Problem w/ .m3u file created by MediaSmart Client(BUG FOUND)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Problem w/ .m3u file created by MediaSmart Client(BUG FOUND)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, I am using the version of Firefly that comes with the HP MediaSmart server. It appears that they have an app (MediaAggregation.exe) that runs on the client PC, copies the iTunes library to the server and creates .m3u files for the static playlists. I have one entry in a .m3u file created by this client that errors with a bad: path not found error. The exact firefly.log entry is:

2008-01-03 21:28:25 (27dcc76d): Playlist entry ..CDocuments and SettingsBobMy DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes MusicTom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits1 American Girl.m4a bad: Path not found

The file is there. It streams fine from the server to iTunes. The playlist shows up in iTunes it’s just missing this one song. I was not sure if this was a problem with the HP client app or your server so I thought I would start here for ideas. The line in the .m3u is:

..CDocuments and SettingsBobMy DocumentsMy MusiciTunesiTunes MusicTom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits1 American Girl.m4a

Not sure why it will not pick it up. Thoughts anyone?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Would increasing the debug level help at all in figuring this out? Kind of like to get my playlist working…

Thx,

— Bob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Case sensitivity is the problem. It appears the processing of song paths in the .m3u files by the firefly server is case sensitive.

It looks like when I ripped the first CD from Tom Petty into iTunes it created the directory with a lowercase “t” on “the” (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers). So the file directory in the iTunes library on my local PC was created this way. Also, the entry in the iTunes Music Library.xml is this way.

Now, I also ripped a second CD from Tom Petty that was put in the same “Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers” directory, except the entry in the iTunes Music Library.xml has a capital “T” (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers).

So, when the HP client aggregator runs, it copied my iTunes library up to the SmartServer and created the same lower case “t” directory just like my local drive. Then when it processed the playlists from the iTunes Music Library.xml I had a song from the second CD and so it created an entry in the .m3u file that has a capital “T”. So, I ended up with a lower case “t” directory on the music share on the server but a capital “T” entry in the .m3u playlist file. So, the Firefly server can’t find the file given it’s case sensitivity.

Probably not something that HP would have been able to easily test for assuming they knew it was case sensitive. I guess HP could make sure there entries in the .m3u files match the files in the file system and not assume iTunes has it right. It also seems like it would sure be nice if the Windows version of your server was not case sensitive when processing .m3u files given that file lookups in Windows is generally not case sensitive. This would help avoid these problems. Just my limited thought on it however…

I should add that the server is working great otherwise. I do have other issues with the aggregator however…

— Bob

stretch
    Participant

On Firefly’s advanced configuration page is a setting titled Case Sensitivity, it’s located in the scanning section & the default setting is Yes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks stretch. This is good to know. I missed that little advanced link at the top of the web interface. I will change this option and retest.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still not sure I get the problem. Could you show me the relevant lines from your iTunes library?

Jester

stretch
    Participant

The line in slabo’s library file reads

...Tom Petty & The HeartbreakersGreatest Hits1 American Girl.m4a

but the actual path is

...Tom Petty & the HeartbreakersGreatest Hits1 American Girl.m4a

the slight difference meant that Firefly couldn’t find the track all because the *t* in *the* was a *T* instead of a *t*

Note: I have abbreviated the path somewhat to make the difference clearer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.