Problem with firefly over VPN using Windows

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Problem with firefly over VPN using Windows

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello!

I’m having trouble getting my iTunes client to discover the firefly server using a VPN-connection over the Internet. The iTunes client is running on WinXP and the firefly server runs on win2k3.

The firefly server is working. When running iTunes locally the library is found.
    The iTunes client is working – findning other shared libraries on my LAN.
    The VPN-connection works.
    The computers can ping each other.
    The winXP computer can access the firefly web interface on port 9999.
    The firewall for the VPN-interface on both client and server is disabled.

Still, the library refuses to show in the iTunes client.
    When connecting to the VPN server something (the library?) pops up in the shared library section in iTunes, but it disappears before I can read what it says.

What am I missing?
    How can i troubleshoot this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi mate,

I’m neither a Firefly or an iTunes expert, but i would imagine that as with most VPNs, yours is being treated as a ‘gateway’ – meaning that as far as iTunes is concerned, anything beyond a gateway is on a network outside your LAN, and won’t go looking there. Kind of like why you can’t find any Firefly servers that are on the internet – because they’re beyond what your client sees within its local subnet.

Of course you can ping and get to the web interface, because you’re defining an address outside of your LAN – whereas iTunes probably just looks around what local resources are available to it.

I could be wrong though!

Regards,
    Justin

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah… Sounds fair.

Thanks for your help.

I just installed Rendezvous proxy on the client computer and added the firefly server as a host for my local daap-traffic. Works like a charm.. 🙂

Do I need the VPN at all, or is it enough with the proxy? 😮

rpedde
    Participant

@Toett wrote:

Yeah… Sounds fair.

Thanks for your help.

I just installed Rendezvous proxy on the client computer and added the firefly server as a host for my local daap-traffic. Works like a charm.. 🙂

Do I need the VPN at all, or is it enough with the proxy? 😮

If you were crazy, you *could* port forward from your firewall/gateway and just use the rendezvous proxy, but that’s crazy.

I think vpn+proxy is the best move.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.