les.

rpedde
    Participant

@stokessd wrote:

I tried ripping the files in the newest version of iTunes directly to AAC. Same problem.

I can’t mail you a file as they are like 20 meg each. Do you have an FTP site that I can drop one?

Not really, although I guess I could set one up easily enough. If you email me, I can get you the info.

This hasn’t happened before, I’ve got like 800 albums of Apple Lossless files that mt-daapd is serving up nicely. It’s something that changed recently.

I’ll also see if I can relplicate this locally.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I just tried this again with iTunes 7.6 and Quicktime 7.4, same problem. The apple lossless files play fine locally (in iTunes and the finder), but do not play via mt-daapd (2.4.1). Again, I’m trying to stream from mt-daapd in a lunix box, through iTunes on a mac to my airport expresses.

Here’s a file:

http://quadesl.com/temp/01%20Runaway%20Momma.m4a

This is the first track from this album:

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Sessions-Merle-Haggard/dp/B000UNXH0W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1200526019&sr=8-1

I ripped it using iTunes 7.6.

Sheldon

rpedde
    Participant

@stokessd wrote:

The apple lossless files play fine locally (in iTunes and the finder), but do not play via mt-daapd (2.4.1). Again, I’m trying to stream from mt-daapd in a lunix box, through iTunes on a mac to my airport expresses.

Does it play minus the airport express?

Because I can play it from mt-daapd, only I’m not relayin it to the airport.

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

No it doesn’t. iTunes sits on 0:00 time and nothing happens.

Correction: I’m an idiot, it plays fine. Apparently quicktime 7.4 has fixed the problem. After reripping everything is working well. 7.3 seems to be the issue.

Sheldon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.